Thread: Rams LB Update

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Rams LB Update

According to KFFL the Rams are going to meet with Raonall Smith (Vikings) tomorrow.

Rams | Team to visit with R. Smith
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:16:09 -0800

Jeff Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, report the St. Louis Rams will visit with free agent LB Raonall Smith (Vikings) Thursday, March 23.

During my research on him I found that he is 27, 6-2, 244lbs.

Raonall Smith has a good size-speed ratio, and the Vikings hope he can show that at some point in his career. Once he overcomes the injury bug, the Washington State alumnus could be a starter in the linebacker corps.

However, Smith may have to overcome the injuries for the entire year to survive a visit from The Turk, as the Vikings’ patience with his injuries appears to be wearing thin.

Smith is athletic, as his Combine numbers show. He ran a 4.55, did 26 reps bench-pressing 225 pounds and had a 42-inch vertical jump. Those numbers put him at or above those of the other top linebackers in the 2002 draft.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/26/264140.jpg

His NFL Prospect Profile:
    ANALYSIS
    Positives: Alert and very active keying and diagnosing the plays … Takes on blocks with aggression, showing proper hand technique to prevent the lineman from gaining leverage … Extremely physical when taking on the tight ends, delivering crunching hits to reroute his man away from the play … Has the foot agility and hip swerve to redirect and close from the outside … Shows the lateral agility to flow with the play, staying low in his stance to extend his arms, wrap and secure the ball carrier near the line of scrimmage … Excels in press coverage, possessing the strength to easily jam the receivers … Drops back decisively in pass coverage … Shows good ball-anticipation skills and has developed good rip-and-swim moves to generate a quick outside blitz … Very intelligent, both on the field and in the classroom … Has impressive raw natural ability and power with rare speed for a player his size … Has the range and body control to stay with the play on deep routes … Delivers a solid hand jolt to maintain separation knifing through traffic and an explosive closing burst to disrupt the quarterback in the pocket … Looks natural in handling the switch-offs in the zone, displaying the quickness (4.49 in the 40-yard dash) of a defensive back.

Negatives: Development was hampered earlier in his career by a rash of injuries (knee and shoulder) … Uses his quickness more than his strength at the point of attack (not a stack-them-up type) … Slow at times to react to the play coming off the snap, but has the quickness to recover and flash towards the ball with intensity.

AGILITY TESTS
    4.53 in the 40-yard dash … 2.62 in the 20-yard dash … 1.57 in the 10-yard dash … 4.11 in the 20-yard shuttle … 7.1 in the three-cone drill … 42-inch vertical jump … 10 feet, 5 inches in the broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 26 times … 380-pound bench press … 285-pound power clean … 550-pound squat … 31 -inch arm length … 9 -inch hands.

Are those SLB numbers?
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -03-22-2006 at 11:32 PM.

RamsFan16

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams LB Update

yes minus the injury problem

rampete is offline Registered User

he sounds like another robert thomas, of ucla...physically gifted but injury prone...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I'm not a big fan. He wasn't an answer for the weak Vikings LB unit, so I wouldn't count on him to be an answer for our's. Seems to have the measurables but I don't think the football IQ is there and he can't stay on the field.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I'm not interested. Hasn't done anything up there and they've had holes in the D.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It sounds like he'd make a good SS if he dropped a few pounds.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

It sounds like he'd make a good SS if he dropped a few pounds.
    Does sound kinda temting(or how ever u spell it)

:1:

:1:PLAY EVER SNAP LIKE IT YOUR LAST!!!:1:

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I dont think he is expected to be much more then a backup, but we need competition at the SLB spot. I think there will be a threeway competition between Chillar, Smith and a drafted rookie

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

He isn't being brought in to start. This will be a special teams signing. The scuttlebutt is he's one of the Vikings best special teamers from last year.

fred10licious is offline Registered User

hes a 4 year vet? so that means the price will be high, and im not sure he can do anything Chillar cant do. i say we just take one on day one of the draft