Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Rams Leaning Towards Boller Now?

"All week it's looked as though the St. Louis Rams would start rookie QB Keith Null against the Cardinals, but now Fox Sports is reporting that the team is leaning toward starting Kyle Boller, citing concern over the leaky protection offered by the offensive line. Last week, the offensive line, missing three starters, allowed three sacks against the Texans, who have just five more sacks on the season than the Rams. Arizona on the other hand has 38 sacks on the season, the fourth most in the league. So protecting Null from his own line is a valid concern, especially with LT Alex Barron lapsing into his old habits lately. Of course, it's kind of like avoiding sending your child out into the world for fear they'll get hornswaggled by someone calling themselves the "wallet inspector;" they have to learn to deal reality sometime.
    Here's my two cents on why they should start Null. The Rams played with real passion last week, before ultimately being outmatched, but they were a much better team. Do not adjust the chemistry. There's more to it than just Null, but I think his play has been a big part of it. Formula's are complex and adjusting one seemingly little element of it throws the whole thing out of whack.
    After the Null/Boller question, the next pressing issue will be what happens with CB Jonathan Wade. He was the starter along side Ron Bartell when the season began, but was quickly replaced by an emerging Bradley Fletcher. When Fletcher was injured Wade still sat, being replaced by a combination of Justin King and Quincy Butler. Now with Quincy Butler out for the season will Wade get some playing time or will King get more and Cord Parks, recently added to the roster, get more time in Wade's stead? Stay tuned for the battle of the third string cornerbacks!!"--Turf Show Times

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Leaning Towards Boller Now?

I just disagree with starting Boller. The only bright side of this season has been SJax and Null improving. I want to see how he handles a good Arizona defense. There's two games left, give it your all and like the OP said, don't mess with chemistry. There's nothing to look forward to in Kyle Boller and everyone knows it. I'll be very disappointed if Kyle plays.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I just disagree with starting Boller. The only bright side of this season has been SJax and Null improving. I want to see how he handles a good Arizona defense. There's two games left, give it your all and like the OP said, don't mess with chemistry. There's nothing to look forward to in Kyle Boller and everyone knows it. I'll be very disappointed if Kyle plays.
    If jacking with chemistry helps ensure we won't waste $60-$70 million on somebody who isn't Suh in the draft, I'm all for it.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

It would be interesting to see Null start against Arizona. It is the only team that both he and Bulger would have competed against. It would offer a good comparison of skills between the two quarterbacks.

If they start Boller, I can't say it's all that exciting as a Rams fan. He is obviously not part of the future for the Rams organization.

I'll be curious as to whether the Cardinals/9ers will be looking to throw a game. I'll bet that division rivals would prefer to not see Suh lining up against them next year.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    IThere's nothing to look forward to in Kyle Boller and everyone knows it. I'll be very disappointed if Kyle plays.
    I completely agree. Watching Null progress has been one of the highlights of the season for me. It's something to look forward to in an otherwise worthless, dreadful 2009. Starting Boller is pointless unless you subscribe to the opinion that he gives the Rams their best chance to win, but does he really?

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Null:
    3 TDS 9 Picks in 105 Attempts
    64.7% Completion Rate
    1 Fumble Lost

Boller (after years of experience):
    2 Tds 6 Ints in 165 Attempts
    57.0% Completion Rate
    2 Fumbles Lost

Might as well groom Null into what looks like the backup spot for years to come, who knows maybe he turns out to be better than a backup