Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams let go DC Walton

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Rams let go DC Walton

Per STL today

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams let go DC Walton

just saw this and immediately ran over here for leads. Wonder who could replace him?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wow! That's a surprise.

My first thought was, "is Jim Schwartz still out there." Then I saw that he had been hired by the Bills as their DC a few days ago.

I'm really at a loss right now as to who would be their primary target.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow! That's a surprise.

My first thought was, "is Jim Schwartz still out there." Then I saw that he had been hired by the Bills as their DC a few days ago.

I'm really at a loss right now as to who would be their primary target.
    The only guy I can think of is Gregg Williams. I'm annoyed they missed the boat on Jim Schwartz though.
    FestusRam likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

Yeah, the timing is a little surprising, since all Fishers old friends have just been hired for new position.

I guess Fisher agreed with the Clan, that you can't play your CBs so far off the receiver!

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Per Chris Mortensen:

Gregg Williams, who was always Jeff Fisher's preferred choice as DC, is expected to replace Tim Walton in St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Per Chris Mortensen: Gregg Williams, who was always Jeff Fisher's preferred choice as DC, is expected to replace Tim Walton in St. Louis
    Well, that would certainly bring a great bounty to the Rams.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Tim Walton out as Rams defensive coordinator
    Posted by Josh Alper on January 29, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
    tim-walton-inside AP

The eyes of the football world may be trained on the Broncos and Seahawks this week, but there’s business going on elsewhere.

St. Louis is just such a place. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday that the Rams have decided not to bring defensive coordinator Tim Walton back for a second season with the team and the team confirmed it a short time later. The Rams wound up 13th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed during the regular season and finished third in the league in sacks, but finished tied for last in the league in opponent completion percentage and last in yards per pass attempt.

Rumblings of a possible Walton departure began before the season was over. Reports in December indicated that head coach Jeff Fisher had taken on a bigger role in running the defense, although Fisher denied that was the case. True or not, someone else’s hand will be on the wheel come next season.

Gregg Williams ran the defense for Fisher for four years in Tennessee and was slated to be the Rams’ defensive coordinator in 2012 before he was suspended by the league after their investigation into the Saints’ defensive bounties. He’s looking for work after spending a year as a senior defensive assistant with the Titans and being ushered out when Mike Munchak was fired, which could lead to his name coming up in conjunction with the opening.

PRESS RELEASE:

"I would like it to be known that, despite the Rams' decision today, I remain the worst defensive coordinator in the franchise's history."

-- Larry Marmie
    bradwill and gap like this.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I can suddenly hear the little girl from Poltergeist...

All kidding aside, if this is to be taken as an indication that Fisher and Walton did not see eye-to-eye on the whole "soft coverage" issue, then its a good thing.

We all noticed this year that the DBs were playing far off the LOS, allowing opposing QBs to make quick, high percentage throws. We had a pretty good discussion after the first Seattle game, when the Rams employed a press coverage scheme that was very effective (apart from the one break down on the long throw to Tate), and we wondered why the Rams did not use this approach more often.

I think that next year, with a new DC and (hopefully) upgraded talent in the DB, we'll see more press coverage which will eliminate the high percentage throws and make our pass rush even more effective.
    Truth and Warner Pride like this.

Gregg Williams just tweeted:

Now this looks like a job for me, so everybody, just follow me, 'cause we need a little, controversy, 'cause it feels so empty, without me.
    Okay, so that's not true.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Asked about his early-season struggles, Finnegan told Titans Online in late October, "That's obvious. You know what, from a personal standpoint, I think I was not buying in totally, wasn't making plays. I'm not sure they were big plays; there were one or two passes, giving up two passes a game, and one of them was a touchdown. That seems to be a bad stat especially when you're losing. It's just getting back to basics, and I enjoy that. You got to thrive through the good and bad times. I'm not really worried about that."
    When I read this I thought wow, I wonder what he meant by not buying in... this is Fisher D what has changed where you would not buy into it. Now it's clear Fisher was not happy with the D and the scheme and I bet some of the players where lost as well.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's really surprising. Not many were happy with Walton, but Fisher has shown a history of being loyal to his Coordinators through thick and thin.

Of course, I suppose that a hiring of Williams would still show loyalty to his Coordinators. Hmm.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

This is a good move going from Walton to Williams. I think it will place more emphasis on the linebacking corps, specifically the re-signing of Jo Lonn Dunbar, which I expect not to happen despite Gregg bringing him over from NO initially. I know we need help in the secondary, but I like Williams approach to attacking the QB. Which could signal an OLB selected sooner rather than later in the draft. I think we'll see more physicality in our defensive draft picks. Good move, just please no bounties.

Go Rams!
    Warner Pride likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast