Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams let go DC Walton

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: Rams let go DC Walton

I'm really like this hire, for several reasons.

Was never sold on Walton given Detroit's (lack of) D, and he always reminded me of Linehan on the sidelines. I know this isn't fair, but I'd like the D coordinator to be a least a little bit animated.

Also find it interesting that (I assume), Fisher had a shot at Schwartz, but decided against it.
    And that there's no bad blood from the Rams letting Williams' kid go, and that Williams has been a head coach, and that he really got jobbed by the NFL.

This will pay dividends quickly.

Edit - also love the fact that nobody saw this coming; no rumors, no speculation, nothing.
    Somebody said go, and bang, transaction done!
    Last edited by VegasRam; -01-29-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Warner Pride likes this.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Haste is offline Registered User

Not sure how I feel about Williams. Wasn't he terrible on the Saints ranking-wise?

Looks like throughout his career, the defense is either top-5 in running or passing defense, or it is almost dead-last.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I'm really like this hire, for several reasons.

Was never sold on Walton given Detroit's (lack of) D, and he always reminded me of Linehan on the sidelines. I know this isn't fair, but I'd like the D coordinator to be a least a little bit animated.

Also find it interesting that (I assume), Fisher had a shot at Schwartz, but decided against it.
    And that there's no bad blood from the Rams letting Williams' kid go, and that Williams has been a head coach, and that he really got jobbed by the NFL.

This will pay dividends quickly.

Edit - also love the fact that nobody saw this coming; no rumors, no speculation, nothing.
    Somebody said go, and bang, transaction done!

I like the move, too. You can knock Williams for the bountygate nonsense, but don't think he can't coach. The guy knows defense. And in a division in which chippy, aggressive play is now the norm, his hire spells trouble for opposing offenses.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-29-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Rambos likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I was hoping for buddy ryan, but williams would be fine with me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mikey is online now Registered User

Love the move this can only help our defense. One thing this definitely does is brings an OLB who can rush the passer into play at 13, can anybody say Anthony Barr? Williams will use the excellent pressure we get from the base DLine and add in blitzes from Tree and whoever is the other OLB and just destroy the opposition.

Rammed is offline Registered User

I like the hire and I think the bounty saga should be left behind. Last season I read this article by Matt Bowen who played for Williams whilst in Washington.

The Insider's Guide to a Gregg Williams Defense | Bleacher Report

If this is against the linkpolicy Im sorry can't access a pc at the moment to post the complete text. Maybe a mod can help?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Love the move this can only help our defense. One thing this definitely does is brings an OLB who can rush the passer into play at 13, can anybody say Anthony Barr? Williams will use the excellent pressure we get from the base DLine and add in blitzes from Tree and whoever is the other OLB and just destroy the opposition.
    I agree with your assessment as I mentioned in my earlier post. But unless there is some calamity for Anthony Barr at the Combine, he's not going to be there for us at #13. I think the OLB spot may get addressed in round 2, where we'll hopefully have some extra picks courtesy of a trade down from #2.

Go Rams!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Our defense just got a lot more aggressive!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Just a few things to mention:

2013 Rams Defense:

Passing yards allowed: 242.1 (19th)
    Points allowed per game: 22.8 (13th)

These only 2 of the few defensive categories we must improve to dominating defense.

Titans Defense 2012 W/O Williams and 2013 With Williams

Pass YPG: 2012- 247.8 (26th) 2013-225.8 (11th)
    Points allowed: 2012- 29.4 (32nd) 2013 - 23.8 (16th)

WIlliams attacking D and our D line with Long, Quinn, hayes, and Brockers will only make this a marriage made in heaven...Also he can coach JLau and Ogletree should be interesting

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I'm pumped for this. Quinn and long should go nuts next season.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Your DC has to bring that "attitude" to their defense. Simply look at the Saints, Ryan comes in and it was a turn around with the WORST defense. Walton, should have succeeded on paper with what the Rams had on the team, but some how couldn't inspire the Rams "D" to a higher gear.

But it bodes well for the Rams--even with a lack luster DC in Walton, what they where able to accomplish was based on toughness and talent--imagine the Rams with a "BONZI" do-or-die attitude. As for Walton being kicked to the curb, doesn't surprise me at all and was over due

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm a bit surprised, only because I felt our issues on defense were more related to personnel than scheme. But Fisher ultimately gets the guy he wanted for the job initially, so we'll see how it turns out. I have a feeling Walton will catch on somewhere; he was very highly regarded when he got the Rams DC job.

macrammer is online now Registered User

two things for me......no rumors just action. Fisher style and I really appreciate his lack of drama approach.
    Second....the soft zone was just killing me last year. We were so far off of the receivers. I was starting to think it had to be our personnel but perhaps NOT.....I think we have seen the end of soft coverage utilized so often......

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm a bit surprised, only because I felt our issues on defense were more related to personnel than scheme. But Fisher ultimately gets the guy he wanted for the job initially, so we'll see how it turns out. I have a feeling Walton will catch on somewhere; he was very highly regarded when he got the Rams DC job.

You have to admit the change in play from the corners this year compared to last must have been a scheme move rather than the players. We know Jenkins and Johnson can play close, tough physical football, so to see them play 10 yards off the LOS must have been a scheme/coaching decision rather than a players decision. I'm not saying the difference was solely scheme (sophomore slump, lack of competition at the position) but it really didn't help.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    You have to admit the change in play from the corners this year compared to last must have been a scheme move rather than the players.
    I think it was a scheme decision prompted by personnel issues, particularly weaknesses at safety. Without more competent safety play on the back end, Walton may have felt like it was too much of a gamble to have the corners tight as often as we've seen in the past. It didn't play to Jenkins' strengths, but that alone shouldn't have caused him to have the kind of year that he did.

Perhaps Walton's inability to get the defensive backfield to play better than it did while making this change impacted his fate, but there's also a part of me that wonders if Fisher just wanted his first choice back, and felt justified in making the move because, while the defense did a lot of great things this year, there were still enough issues to make Walton expendable in Fisher's mind.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast