Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

Some people seem to be so quick to jump all over Jenkins on this, but they don't seem to have actually read or understand the situation

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

I think I understand the situation quite clearly. I can understand a person wanting to pick someone with whom he is comfortable. I understand management cannot force a particular person on a guy because it violates the collective bargaining agreement. I can understand a guy being caught up in the moment of being drafted that he'd agree to something he may not realize isn't within the framework of the CBA. But my view is that the collective bargaining agreement is screwed up- and once again reflects the pomposity of the Union. That ownership would agree to it is also mind-boggling to me. If I own a 700 million dollar franchise and I'm going to pay millions in salary to someone with a checkered past, I'd sure as hell want a little more ability to safeguard my investment than to merely be able to "suggest" a guy for my player.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

This got a lot of play on talk radio in St. Louis, and I don't think it will go away. It could if Jenkins just shuts up and plays, but what are the chances of that happening?

I agree with a lot of points Rambos made. I do think Fisher is ultimately making himself look bad, its a bad situation of his own making. It was risky.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Fisher and the Rams FO did a lot of PR post draft. Now they need to get the contract done and back up why the took JJ so high in the draft.
    Agreed.

If anything I think JJ may have shown he's not a fool by standing his ground on this. I think it's strange that he had to ask a rep at the rookie symposium. Did he not ask his agent who agreed to these terms? He obviously was on happy with that and sought out advise. To me it showed me he's willing to stand up for himself when apparently no one around you would.
    The other side of that coin is he has earned his "special treatment" by irresponsible behavior. A few of us here feel that if JJ made a promise to Coach Fisher if the Rams were to draft him at #39 in rd. two, reneging on it is a poor way to start.

That said, Nick brought up a salient point that can't be ignored. None of us have precise facts about what was actually discussed or agreed upon. My point was, that blowing off a promise (assuming it was made), is a poor way to earn your head coach's trust - that's all.

That being said treat JJ with the same respect you would Bradford or any other player, don't try and pull a fast one on him. YOU drafted a kid that needs your support and it look and smells like Fisher is trying to take advantage of him.
    I thought respect had to be earned. I find it hard to believe you'd compare what JJ has earned via his behavior, compared to what Sam has earned through his .. By attempting to place JJ in a structured environment, Fisher is supporting him.

The bottom line is how much money do you really need to get into trouble? None!
    Never thought about that one - you are absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    This got a lot of play on talk radio in St. Louis, and I don't think it will go away. It could if Jenkins just shuts up and plays, but what are the chances of that happening?
    It's never to late to learn, but maybe JJ's "advisors" are fanning the flames ..

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I agree with a lot of points Rambos made. I do think Fisher is ultimately making himself look bad, its a bad situation of his own making. It was risky.
    How exactly is Fisher making himself look bad? Because he tried to set some guidelines for JJ's behavior? I really believe Jeff Fisher would like nothing more than to see JJ knuckle down and become a great player both on and off the field. Why do we keep hearing that Fish is a "player's coach"? Jeff hasn't earned the respect he's garnered around the league by taking advantage of players, rather, it's likely because he's been honest with them.

svh01 is offline Registered User

My 2 cents is that IF that an agreement was made and Fisher told him about an advisor, Jenkins could have changed his mind once he heard the price of the recommended advisor. I'm pretty sure that even if Fisher did recommend an advisor he probably didn't discuss the cost with Jenkins or his advisors. Giving both parties the benefit of the doubt, JJ probably met with the advisor, heard the cost and got cold feet. He then went out and found an experience advisor that is approved by the NFLPA that was more in his "price range". This is fair.

Put yourself in his shoes. If someone gave a contractor to build your house and they gave you an estimate of 500k to do the work and you found someone that was just as qualified that would build the same house for 250k who would you chose?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Put yourself in his shoes.
    Ok......but where will I find weed and baby mamas this time of the day?
    Ramhearder likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I must be missing something. There are a lot of assumptions and knee-jerk reactions (guilty) in this thread.
    A, and B, NO ONE has a verbatim transcript of what was said. All we have verbatim is a typically carefully-worded statement from his agent, which really says nothing, since signed docs either exist or they don't.
    So...

First off, exactly what is not allowed per the CBA. Suggesting/recommending an advisor? I doubt it.
    Telling Jenkins "use this guy/gal, or we don't sign you"? Probably.

OK, so I'm Fisher, Snead and Demoff, and feel (not sayin' it happened), that Jenkins reneged on his word.
    So, is everyone on this board really sayng that there would be nothing else these three could think of to do
    during contract negotiations to extract "payback", (for lack of a better word), for what they feel happened?

And is this really about 30K a year, (as opposed to what - 20K?), aginst a $1.25 M contract?

Av's right, combination slow news day / tempest in a teapot, and he'll be in camp day one, with no hard feelings on eother side.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    How exactly is Fisher making himself look bad?
    If you're to believe Jason Cole's account of the story, Fisher made Jenkins' agent agree to a pre-condition that was not allowed by the CBA, the Rams are being contacted by both the league and the NFLPA about it, they're apparently telling someone that they're aware they can't have pre-conditions, and yet the contract is being held up because Fisher is insistent on this unallowed pre-condition being met.

You really don't see how this situation, again if the above account is accurate, could result in Fisher looking bad?

It's important to withhold judgment until all the facts are out, but if Fisher really is trying to force an illegal pre-condition into Jenkins' contract, even if it may make sense for a guy with a checkered past, I don't see how he comes out smelling like roses for how it was handled.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

A few of us here feel that if JJ made a promise to Coach Fisher if the Rams were to draft him at #39 in rd. two, reneging on it is a poor way to start.

That said, Nick brought up a salient point that can't be ignored. None of us have precise facts about what was actually discussed or agreed upon. My point was, that blowing off a promise (assuming it was made), is a poor way to earn your head coach's trust - that's all.
    Fair enough if you believe JJ made the deal and after he got what he wanted drafted then is backing out of it. Yeah I agree he is really putting himself in the dog house with coach.

I thought respect had to be earned. I find it hard to believe you'd compare what JJ has earned via his behavior, compared to what Sam has earned through his .. By attempting to place JJ in a structured environment, Fisher is supporting him.
    I'm saying respect his rights. We all have rights. He has the same rights that Bradford has when it comes to the terms of his contract. The Rams had the right to just say no to JJ and his behavior. By drafting him they don't have the right to ask him to agree to terms that are not within the CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you're to believe Jason Cole's account of the story, Fisher made Jenkins' agent agree to a pre-condition that was not allowed by the CBA, the Rams are being contacted by both the league and the NFLPA about it, they're apparently telling someone that they're aware they can't have pre-conditions, and yet the contract is being held up because Fisher is insistent on this unallowed pre-condition being met.

You really don't see how this situation, again if the above account is accurate, could result in Fisher looking bad?

It's important to withhold judgment until all the facts are out, but if Fisher really is trying to force an illegal pre-condition into Jenkins' contract, even if it may make sense for a guy with a checkered past, I don't see how he comes out smelling like roses for how it was handled.
    I guess we will see when all the facts do (if they ever do) come out ..

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Av's right, combination slow news day / tempest in a teapot, and he'll be in camp day one, with no hard feelings on eother side.
    At the end of the day, Vegas and Av will likely be proved correct on this one. One thing we can all agree upon now, is the hope that JJ becomes a great player for us ..

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Ok......but where will I find weed and baby mamas this time of the day?
    Incorrigible is the word that comes to mind .. completely incorrigible Hub ..
    Rambos likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Incorrigible is the word that comes to mind .. completely incorrigible Hub ..
    Let's see here......incorrigible
    incorporeity......incorpse....incorrect....incorresponding....ah! Here it is: incorrigible.

in-cor-ri-gi-ble
    [in-kawr-i-juh-buhl]
    Adjective
    1. Not corrigible

Not corrigible??? Who the heck are you calling not corrigible? I can corrige with the best of them....I think. Wait, let me get my dictionary again......corrientes.....corrigan....corrigenda....
    Rambos and Bar-bq like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess we will see when all the facts do (if they ever do) come out ..
    Which they likely won't. But if Fisher is insisting that a player abide by an agreement that isn't allowed due to the CBA, I don't see how he comes out of this situation looking good, even if Jenkins did initially agree to it before backing off.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Which they likely won't. But if Fisher is insisting that a player abide by an agreement that isn't allowed due to the CBA, I don't see how he comes out of this situation looking good, even if Jenkins did initially agree to it before backing off.
    If this is still the case, then you're absolutely right Nick. If he hasn't already, Fisher needs to let it go.

Everybody involved in this fiasco looks bad IMO.
    RealRam likes this.