Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: Rams - London

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Rams - London

" Rams announce they won't play home games in London in 2013 or '14, which could wind up being the final two years of their St. Louis lease. "

- Mike Lombardi

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams - London

Here is the official press release from the Rams on this matter.

ST. LOUIS RAMS CONTINUE TO FOCUS ON FIRST TIER PROCESS; WILL FORGO HOME GAMES
    IN UK IN 2013 AND 2014
    ST. LOUIS, MO – In an effort to focus on the Edward Jones Dome First Tier Process with the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, the St. Louis Rams are withdrawing their commitment to play a home game in London in each of the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
    The St. Louis Rams will play the New England Patriots on Sunday, October 28, 2012 at London’s historic Wembley Stadium as previously announced.
    “We are looking forward to playing in London this season as the NFL’s international series offers a unique opportunity to grow the American football audience, expand the Rams’ brand to international fans and enhance St. Louis on the global stage,” said Kevin Demoff, Rams Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.
    “However, moving forward, we believe our attention needs to be on the ongoing First Tier process. We have worked closely with the NFL in coming to this decision and remain key supporters of the international series and its’ objectives.”
    The 2012 International Series contest marks the first time in team history that the Rams will play a regular season game outside of the United States. The Rams participated in the American Bowl during the preseason three times and won all three contests: a 1987 game against the Denver Broncos at Wembley Stadium; a 1989 matchup with the San Francisco ***** at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan; and a 1990 contest against the Kansas City Chiefs at Berlin, Germany’s Olympiastadion.

Immediately, local Rams fans will be getting their two home games which they thought were “taken away” from them. I still feel robbed that I won’t be able to watch Tom Terrific in person though.
    Short term it means local St. Louis Rams fans can take a exhale a bit. This shows, at least from a fans perspective, that the Rams are committing to a good faith effort to make things work here.
    But on the other side of the pond, I’ve already seen tweets from very disappointed and let down Rams fans. I truly understand your feelings guys.
    If I’m playing the devil’s advocate I could look at this as appeasing the home crowd before yanking the team from the city. NFL Network’s Albert Breer gives a little third party perspective in his tweet:

Rams announce they won’t play home games in London in 2013 or ’14, which could wind up being the final two years of their St. Louis lease.

As always, we will have to see how this all plays out. This was a bold chess move on the Rams’ part – a move in the right direction at least for the local Rams fans.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Too bad they can't cancel the game there this season. Dumbest decision of the year IMHO, playing a regular season game overseas. A team like the Rams can't afford to give up a home game. Not that the Rams have a home field advantage anymore.

No offense to the Brits, but this is our game and regular season games need to be played on our soil.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

We weren't going to beat New England in St. Louis anyway, so from that perspective losing HFA doesn't really matter. That said, the "first tier" process should be done LONG before the 2013 and 2014 seasons, so I'm a little suspicious about that argument.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We weren't going to beat New England in St. Louis anyway, so from that perspective losing HFA doesn't really matter. That said, the "first tier" process should be done LONG before the 2013 and 2014 seasons, so I'm a little suspicious about that argument.
    Perhaps its a show of good faith by the Rams that they aren't trying to squeeze the city with loss of revenue, or some other reason. In any case, it seems to be a gesture of some kind calculated to go towards the negotiations, whatever their reason may be.
    Rambos likes this.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Don't care because I will still get to see a Rams home game this year and not have to travel more than an hour door to door to do so!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Too bad they can't cancel the game there this season. Dumbest decision of the year IMHO, playing a regular season game overseas. A team like the Rams can't afford to give up a home game. Not that the Rams have a home field advantage anymore.

No offense to the Brits, but this is our game and regular season games need to be played on our soil.
    I agree with the overall body of your post, but also think about the people who shelled out money for this game in london, including myself. I wouldnt be best pleased if i saved it all up then they go pull out of it. Ill probably never get to see the Rams in st. louis...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Perhaps its a show of good faith by the Rams that they aren't trying to squeeze the city with loss of revenue, or some other reason. In any case, it seems to be a gesture of some kind calculated to go towards the negotiations, whatever their reason may be.
    I agree it's a calculated move to go towards the negotiations just not sure what they are doing here.. are they showing the NFL that they did everything possible to make the deal work in St. Louis in case they can't get the stadium they want. Have they come to realize this is going to be a long negotiation and don't want the fan base to totally go away before they do. Who really knows.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    None taken. I think this is good news, I'm happy the Rams are playing here this year, that's only doing what several teams have done already, but there shouldn't be multiple games outside of StL. It is your game, you're dead right, and the NFL should quit talking about having a team based here.

One game a year with different teams each year, no real harm in that, and it gives the Rams a chance to represent it's city, but a team doing it several years diminishes a team's commitment to it's community.

I hope this announcement is a sign that the city and team are working together towards upgrading the EJD and the Rams remaining in StL.

It also makes the one off game more special, I can't wait to cheer on the Rams on my turf knowing their heart it in StL.
    Last edited by FilthyMcNasty; -08-13-2012 at 07:35 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Rams opt out of London 'home' games

I hadn't seen this mentioned on the board so I thought I would post it.

By The Sports Xchange | The SportsXchange – Mon, Aug 13, 2012 6:10 PM EDT

The St. Louis Rams announced they have decided to opt out of home games in London in 2013 and 2014.

The team had initially agreed to a "home" game at Wembley Stadium each of the next three seasons, beginning with an Oct. 28 game against New England this year, which will go on as scheduled.

The three-year plan was initially opposed by the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, which objected to the notion of losing a home game each of those seasons. The St. Louis CVC owns the Edwards Jones Dome, and leases it to the Rams.

The deal signed in 1994 includes an evaluation of whether the stadium is among the top 25 percent in the NFL, deemed "first tier status," and the CVC and Rams have been discussing improvements to the stadium. If the sides can't agree, the franchise could potentially move after the 2014 season.

"We are looking forward to playing in London this season as the NFL's international series offers a unique opportunity to grow the American football audience, expand the Rams' brand to international fans and enhance St. Louis on the global stage," Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said in a statement released by the team.

"However, moving forward, we believe our attention needs to be on the ongoing First Tier process. We have worked closely with the NFL in coming to this decision and remain key supporters of the International Series and its' objectives."

The CVC and the Rams are at odds about what improvements need to be made and how much they will cost, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The NFL will work to line up new teams to play the London game in 2013 and '14.

Btw The jags are now going to london until 2016.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    I agree with the overall body of your post, but also think about the people who shelled out money for this game in london, including myself. I wouldnt be best pleased if i saved it all up then they go pull out of it. Ill probably never get to see the Rams in st. louis...
    They haven't pulled out tho. So if you've saved up and bought a ticket, you'll still see them at Wembley. They've just pulled out of next year and the year after's games, for which tickets haven't been on sale anyway. Nobody lost anything here.

And as a Brit who literally moved to the other side of the pond just a week after the announcement was made, I'm slightly less peeved than I was