Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams like what Incognito offers

Second-year player could settle in as starting right guard
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Left guard Richie Incognito takes pride in the physical presence that he brings to the St. Louis Rams' offensive line.

"How much do I like collisions?" Incognito said. "It depends what kind of collision, whether you are lighting somebody up or you are taking it. It's a part of the game that I really like."

The 6-foot-3, 305-pound Incognito has his own definition of lighting somebody up.

"That's when you catch one of those linebackers not looking or catch somebody running the wrong way," Incognito said. "That's just a kill shot."

Rams first-year coach Scott Linehan was pleased with how Incognito and the rest of the Rams' starting offensive line performed in a 19-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday.

The Rams rushed for 202 yards in the game and set the tone for the ground game with a 16-yard burst by Steven Jackson on their first play from scrimmage.

"I think we established a real physical style of play up front as a unit," Linehan said. "On the he first play, Richie had maybe one of the best blocks of the game. He just came off the ball and created a huge hole, and (fullback) Paul Smith got the linebacker. We busted off a 16-yard run on the first play, which was nice."

Incognito is currently the front-runner for the starting job at left guard, even though he hadn't played in an actual game for almost 2 1/2 years before Thursday night.

"That was great," Incognito said. "Just high tempo, bodies flying around everywhere. The speed of the game is definitely a lot different than college."

Incognito said he was glad to see a running play to his side on the Rams' script of plays for their first series.

"That's how I set my tempo," Incognito said. "I go out and try to lay the wood on the first play, and set the tempo and say, 'That's how it's going to be all day long."'

Incognito fought through practice Sunday despite an upper respiratory infection that has made breathing difficult. He left practice briefly, but returned to finish out the last hour of work, including post-practice wind sprints.

"I've got something going on where I can't breath, I'm all clogged up," Incognito said. "It's no cakewalk out there. I can't get any air. Today, I couldn't breath, so I started overheating, and then my legs went on me right away."

The Rams took a gamble on Incognito with the second of their two third-round picks in the 2005 NFL draft.

Incognito was coming off knee surgery and he had a string of off-the-field problems that led to his dismissal from both the University of Nebraska and the University of Oregon football teams.

Incognito has worked on channeling his aggression to the field.

"He's a physical guy, he's a high-energy guy," Rams Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace said. "Sometimes I have to wind him down. I'm a little low key, and he's a little high motor, so that's a good combination for us."

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger said he likes the attitude that Incognito brings to the offensive line.

"He's an intense guy," Bulger said. "I think he's made drastic improvements since last year, and he's definitely the kind of physical presence we would like to have up there.

"He brings a little attitude. Maybe we had a little bit of that with Kyle Turley. I think it was a good thing for the team."

Incognito said his knee is no longer an issue.

"Physically, everything is fine," Incognito said. "I feel athletic. I feel good moving around. The knee feels great, feels strong."

Rams veteran defensive tackle La'Roi Glover sees a lot of potential in Incognito from going against him in practice.

"I think he's a raw, young kid," Glover said. "He has a lot of ability. He is extremely athletic. Coming from Nebraska, he was used to a run-oriented offense. He needs to work on a lot of technique stuff -- pass blocking, the nuances of the game. He's tough. He can hang in there. He is a strong fellow."

Incognito said he's still refining his technique with both run blocking and pass blocking.

"Technique-wise on a scale of 1 to 10, I am probably like a 5 or a 6," Incognito said. "What's really hard for me is little things, nothing major. I am conscious of what I am doing wrong, so I think in a couple of days, I can fix anything."

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams like what Incognito offers

as i have said before this guy is the real deal, he really does bring a nasty attitude to the o-line that was lacking and he will be a pro bowl guard within a couple of seasons.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

This kid is going to be the future of our offensive line. He's a young kid who has the ability to play at the nfl level like a pro. I love this type of player. The one that wants to go out there with the sole intention of going out there and knocking your head off. Kindly reminds of the Turdley, except without being a moron on the field. Gotta love the fact too that he's not cocky and doesn't have a huge ego.

i agree totally he kind of brings back memories of dennis harrah,for me at least,who i considered a great o-lineman.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams' script of plays
    This is new, I like this concept.

general counsel is offline Registered User

JK, i like the kid a lot, but he has a LONG LONG way to go before we compare him to Hercules. Harrah was an all time killer at that position.

I will say this. Incog, who is very very popular on the board these days, was declared a bust and crappy wasted pick last year by many on this board. Back to my post yesterday in the armey thread, people have to be patient and let the guys develop. With very rare exceptions, players are not busts in year one, especially when you draft a guy that you know needs time to either physically or mentally develop, such as incog, hargrove, bartell or for that matter pickett, who was drafted after his junior year.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

bruce4life is online now Registered User

he's gonna be a really good football player for us for many years to come... along with terrell when he takes over right guard( if he does later on down the road), we'll have a fairly young o-line that is getting better year by year

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    Incog, who is very very popular on the board these days, was declared a bust and crappy wasted pick last year by many on this board.
    Oh the difference a year makes. This time last year and dating back to last April, Martz was blasted for making "yet another stupid pet project pick" in Incognito. We still don't know for sure...he make be all-pro, he make be bagging groceries in a few months. But the tune sure has changed regarding Cogs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

gc, i agree 100% its to early to compare to harrah,but if he stays healthy who knows, i really like the way he attacks the game,he has the attitude that an offensive lineman should have.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    he will be a pro bowl guard within a couple of seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense
    This kid is going to be the future of our offensive line.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    he's gonna be a really good football player for us for many years to come...
    Look guys, I've agreed Incognito has shown a lot of potential and ability this summer/fall, but can we wait to put him on a pedistal until we actually see him get some more experience and some actual time in real games? Yes he's looked good, but don't put the cart before the horse here. He's still got a ways to go before he becomes "a pro bowl guard," "the future of our offensive line," and "a really good football player."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

no no no, build him up lets see if he can live up to it LOL

I dont think there is anything wrong building him up, the guy has potential written all over him

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    no no no, build him up lets see if he can live up to it LOL

I dont think there is anything wrong building him up, the guy has potential written all over him
    Oh no!!! Not the "P" word. Boss, you've just jinxed the kid!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

It's fine to say you think he's going to be good or he has the potential to be good. But everyone I quoted said that he will, as if it's set in stone. All I'm saying is let's not go overboard here, since some of us like to keep a more realistic view where Incognito still has a ways to go but is off to a pretty good start.

i dont usually go on here and build someone up to the point where i say they are future pro bowlers but i think this is the case with incognito and i think its justified, look at how hard this guy worked to get back to where he is now and remember he hasnt played a game for over 2 years.to come into camp and become a starter by the first preseason game says something about this guy,we can all see he has the physical tools and now i believe he has his head 100% into the game.maybe i will be wrong about him(it wont be the first time or last that i was wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    i think its justified
    Sorry jk, but I have to disagree. Incognito has won the starting LG job, true enough. But who did he have to beat out? An out of shape injured Terrell, a rookie Setterstrom who is still pushing him, and Todd Steussie? Being the best of that bunch doesn't put him in Hawaii, and in his one preseason game, I saw mistakes across the entire interior, including Incognito.

I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm down on the guy. I'd take two Richie Incognito's over one Richie and a Timmerman. But I just think he's getting a lot of hype for a guy who played in his first NFL contest last Thursday.

To his credit, he came back from injury and has worked hard, but I just don't think you can award anyone a spot in the Pro Bowl based on one preseason contest and some offseason work. Hope for it, okay. Saying it will happen? To me, a big stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast