Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

  1. #16
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,672
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Sir, they may not be "nearly as bad", but they haven't been "good" either. The run blocking has been horrid at best, and the pass blocking has been merely decent. If you want to see spectacular O-line play, please watch the Denver Broncos.
    I get it, disregard league rankings because they obviously have nothing on your expert opinion.

    Sorry sir, but I'm gonna ride with the rankings on this one.


  2. #17
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,672
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Arbitrary, unscientific and incorrect.
    Even if they aren't completely accurate, they certainly provide an idea for where teams rank. And IMO, even if the actual ranking is closer to 15 than 6, it is still much higher than many on this board have given credit for.
    BarronWade likes this.

  3. #18
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,672
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Arbitrary, unscientific and incorrect.
    Even if they aren't completely accurate, they certainly provide an idea for where teams rank. And IMO, even if the actual ranking is closer to 15 than 6, it is still much higher than many on this board have given credit for.

  4. #19
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

    Even if they aren't completely accurate, they certainly provide an idea for where teams rank. And IMO, even if the actual ranking is closer to 15 than 6, it is still much higher than many on this board have given credit for.
    If that was true, our rushing stats would not be so abysmal.

  5. #20
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

    I get it, disregard league rankings because they obviously have nothing on your expert opinion.

    Sorry sir, but I'm gonna ride with the rankings on this one.
    Those are not "league rankings." They are the rankings of a pay per view website.

  6. #21
    emuen's Avatar
    emuen is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Conclusion of this thread:

    If the stats say there are hope for Bradford, they count to some, but not to others.

    If the stats say there are hope for our O-line, they do not count to some, but do to others

    Go back to the "The curious case of Sam Bradford"-thread, and you will see that they are build on the same premise. Random stats. However the people that said look at the stats in that thread, now say look at the tape, while the ones who said look at the tape, now say look at the stats.
    MoonJoe and supachump like this.

  7. #22
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,674
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Pro Football Focus is used by beat writers of multiple teams (not just Bernie) as a reference to provide detailed information to their readers. It's referenced regularly by Rotoworld, which now appears under the NBC Sports banner and is one of the leading fantasy football news sources. Not only do ESPN division bloggers use it, but ESPN's site actually links or embeds PFF content for their readers at times. Additionally, at least two NFL organizations have used data from Pro Football Focus to help them make personnel decisions, based on articles written this offseason.

    So if Pro Football Focus is a sham, then they've got a lot of people whose reputation and careers depend on having accurate information fooled.

    I don't know that I would have ranked the Rams' line 6th best in the league myself, but then again, I also haven't even been able to watch every game and certainly haven't been able to watch every other line in the league. These guys have, and this is the ranking they've come up with. They're seemingly respected enough by people who cover or work in the league that I think their analysis is worth considering.

    While you obviously don't expect a teammate to throw other teammates other the bus, Sam Bradford was particularly complimentary of his line in a recent article for the Rams' official web page regarding why he was able to be successful: "Obviously, the guys around me, those guys are playing really well up front, giving me time to make the decisions that I need to get the ball to the open receiver."
    shower beers likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  8. #23
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pro Football Focus is used by beat writers of multiple teams (not just Bernie) as a reference to provide detailed information to their readers. It's referenced regularly by Rotoworld, which now appears under the NBC Sports banner and is one of the leading fantasy football news sources. Not only do ESPN division bloggers use it, but ESPN's site actually links or embeds PFF content for their readers at times. Additionally, at least two NFL organizations have used data from Pro Football Focus to help them make personnel decisions, based on articles written this offseason.

    So if Pro Football Focus is a sham, then they've got a lot of people whose reputation and careers depend on having accurate information fooled.

    I don't know that I would have ranked the Rams' line 6th best in the league myself, but then again, I also haven't even been able to watch every game and certainly haven't been able to watch every other line in the league. These guys have, and this is the ranking they've come up with. They're seemingly respected enough by people who cover or work in the league that I think their analysis is worth considering.
    Sorry, but the endorsement of a few lazy sportswriters and fantasy geeks doesn't carry any weight with me.

