RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams are looking for assistants

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/19/2006

On the day that his hiring became official, head coach Scott Linehan and the Rams took some initial steps in assembling a new coaching staff.

For openers, the Rams contacted Jim Bates to express interest in hiring him as their defensive coordinator.

Bates, 59, is considered one of the top coordinators in the game. This season, he took over a Green Bay unit that was one of the league's worst in 2004 and restored it to respectability.

Actually, the Packers were better than respectable. Lost in the wreckage of a 4-12 season, which cost head coach Mike Sherman his job, was the fact that the Packers finished seventh in total defense and first in passing defense under Bates.

In 2004, under coordinator Bob Slowik, the Packers finished 25th in total defense and passing defense.

Bates' Green Bay defense was put in some bad situations by the Packers' offense.

Green Bay committed a league-high 45 turnovers and was tied for the NFL low in takeaway-giveaway differential at minus 24.

The Packers didn't come up with many takeaways on defense (21) but got a lot out of a group that basically had average talent.

Newly named Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy wanted to retain Bates. But Bates, upset over being passed over for the head-coaching job, said his heart wouldn't be into continuing in that capacity in Green Bay. So the Packers and Bates parted ways. Bates, who spent the previous five seasons with Miami, won't come cheaply. He was believed to be making about $750,000 last year.

But there are several other veteran defensive coordinators still on the market. Other possibilities for Linehan's staff include Ted Cottrell (recently fired in Minnesota); Jerry Gray (who was part of Mike Mularkey's old staff in Buffalo); Donnie Henderson (who parted ways with the New York Jets on Thursday); Dave McGinnis of Tennessee; and recently fired head coaches Jim Haslett of New Orleans and Dom Capers of Houston.

Dick Jauron, who most recently coached in Detroit, is another possibility. But Jauron is emerging as a leading candidate to get the Buffalo head-coaching job.

Other than the interest in Bates, there were staffing developments on several other fronts:

The Rams were denied permission from the Arizona Cardinals to interview Steve Loney, who was offensive coordinator-offensive line coach for Minnesota last season. Loney and Linehan worked together with the Vikings for three seasons, but Loney recently was hired by the Big Red after head coach Mike Tice was fired in Minnesota.

It is also believed that the Rams were denied permission by Miami to speak with Dolphins assistant head coach-wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett. He worked with Linehan in Miami last season, and worked with him in Minnesota the previous three seasons.

As a result, Henry Ellard could be retained as wide receivers coach. But Ellard also is believed to be drawing interest from New Orleans and Detroit.

There had been speculation that Linehan would try to bring in Tice as an assistant head coach-offensive line coach, but initial reports out of Minnesota were that Tice is not interested in coming to St. Louis.

One former Vikings coach who's almost certain to be in St. Louis is Randy Hanson.

Hanson, 38, was an offensive assistant and assistant quarterbacks coach for the Vikings last season. He worked with Linehan in Minnesota in 2002 and '03, and also with the University of Washington in 1996-97.

Multiple Rams sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Kansas City Chiefs are hiring John Matsko as their offensive line coach for the new staff being assembled there by Herm Edwards. Matsko interviewed with the Chiefs recently.

Matsko, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, has been one of the Rams' two offensive line coaches for the past seven seasons. He held the additional title of associate head coach in 2003 and assistant head coach from 2000 through 2002.

Meanwhile, interim head coach Joe Vitt is said to be drawing interest from Tampa Bay and Green Bay for unspecified positions with those clubs. Vitt declined comment Thursday on both his career options, and the Rams' decision to hire Linehan.

But most of the holdover coaches from Mike Martz's staff are waiting to see if they have a chance to work for Linehan. Some, expecting the worst, have started to clean out their offices at Rams Park.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are looking for assistants

From the former site;

LInehan Confirmed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scott Linehan is the Rams' new head coach. There will be a press conference Friday at 11 a.m.
    Word is he will bring Charlie Baggett from Miami as offensive coordinator, and will retain receivers coach Henry Ellard.
    Howard Balzer - Gridiron Gateway Insider
    I hope Ellard stays, if he can't bring in Baggett, he should consider Ellard as OC.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Welker83 is offline Registered User

Most of us thought that baggett would leave. He is not considere a serious candidate for our OC. BUT saban and Baggett have long ties. Bagget coached for saban at michigan st. before baggett met linehan in minnesotta.

The feeling over here is that no decision will be made on baggett til we decide on an OC. Saban has said he wants a guy in by the Senior bowl. Interviews have already started...
    And it looked like such a good day...

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I hope Henry stays but Baggett would make a good O.C. Matsko needs to stay as well ... What a great time to be a fan , All the things going people moving around to different teams ... This is alot fun to watch ( just hope we come out on top ???) ... Since computers and fan based websites have come along WOW its really been great ... I remember when it was phone calls and reading the papers ... very year I find myself really being thankfull for being in tune by pushing a button and Clan ram what a joy to have ... Sorry if I got off the subject of thread ...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -01-20-2006 at 12:55 PM.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Welcome welker83 to ClanRam thanks for posting

general counsel is offline Registered User

i read the rams were denied permission to talk with baggart. did i get that wrong?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm sure i just read that somewhere too GC

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

Rambos is offline Registered User

It seems like we are being denied permission to talk to some of these coaches, hope Bate signs on although Jim Haslett would be an hugh up grade.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

"Matsko needs to stay as well"

I'm not so sure about that one. There have been numerous threads about the OL and the one constant has been Matsko. We have an opportunity to move towards the young players and I truly believe a new OL coach would be a better choice.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

maineram is offline Registered User

Saban denied permission to contact baggart

Matsko is being courted by the Chiefs

wants to keep Ellard but is drawing interest from a couple of teams.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

general counsel is offline Registered User

Hire Dez as associate head coach and let him help recruit the staff.

ramming speed to all

general counsel