BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Rams likely to part with Timmerman

John Clayton reporting

Though nothing is official, Rams guard Adam Timmerman is not expected to be paid a $200,000 March 2 roster bonus, making him a free agent. Timmerman has been a mainstay along the Rams offensive line since the team's glory days in the late 1990s. Last year, though, Timmerman tried to tough out the final two months of the season with broken ribs and was replaced by a younger Richie Incognito. The 35-year-old Timmerman was scheduled to make $2.2 million this season. Timmerman has two years remaining on his contract and his release will save the Rams $1.3 million of cap space.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams likely to part with Timmerman

Wow 1.3 in cap space..... That's a stupid move by the FO, and disrespectful Man plays with broken ribs for you and you can't fork out kicker pay for him. Not a good start to FA

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Unfortunately loyalty (say that 3 times fast) doesn't win games.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Do you pay $1.5 Mil to a back up? Timmerman was the first big name free agent to sign with the Rams, which lead this team towards the SB. Unfortunately, the situation is he would be the back up to Setterstrom & Incognito. The OL needs to get younger and meaner. Setterstrom & Incognito, bring youth and toughness. The out look is very good at the guard position & tackle. Only question is center. McCollum may be back, but a knee injury to a center is hard and even harder for someone his age. The nature of the NFL is what can you do for me now, not what have you done for me in the past.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

stlouisrams41 is offline Registered User

He was getting old, but we could use him this year. Once our line gets fully healthy (Pace, Terrell) it will be a strength, especially for Bulger and Jackson.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

There is no loyalty in sports anymore. It doesn't matter from either side, players or teams. With the amount of money players make I don't feel badly for any player who is cut.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    There is no loyalty in sports anymore. It doesn't matter from either side, players or teams. With the amount of money players make I don't feel badly for any player who is cut.
    I agree that there is no sentiment in pro-sports and nor there should,at the end of the day this is a business..:l

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Unfortunately loyalty (say that 3 times fast) doesn't win games.
    Exactly.

$1.3 million could go to signing a younger Offensive Lineman who could do just as good as him.

Smart move if we cut him IMO. He did do good for us, although now is just dead weight.
    RamsFan16

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

This is one thing the Patriots have excelled at. Letting players go when they are past their prime and overpaid. They haven't been fooled into signing their own players, who are aging and on the decline, into long term contracts. With the amount of money players are making now I never want to hear another player complain about loyalty.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Curious what you guys said about him last offseason. I'm sure it was nothing but good things.

How can a guy go from being a Pro Bowl caliber starting lineman to dead weight in one year?

You guys are ruthless and way off the mark. Timmerman won't last a week before being snatched up by someone if he's cut.

Half way thru next season when several guys are out with injuries you'll be whining we let him go.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    This is one thing the Patriots have excelled at. Letting players go when they are past their prime and overpaid. They haven't been fooled into signing their own players, who are aging and on the decline, into long term contracts. With the amount of money players are making now I never want to hear another player complain about loyalty.
    and when you can draft like themthat's ok, we are not them and we do not draft we'll every year, and he sticks to some of the good players, timmerman isn't asking for alot of money, and he is worth the 2.2 case point that's it nothing else too it

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Curious what you guys said about him last offseason. I'm sure it was nothing but good things.

How can a guy go from being a Pro Bowl caliber starting lineman to dead weight in one year?

You guys are ruthless and way off the mark. Timmerman won't last a week before being snatched up by someone if he's cut.

Half way thru next season when several guys are out with injuries you'll be whining we let him go.
    Exactly. He is hardly dead weight. He is still a worthwhile backup as long as the price is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!