Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    itsguud is offline Registered User

Rams Likely to Sign Westbrook Monday!

Just seen this on Rotoworld!

The Rams are "likely" to sign free agent Brian Westbrook on Monday, according to ESPN's John Clayton.
    Clayton's colleague Chris Mortensen expressed a similar sentiment, calling the Rams the "leader in the clubhouse." Perhaps he's buoyed by the glowing reports of Sam Brdford's progress. Westbrook was holding out for a more tempting offer, but St. Louis has been the most sensible landing spot all along. He knows coordinator Pat Shurmur's offense, and the Rams have the ugliest backup situation in the NFL. Aug. 14 - 3:14 pm et
    Source: Mike Sando on Twitter
    Now this makes me feel confident in our backup run game. I have yet to believe in Og or Toston. Westbrook knows the WCO and is a gamer who can be relied on. Bring him in!

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Likely to Sign Westbrook Monday!

Hope he doesn't break.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's never played a full 16-game schedule and played only half a season in 2009. I'm not sure I'd call him someone who can be relied on, but he's certainly a better option than the back-ups we have right now. He's familiar with the offense and is a very multi-faceted player. Hopefully in a reduced role as a back-up, his durability won't be as big an issue.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think it's a solid pick up if he's not overpaid. At the least, he'll bring a veteran leadership and experience to a team severely lacking in the running game (as far as backups go).

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hopefully in a reduced role as a back-up, his durability won't be as big an issue.
    Exactly!! If something were to happen to Jack, Brian's knowledge of the system and veteran leadership would help immensely, coupled of course with whatever he's got left in the tank as a player .. Could be interesting to see both S.J. and B.W. lined up in the backfield together now and then. It might keep opposing Ds a little off balance.

For those who don't have much faith in Obie or Toston, it's true, they have yet to earn that faith or trust. Obie in particular is entering his second year however, and will get plenty of reps with the "ones" tonight. If any of the hype from camp is to be believed, he may surprise the non believers. Toston is a guy who when given his opportunity in college was very productive. He doesn't have home run speed, but he certainly has the quickness and elusiveness to move the chains. It will be interesting to see what he can do as well. He probably won't get many (if any) reps with the "ones," but if he plays mostly with the 2s at least he'll be playing against the opposing teams' backups and rookies ..

On a side note, is anyone else pissed off that NFL Ticket has dropped the preseason games? The price went up again for the "Ticket," and all we got was "free" hi def in exchange ... I'm not a happy camper. I probably shouldn't worry though, as next year (assuming there is one) NFL Ticket will probably offer preseason games for extra bucks .. right?

Anyone know what type of money Westbrook will command for filling the #2 backup spot behind Jackson?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What I don't like is the idea that this could leave Jackson sitting on the sidelines on third down. Everyone knows that Westbrook is a good third down back, and good in the passing game. But Jackson is a good receiver too, so I hope the coaching staff don't take our best player off the field when we would need him most

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Westbrook; who do this guy think he is, Brett Favre? He should have sign with the Rams long ago. Other than that, one would be happy to have Brian become apart the Rams.
    He could be a key figure in helping a young Sam Bradford get adjusted to the NFL.
    Is it posssible to have Westbrook and Steven Jackson, in the backfield, at the same time?
    Rams missed out on T.O., this team still needs a big name receiver also.
    Westbrook would be a welcome addition, in the meatime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    What I don't like is the idea that this could leave Jackson sitting on the sidelines on third down. Everyone knows that Westbrook is a good third down back, and good in the passing game. But Jackson is a good receiver too, so I hope the coaching staff don't take our best player off the field when we would need him most
    Dual RB passing threat?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Just spoke to a person close to the situation, this is a done deal ...

Welcome Mr. Westbrook. In a limited role, I could see him being a significant contributor, particularly as a 3rd back in a blocking role. Westbrook is a significant receiving threat, and imagine the hell that Jackson and Westbrook could cause in the backfield together ...

rammiser is online now Registered User

As Nick said above hopefully the guy can stay healthy. This doesnt really make me feel any better about our running game because Westbrook isnt someone I would consider reliable because of his concussion and other injury issues. Hopefully it works out and one of our young guys chips in as well.
    Just Fix It

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I think Westbrook is a very good fit for us. Very good pass catching RB (as fare as I remember he has lead the league in passes in some seasons even before all the WR's). And a good change of pace back with the perfect knowledge of the system. If he has any gas left in his tank I think this pick up can only help us and also give us the possibilities to run some exciting plays with both Westbrook and SJ on the field. And he can be a nice security blanket for Bradford if need be.

I am all for it.

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

i guess. But i agree, lets hope he doesnt break. High on Ob though.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I like it a lot. We really need to take the burden off of Jackson and I feel Westbrook is a legitimate threat back there despite his age.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I can see alot of creative situations in which we can use westbrook and jackson at the same time. We could like them up in the I-formation with westbrook at traditional halfback and jackson in a fullback role. We instantly have a confused defense because either guy we hand it to will have a significant impact on the play. Both are great receivers that we could line up in a split back formation and we have a flare route on either side.

This is a great move by the FO. I applaud them for going out and getting westbrook.
    Welcome, hope in enjoy your stay in St.louis

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    It's not like they took Jackson off the field when we needed him the most without a reliable backup last season.

Oh....

It's a good signing though. I do feel better about the running backs in the short term of this season, and the reduced play reduces the chance he goes down due to injury.

------------------------------------

With all the Eagles we have now, can we just fire/"promote" Shurmur and have the old Eagles run the offense directly? Seriously, this isn't a bad thing. Feely and Westbrook have to have picked up a thing or two about which plays are appropriate to call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast