RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Rams in Limbo: What it Means

By Bernie Miklasz
    12/24/2007 2:09 pm

Seasonís greetings.

Just a follow-up to my Sunday column on the future of the Rams, and how team president John Shaw is consumed by matters concerning owner Georgia Frontiereís health, and the immediate fate of the franchise when the inevitable occursÖ

Iíve received lots of e-mail from this one, and some readers suggested that if Shaw is so busy with tending to ownership issues, if heís so distracted, he should hire a real GM to overlook the football side. Then the GM could fire Scott Linehan and set up a new football operation.

That wonít happen now.

Hereís why, and please connect the dots with me:

The Rams will have a new owner at some point in 2008 ó it is believed that Frontiereís son, Chip Rosenbloom, will take over. But he may hold onto the team for just a short while. Iím not certain.

And the Rams may have another owner after that ó if the team is sold by Rosenbloom.

Shaw isnít going to fire Jay Zygmunt, who has the GM title, anytime soon. Not with so much going on. Zygmunt isnít the solution at GM, but for now at least he can keep things organized until the franchises changes hands.

And Shaw himself could be leaving the organization within months.

So with a new owner taking over Ö and Shaw likely leaving Ö and the future so uncertainÖ.

This is the wrong time to create a new front office, or hire a new coach.

I know that isnít what 99 percent of Rams fans want to hear or read, but itís true.

Think about it analytically, instead of emotionally.

If Shaw leaves soon, the Rams will have a new point man in charge at Rams Park, working with the new ownership. That person will want to bring in his own people. That person may want to hire a new coach after the 2008 season.

You donít hire a bunch of new football people to important positions, tie them up with long contracts and then hinder a new owner and a new team president with steep financial obligations to staff they may not want to keep.

And why would a GM or coach of any repute want to come here now when the GM and/or the coach has no idea who will own the Rams, or be running the Rams, a year from now? If the timing is wrong to hire the best people, then the worst thing to do is to bring in mediocrities.

Thatís why itís best to leave those major decisions to the next regime.

If the Rams are destined for a new regime, then the new owners/bosses should be allowed to start fresh and rebuild the team to its own desires and specifications.

On this (almost) Christmas Day, I hope everyone is safe and happy and enjoying life instead of getting too upset about this football team.

My best to you and your families and friendsÖ.

Bernie

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Rams in Limbo: What it Means

So to sum up.........the FIRST thing to change will be ownership.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

which wouldn't be such a bad thing. Then we "may" get a front office that has football in mind, then we "may" get a real Head Coach.

A39J is offline Registered User

This might mean sacrificing a year (next year)

But its business hopefully, its better for us in the long run and the rams stay in STL

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by A39J View Post
    This might mean sacrificing a year (next year)

But its business hopefully, its better for us in the long run and the rams stay in STL
    To tell you the truth, I think next year is sacrified already.

As for the Rams moving.....legally won't happen until 2015; practically not even then. There are plenty of teams less profitable than the Rams who aren't movin'.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    To tell you the truth, I think next year is sacrified already.

As for the Rams moving.....legally won't happen until 2015; practically not even then. There are plenty of teams less profitable than the Rams who aren't movin'.
    I agree, we get new owners and they turn this around and then St. Louis will be a very profitable place for this team.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

general counsel is offline Registered User

Which also means we arent likely to be taking on any big time free agent obligations. I am a patient man in these matters and i have felt for a while that ownership would need to change to fix the problems. I can wait it out another year to be sure.

My biggest concern is whether this uncertainty costs us the ability to sign steven jackson long term.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Yep, looks like its time to get of the looserham horse guys. Next year will be a bust as no money will be spent in prep for the ownership change. sigh 08 down the tube as well.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Yep, looks like its time to get of the looserham horse guys. Next year will be a bust as no money will be spent in prep for the ownership change. sigh 08 down the tube as well.
    I can see it now. The (12/8/08) headline reads the Cinderella RAMS have locked up a playoff spot.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Ok, I can see the argument here. This is probably one of the best reasons I've read to keep Linehan next year. However one has to be sure that a change of ownership will really happen in '08. Not to be too cynical, but the old lady could pass away next year, but she also might not, so unless she has said in clear terms that a change of ownership will happen in '08 regardless this could be a risky manuever. One year in limbo would be bad enough, but what if one year passes, then two and we're still in limbo with the same owner in the same condition as right now?

If it is certain that the team is sold in '08 then ok, let's keep Linehan and let the new owner(s) make that decision when the next season is over. But it has to be a sure thing, we cannot go in 'limbo' mode with no exact date on when the decision will be made.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well, on a somewhat positive note; way back in 79', when the REAL owner passed away, the team scrapped it's way into the Super Bowl. The same thing can happen next year. With a healthy team, and a HC that pulls his head out of his ass, anything is possible.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

it does look like next year will be a long one also,but looking at the big picture it is going to get better,remember when the decade ends is when the Rams have success

1979-Super Bowl
    1989-Championship Game
    1999-Super Bowl
    2009-?