Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rams' Jason Smith, Barry Richardson battling

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams' Jason Smith, Barry Richardson battling

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How much better did Smith grade out over Richardson last year?
    Rather significantly, actually. Jason Smith was Pro Football Focus's 37th ranked offensive tackle, a ranking that includes both left and right tackles. Not a great mark, but if you take pure left tackles out of the equation, Smith would have been 16th among right tackles. Barry Richardson ranked 75th among all tackles, 38th among just right tackles.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

richtree is offline Registered User

I don't think it is a bad thing if we have 2 RT's for the year. Smith obviously has talents and not motivated to get it out of him.

Richardson obviously has the will but lacks big talent. This is the perfect recipe to keep both of them playing at a high level throughout the entire season. My biggest problem with the last coaching staff was that they didn't make changes when things were not working on the Oline.

Obviously, we don't a long term answer at RT -- but we just need to find a way to make it through the season with something that works.

There are always more guys out there that we can bring in.....

I think our other 4 spots are fine for the season, and the TEs will help.....FisherKing will find a way..

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rather significantly, actually. Jason Smith was Pro Football Focus's 37th ranked offensive tackle, a ranking that includes both left and right tackles. Not a great mark, but if you take pure left tackles out of the equation, Smith would have been 16th among right tackles. Barry Richardson ranked 75th among all tackles, 38th among just right tackles.
    Can't debate those numbers BUT Smith missed how many games? Again I don't think Richardson beats out Smith ( I hope not anyways). I see this more as a clear message to Smith to pick it up! The new regime did not draft you at number two and did not pay you all that cash. In fact the new regime made you take a pay cut.

It's also interesting that it was not until the pads or the hitting started that Smith has been working with the two's.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How that? Is he losing reps? Yes, then he's being pushed. Does not matter who is taking the reps from him. If you read what the coaches are saying you would get it. Here is what Boudreau, said about who will start.

So Richardson may not have been playing at a high level prior to getting coached by coach Boudreau, neither was Harvey Dahl prior to working with coach. We all know Fisher is not going to use a high draft pick to draft a blue chipper he's going to take a player like Dahl and coach him up. Now I'm not saying that Richardson is that guy, what I'm saying is, if you or I came to work and someone was starting to take our workload away no matter who that person was. We both would feel the sense of urgency.

You're missing a sense of urgency... It's the first week of camp. We have not played one game yet. This is a wake up call for Smith step up your play or we will move on. If I don't have the sense of urgency i bet Smith does and that's more important.

Are you really saying Smith is solid? Really, solid? I like the way you have not been to one practice but yet you can call Richardson scrub. Richardson started the last 32 games for Kansas City. My definition of a scrub is a guy that can't make a practice squad. How much better did Smith grade out over Richardson last year?
    No, I never even said Jason Smith was solid. The fact that he's being pushed by the worst RT in the NFL definitely isn't good. If he was being pushed by someone like Orlando Pace, than yeah, it'd be a good thing because we'd field him. If Barry Richardson see's the field, we may aswell bench Bradford because he will get MURDERED.

If you're really banking on Boudreau's ability to coach up Richardson, you're in for a long ride. And why would I need to watch TC? It wont change anything. I've seen plenty of Chief games, and this guys a scrub.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    No, I never even said Jason Smith was solid. The fact that he's being pushed by the worst RT in the NFL definitely isn't good. If he was being pushed by someone like Orlando Pace, than yeah, it'd be a good thing because we'd field him. If Barry Richardson see's the field, we may aswell bench Bradford because he will get MURDERED.

If you're really banking on Boudreau's ability to coach up Richardson, you're in for a long ride. And why would I need to watch TC? It wont change anything. I've seen plenty of Chief games, and this guys a scrub.

I'm not banking on Boudreau's ability to coach up Richardson. I'm banking on him lighting a fire under Smith a$$. He's being pushed by coach Boudreau heck Boudreau could use an UDFA for all I care bottom line is he's sending Smith a message. That you will not play if you can't step it up, lets hope he starts playing better soon.

I agree it's not a good thing if Smith gets beat out by Richardson. I don't see that happening, if Smith doesn't come around the Rams new regime will move on without him. A lot of people thought the Rams would cut Smith this off season.

When was the last time a player that was solid was getting "pushed" by his backup thats a scrub! You're missing a sense of urgency.
    My bad I read this as if you where saying Smith is solid so how could a scrub be pushing him.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    What? Pushed? A guy that's getting paid $11 million dollars this year after being drafted #2 overall being replaced by the worst rated tackle in the entire NFL last year? To "push" him? Barry Richardson aint pushing anyone! When was the last time a player that was solid was getting "pushed" by his backup thats a scrub! You're missing a sense of urgency.
    How anyone can defend Smith is beyond me. He is an accident waiting to happen.

Harvey Dahl Thursday talks with D Farr about the competition that coach Boudreau has created.

101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Harvey Dahl

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Smith obviously has talents and not motivated to get it out of him.

Richardson obviously has the will but lacks big talent.
    So maybe we could call up the Dr. who made a "Six Million Dollar Man", out of Lee Majors.

what honey?...............oh.............nevermind guys, apparently that was just a TV show.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -08-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If things are this desparate someone soon will be following a sky cap through Lambert International.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -08-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would be watching the waiver wire when the roster cuts come down. It isn't crazy to think that we may be able to find some talent there given what we currently have. Having said that, let's play some games to see where we stand before making any decisions.

Go Rams!

Iron Lion3 Guest

I can't help but read this and think about my team's OL situation. Our main problem is at center, Dominic Raiola... the thing about Raiola is that he's smart, he can make the calls at the LOS for the rest of the line, and he can pass block decently, but he gets blown onto his ass in the run game.

So I'm curious about your guy Smith here. Is he decent at one part, either run game or pass game, but horrible in the other? Or what's his deal?

Also if what the guy above me is saying is accurate then the Lions might be a team donating a tackle. My Lions are quite deep at tackle--not to say that the starting quality is excellent, but rather that the drop-off to the depth players is not huge. We are carrying probably 5 tackles that should make an NFL roster.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lion3 View Post
    I can't help but read this and think about my team's OL situation. Our main problem is at center, Dominic Raiola... the thing about Raiola is that he's smart, he can make the calls at the LOS for the rest of the line, and he can pass block decently, but he gets blown onto his ass in the run game.

So I'm curious about your guy Smith here. Is he decent at one part, either run game or pass game, but horrible in the other? Or what's his deal?

Also if what the guy above me is saying is accurate then the Lions might be a team donating a tackle. My Lions are quite deep at tackle--not to say that the starting quality is excellent, but rather that the drop-off to the depth players is not huge. We are carrying probably 5 tackles that should make an NFL roster.
    He is terrible in pass pro, decent in run pro. Too bad he can't stay healthy.

THE DREAM TEAM

Iron Lion3 Guest

Thanks. I figured there would be one phase of the game he could do adequately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12