Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams' Leonard has surgery on both shoulders

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/11/2008

The season has ended for the Rams, but the surgeries haven't.

Running back-fullback Brian Leonard underwent surgery Friday in New York on both shoulders. The surgery was considered minor, according to league sources -- of the "clean-up" variety.

The shoulders bothered him as the season wound down, with Leonard seeing most of his playing time as an undersized blocking fullback over the second half of the season.

Leonard, the Rams' second-round draft pick in 2007, isn't expected to miss any of the team's offseason and preseason work as a result of the surgery _ not even the offseason conditioning program, which normally begins in late March or early April.

Leonard was the third Rams player known to undergo surgery this week, joining cornerback Ron Bartell (thumb) and long snapper Chris Massey (sports hernia).

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Leonard has surgery on both shoulders

Great. We have an undersized fullback who can't block or a slow RB whose greatest fame is his ability to hurdle tacklers. That was a solid draft pick. Thankfully he won't miss OTA's!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Not to sure what to do with Leonard, as pointed out by Chris58. Though I remember a lot of people last off-season who were delighted with having Leonard as the backup to S. Jackson. He was a great college player, but doesn't have the speed. He can still be an excellent blocker like Marshall or a Clinton Portis, and utilized in 3rd down a lot. We also have to remember that he was going behind a backup line in his rookie year. I think he will improve this year.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Are you guys serious? Leonard had a great rookie year. Hopefully his role will become clearer once we get an official offensive cordinator.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Are you guys serious? Leonard had a great rookie year. Hopefully his role will become clearer once we get an official offensive cordinator.
    true. besides, look at the line we had this year. not even steven jackson had a great year. we can only hope our new offensive coordinator can figure things out for us, and both Steven Jackson and Brian Leonard have great years.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Leonard's a good kid and tries hard, but really...., did it make sense to (IMO) waste a 2nd round pick on a slow, smallish running back to block for BIG Steven Jackson? Also, SJ caught so many balls out of the backfield in '06 I think we all saw his potential as a receiver. Did we need a third down back? Sure SJ needs a blow now and then but to use the 2nd pick on Leonard...I'm just not sure that was wise.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

He'd be a great safety.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Folks, Chris58 is spot on. Brian Leonard is a bust when factoring in where he was taken in the draft. Well at least he'll have two somewhat healthier shoulders to attempt to justify his presence on the field.

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Can he play TE?

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Leonard's a good kid and tries hard, but really...., did it make sense to (IMO) waste a 2nd round pick on a slow, smallish running back to block for BIG Steven Jackson? Also, SJ caught so many balls out of the backfield in '06 I think we all saw his potential as a receiver. Did we need a third down back? Sure SJ needs a blow now and then but to use the 2nd pick on Leonard...I'm just not sure that was wise.
    Brian can be a great RB, we stuck him in a bad situation with the line and all. I watched him play in college alot. We needed a backup to SJ other than Travis Minor, so we now have Leonard and Pittman. SJ needs a break sometimes. I also think we don't have so many "busts" as people think, such as Klopfenstein. Most of these guys have been highly underutilized, especially because of atrocious playcalling.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhal5569 View Post
    ...Leonard had a great rookie year. Hopefully his role will become clearer once we get an official offensive cordinator.

Agreed. Also, as the Professor said, "I think Leonard will improve this year".

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Folks, Chris58 is spot on. Brian Leonard is a bust when factoring in where he was taken in the draft. Well at least he'll have two somewhat healthier shoulders to attempt to justify his presence on the field.

WHAT SAY YE?
    How can you call the guy a bust after one season? He likely lost carries with Pittman due to his injuries ...

Give it some time before you label him a bust ...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wasn't thrilled to hear we were taking a fullback/runningback in the second last year, but I'd have to say that it is far too early to label him a bust. I think you need to give a guy at least two to three years to develop. I think he still has potential as a backup runningback; I feel like he brings more to the table as a runner than a blocker. He's a below average blocker for a fullback but probably still better than a lot of the halfbacks out there.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    ...I'd have to say that it is far too early to label him a bust. I think you need to give a guy at least two to three years to develop. I think he still has potential as a backup runningback; I feel like he brings more to the table as a runner than a blocker. He's a below average blocker for a fullback but probably still better than a lot of the halfbacks out there.

Absolutely. Much too early to label BL a bust. :r

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    How can you call the guy a bust after one season? He likely lost carries with Pittman due to his injuries ...

Give it some time before you label him a bust ...
    He lost carries to Pittman because Mr. Pittman was more productive and far more of a threat with the ball in his hands than BL. How many, if any, explosive plays (runs of 12+yds. and receptions of 18+ yds.) did this guy have this year? Surely this can't all be blamed on the OL. If you'll re-read my post I called him a bust based on where he was taken in last years draft. There is no way that Brian Leonard was the 52nd best player in the draft.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-11-2008, 11:00 PM