Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rams linebacker Vobora wins $5.4 million judgment against supplement company

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Rams linebacker Vobora wins $5.4 million judgment against supplement company

(lifted from pft.com)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 20, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
    St. Louis Rams linebacker David Vobora takes down Kansas City Chiefs running back Jackie Battle during the first half of their NFL football game in St. Louis AP

It’s become a cliche by now: Pro athlete fails a steroid test, and they blame the supplement company.

In the case of Rams linebacker David Vobora, he was just telling the truth.

Vobora won a $5.4 million judgement against a supplement provider on Monday in a St. Louis court. U.S. District Judge Rodney Sippel gave the amount for Vobora’s missed four game checks and endorsement opportunities as “Mr. Irrelevant.”

“The court heard testimony that the positive drug test and resulting suspension made Mr. Vobora less marketable than other similarly situated players who have not been suspended,” Sippel wrote via CourtHouseNews.com.

The supplement company — S.W.A.T.S — was found to have sold a product that contained a banned substance methyl testosterone. The NFL told Hue Jackson to stop associating with the company in January. Players like Ray Lewis and safety Roy Williams have a relationship with the company.

Vobora followed NFL protocol before taking the substance, including calling the league’s drug hotline.

“This monumental judgment cleared my family’s name. We stuck together through threats, ridicule, and unfair stigma,” Vobora said in a statement sent to PFT by the Spence Law Firm. “Finally vindicated, I’m relieved that I can refocus on football and help the St. Louis Rams get back to the playoffs when the lockout ends. I’m grateful the Rams organization believed in my character through this trying process.”

Vobora has started 16 games in three seasons, including five last year. We congratulate him on winning a deserved judgement, and becoming the first player in memory to prove it actually was the supplement company’s fault.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams linebacker Vobora wins $5.4 million judgment against supplement company

Wow. Good for him. Honesty wins out.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Rams linebacker Vobora wins $5.4 million judgment against supplement company

Great for him. It proves he is a great character guy.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

That is just awesome for him, and definitely an amazing upgrade from the salary that he's gotten so far as being Mr. Irrelevant. A shame we had to lose him for those 4 games before he could prove his innocence.

All in all, it's just another reason to like Vobora, and I really really hope he turns it on this year and can become a full time starter on the outside.
    Jonze likes this.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quite a precedent for future positive tests. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of "Vobora defenses" from players and agents in the years to come.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Great news for a class act like Mr. Vobora. My question is will the NFL consider rescinding Vobora's place on their failed drug list or whatever it's called these days.

It is rather obvious now that David never should have been on this list, and I think it would only be fair and just for the NFL to officially remove him from it and, finally, clear his name.

WHAT SAY YE?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Is that more than the contract he makes for playing football?

Hope he becomes the most successful Mr. Irrelevant in NFL history.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Is that more than the contract he makes for playing football?

Hope he becomes the most successful Mr. Irrelevant in NFL history.
    Minimum contract for those 3 seasons would probably be somewhere in the $1-1.2 million range, and he lost a quarter of a season's worth of pay due to the suspension(which he should get back now?), so $5.4 is big money to him.
    I believe!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Too bad thats probably the most money he will ever get in a season..

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

saw a similar article elsewhere and was real glad to see this. Apparently he was able to prove "intentional misrepresentation" (which is a form of fraud). A bigger coup in my mind though was the punitives. Approximately $2 million of his judgment was in punitive damages, which are always harder to get.

good for him and the Rams.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

For once, innocent until proven guilty means something. Good for him! It's just a shame this announcement didn't come when more people were paying attention to the NFL. It could actually have been some really good publicity for him.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFleece
    For once, innocent until proven guilty means something.
    If only Vobora could get those 4 lost games back. He truly did the time w/o doing the crime.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It's great to see Vobora get justice and prove his innocence, especially after being painted with the "cheater" brush. All he did was check and double check to make sure the supplement was okay, and for his trouble he gets slapped with a suspension. Vindication couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm glad that he stood up for himself in court and won his case. Good for him!

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If only Vobora could get those 4 lost games back. He truly did the time w/o doing the crime.
    But he DID take a banned substance. While he didn't mean to, and he did all the correct checks, the supplement did contain a banned substance and as such the 4 game ban from the NFL was still appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast