Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

I certainly hope this doesn't end up in court, because clearly the Rams would lose.

The CBA takes precedence over any such agreement. I don't know why they would even continue with this. The League says you can not do it, Jeff Fisher. PERIOD.....end of discussion.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I certainly hope this doesn't end up in court, because clearly the Rams would lose.

The CBA takes precedence over any such agreement. I don't know why they would even continue with this. The League says you can not do it, Jeff Fisher. PERIOD.....end of discussion.
    Although I think the Jenkins team took advantage of the situation to get what they wanted, it really doesn't matter. You're absolutely right, the CBA is the bottom line and the Rams can't force Jenkins to use a specific financial advisor.

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances and both Fisher and Jenkins are probably not happy campers right now. Hopefully it will all get settled in an amicable way with no hard feelings. The last thing we need going into the season is drama.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think Fisher wanted to take the risk and he took it. We picked up a guy that we knew from the get-go could present problems. Well, here we are, experiencing problems even before training camp. I can see both sides of the issue. Fisher wanted some assurance he could mitigate the risk and Jenkin's wants the freedom to make his own decisions. Of course, Jenkins has shown extremely poor judgement in the past, hence the problem.

The Jenkins pick has already bit us in the butt, I say let him walk and cut your losses. The chances that this guy implodes in a spectacular fashion are way too high. Easy for me to say, but I don't bet on a happy ending here.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

You gotta point there, it's kinda like the CBA is like the Constitution of the NFL. I don't really think this is a big deal, they should settle this matter soon enough. It just takes one blemish from your image for the media to make it look like a giant zit.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    The Jenkins pick has already bit us in the butt, I say let him walk and cut your losses. The chances that this guy implodes in a spectacular fashion are way too high. Easy for me to say, but I don't bet on a happy ending here.
    Since it is the finals of wimbeldon today it's fitting to respond to this with.... You Cannot Be Serious

Not sure exactly how Jenkins has bit us in the butt, considering all he is doing is following the RULES set forth by the union.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

It is not going to get complicated as you guys think. I think the Rams will sign him with the provision Jenkins stays with the specific advisor, and the Rams will bump the contract money up so he doesn't have to pay out of his pocket.

Both sides are at fault, both sides have a case. Rams don't have a winning one, but you can certainly see where they are coming from. I think this will workout fine. Just sucks to have a roller coaster start with Jenkins. I think Jenkins won't even care much if Rams move quickly and bury this fast, I know most people woudln't in this case

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Although I think the Jenkins team took advantage of the situation to get what they wanted, it really doesn't matter. You're absolutely right, the CBA is the bottom line and the Rams can't force Jenkins to use a specific financial advisor.

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances and both Fisher and Jenkins are probably not happy campers right now. Hopefully it will all get settled in an amicable way with no hard feelings. The last thing we need going into the season is drama.
    ^ This

If not (and the story is true), this \/

Keep it out of the courts and CBA control by not signing him. He has already shown that he cannot be taken at his word.
    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I think Fisher wanted to take the risk and he took it. We picked up a guy that we knew from the get-go could present problems. Well, here we are, experiencing problems even before training camp. I can see both sides of the issue. Fisher wanted some assurance he could mitigate the risk and Jenkin's wants the freedom to make his own decisions. Of course, Jenkins has shown extremely poor judgement in the past, hence the problem.

It bit us in the butt by spending a high pick than originally planned. If we don't sign him, as I suggest above, we wasted a pick on a non-player.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    It is not going to get complicated as you guys think. I think the Rams will sign him with the provision Jenkins stays with the specific advisor, and the Rams will bump the contract money up so he doesn't have to pay out of his pocket.

Both sides are at fault, both sides have a case. Rams don't have a winning one, but you can certainly see where they are coming from. I think this will workout fine. Just sucks to have a roller coaster start with Jenkins. I think Jenkins won't even care much if Rams move quickly and bury this fast, I know most people woudln't in this case
    This is the only control we have. A contract that is based on his actions. If this is even possible, the contract would have no bonus, or a bonus that converts back into non-guaranteed annual salaries, which he will have to pay back.

gap

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by OG
    It is not going to get complicated as you guys think.
    Don't look now, but it already is.
    Ramendola16 and RuffRams like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

NFL, Yardbarker and Scout all have new articles regarding the Jenkins dispute claim. It looks like the Yahoo Sports report (Jason Cole) from a couple of days ago may be a bunch of BS.
    Who'd a thunk!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I'm sure Jeff, Les, and Kevin are aware of the rules that prevent the Rams from legally as in a court of law, forcing JJ to accede to an advisor of the Rams' choice. However, JJ and team (not necessarily in that order) apparently told the Rams what they wanted to hear in order to be selected at the #39 spot. This whole dilemma exists because the Rams understandably wished to forestall circumstances (behavior, rash decisions etc.) that could have a deleterious effect on JJ's career and of course the team overall. Asking for JJ's word is not prohibited by the CBA. Because of all the red flags JJ has so diligently earned throughout his path to the NFL, there is no reason to expect that he should feel singled out or picked upon.

As far as I know, both sides need to agree before a contract is signed. JJ is an extremely talented player, but the Rams can and will move on without him if he surrounds himself with people of his own choosing - (and yes Fortuninerhater we all realize he is within his legal rights to do so) - who advise him poorly. Jeff Fisher is no fool, and he will not let JJ upset the applecart. Either JJ comes to his senses, or he'll end up playing elsewhere for a lot less money - particularly if this escalates into a full blown media mess. Having said that, I'll also surmise that the Jeff and crew will not be posturing through the media, rather they'll allow JJ to have the floor.

JJ has taken out a loan based on his projected slotted salary. The Rams have leverage - albeit not in a court of law in this instance - but leverage none the less. JJ is going to need that money sooner than later, and nothing his crew of advisors can do will force the Rams hand IMO. Let's keep this in perspective: Janoris Jenkins is not Sam Bradford. He is not a franchise player. there was very good reason for the Rams to ask for his word in this matter. It set a tone, and right now JJ is (on the advice of his "team of advisors") willingly sailing his ship into reef ridden waters. JJ had better stop worrying about what is CBA legal, and use some common sense if he has any ..

Janoris Jenkins' agent: No pre-draft verbal agreement

By Brian McIntyre
    Around the League writer

Last week, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that Jenkins was in a dispute with the Rams over a pre-draft verbal agreement that Jenkins, who has had off-field issues during his college career, would hire a business manager, specifically Lou Taylor of Tri Star Sports & Entertainment, to advise him on his finances.

Such an arrangement would impermissible under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. As such, Jenkins' representatives say the pre-draft verbal agreement with the Rams is fictional.

"At no point before, during or after the 2012 NFL draft was there ever any promise from us to the Rams that Janoris would hire a specific financial adviser," Jenkins' agent, Malik Shareef of Dimensional Sports, said in a statement to Scout.com on Saturday.

Both Yahoo! Sports and Scout.com report that Jenkins had already hired a financial adviser, Rich DeLuca of Merrill Lynch, to oversee his new-found wealth. As the No. 39 pick in this year's draft, Jenkins' four-year contract has an expected value in the $5 million range with a signing bonus of $2,082,924.

In addition to his financial adviser, the Rams reportedly might also seek to defer a good portion of Jenkins' signing bonus, which would not violate the CBA and would be consistent with how they've handled rookie contracts in this and previous seasons.

The Rams had three picks in the top 40. According to a source with knowledge of the signed contracts for first-round defensive tackle Michael Brockers and second-round wide receiver Brian Quick, a portion of their signing bonuses, just over 25 percent for Quick and over 50 percent for Brockers, have been deferred to 2013. Given Jenkins' past, the Rams are likely looking to defer as much of his bonus as possible.

From Rotoworld:

The player rep for unsigned second-round pick Janoris Jenkins denies that he's in a serious contract dispute with the Rams
    I wonder what his definition of "serious" is? I wonder if it jibes with how Fisher sees the situation? Guess we'll find out in a few days when he'll most likely be presented with some interesting contract clauses.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

This to me is like a classic example of a parent/child relationship. Imagime your 15-18yrs old and and just got your first job. And your parents say just but ALL your money in the bank and we will give you a weekly allowance to take care of you and we"l handle your bills (car insurance, cell phone, etc) with your own money. And oh ye, we are gonna take a few bucks for our time too, but not too much though... 20 or 30 bucks.... Now anyone would naturally rebel against this and try to get around it becuase afterall its your money and you should do what you want with it. But in the long run your parents have your best interest at heart but you just cant see it right now. It may take a few years for you to see the point.So those of you who fualt jenkins need to be ashamed becuase you wouldnt like it either. You would want to feel like an adult and handle your biz your way. I think the rams should have INITIALLY SAID they would hire him a finacial advisor AND foot the bill and if you dont agree we cant draft you. Instead of we WANT u to hire one and if u agree we will draft you.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    So those of you who fualt jenkins need to be ashamed becuase you wouldnt like it either.
    I'm not ashamed in the least. The Rams made their intentions known up front, and Jenkins subsequently agreed, even reportedly signing documents with Fisher's desired advisor. The Rams also made it clear that if Jenkins wasn't agreeable with their proposal, they wouldn't draft him. He was, they did, and now we have this. If Jenkins didn't want the nanny treatment created by his past actions, he should have told the Rams no thanks, I'll take my chances elsewhere. He made the decision to go along with the plan.

Again, Jenkins has the right to choose his own financial advisor, despite misleading the Rams. Now we'll see what he says to a contract with deferred money and other restrictive clauses.
    MauiRam likes this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I can't keep from thinking of the role played by "army staff sargent, Sandy Cornelio".

Bodyguard?

Inforcer?

Alarm Clock (bugler)?

Personal Trainer?

Pharmacist?
    BlueTalon and prof22693 like this.
    Let the hype begin.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I could understand the Rams having issues if the financial advisor that Jenkins had was just some guy he knew, like his relative or something.

But the guy Jenkins has is a financial advisor working for Merril Lynch, who is certified with the NFLPA and started his career as a financial advisor two years before Janoris Jenkins was born.