    My biggest problem with PFF though, is that it packages subjective opinions as objective data. That, in my book, is dishonest.

  9. #24
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    I have mixed feelings on our offensive line, and I know nothing about this particular site that ranked these guys. We all also know that you need a good offensive line for a running back and QB to succeed. But isn't it possible that our running backs aren't successful simply because they're not very good??
    mh-i likes this.

  10. #25
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Conclusion of this thread:

    If the stats say there are hope for Bradford, they count to some, but not to others.

    If the stats say there are hope for our O-line, they do not count to some, but do to others
    Ooooh.... you got me there.

    Unless...

    Oh, yeah...

    PFF's rankings ARE NOT STATISTICAL!

    The term "stat" (short for statistic) refers to objective data.

    PFF does not qualify. They use subjective observations and opinions to form their rankings.

    Glad I could clear that up for you.

  11. #26
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have mixed feelings on our offensive line, and I know nothing about this particular site that ranked these guys. We all also know that you need a good offensive line for a running back and QB to succeed. But isn't it possible that our running backs aren't successful simply because they're not very good??
    Sure that's possible. But, if a team has a ypa rushing average below 3.5 and, when you watch their games, you see the OLfailing to open up holes and allowing opposing defenders to hit the RBs in the backfield, its not tough to figure out that the OL is a big part of the issue.
    ManofGod likes this.

  12. #27
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Livermore, Ca/ Arnold,Ca
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,178
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have mixed feelings on our offensive line, and I know nothing about this particular site that ranked these guys. We all also know that you need a good offensive line for a running back and QB to succeed. But isn't it possible that our running backs aren't successful simply because they're not very good??
    I sense that is more then just a part of it. I see hesitation and then whap......a tackle. I can't wait to see how Zac does against the Texans. He is a north south runner....nothing fancy just plow ahead. If he is not too banged up I expect a similar performance that we happily witnessed last Sunday.
    MauiRam, PARamfan and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

  13. #28
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I think it speaks volumes about Sam Bradford as a QB.

    One less excuse for him certainly helps my stance on him.
    Agreed... people here are completely disillusioned with Bradford. Can't blame them for being optimists... but eventually you have to see the forest from the trees... He is dragging us down.

    As for the comments about the run game... any defense is going to shut that down when they don't need to have a single defender past 5 yards... Checkdown Sam is also at fault for that.

  14. #29
    emuen's Avatar
    emuen is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Ooooh.... you got me there.

    Unless...

    Oh, yeah...

    PFF's rankings ARE NOT STATISTICAL!

    The term "stat" (short for statistic) refers to objective data.

    PFF does not qualify. They use subjective observations and opinions to form their rankings.

    Glad I could clear that up for you.
    All of their calculations are build on on the field performances (stats). The way they are put together form a picture that can describe a situation in just about every way one would want them to, if you just exclude all evidence of the opposite of your argument. This is the way the Bradford stats were laid out in the other thread, and it might have been the way they were put together on PFF. However PFF uses the same rules for all O-lines in the league, not just the ones they would like to make look good in a post, and they are, according to Nicks findings, a recognized source of information in the professional business.

    So, one could find the ways they put together their stats less subjective than yours, while maybe a little less transparent. Sure you just presented the stats as they were, but part of that is choosing which stats not to show (e.g. Bradford ranks 32nd in the league in yards per attempt).

    Also statistics is the collection and interpretation of data, so the PFF rankings are actually statistical.
    supachump likes this.

  15. #30
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Rams line comes in at number 6 in Pro Football Focus league rankings

    I know everybody is focused on the Rams offense and in this thread it's about the line. However good or bad they have looked the real problem with the Rams is the defense and the defensive line against the run. Add the linebackers in on that mix also. The Rams defense game after game makes it a game of catch-up for the offense and puts pressure on the offensive line. The D-line does good when the opposition is in a must pass situation but they can't stop the run even when they know it's coming.
    shower beers and DE_Ramfan like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: -11-14-2012, 10:36 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -09-27-2012, 01:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
  4. Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line
    By 39thebeast in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: -04-17-2010, 03:14 PM
  5. Offensive Line Picture Comes Into Focus
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •