Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Rams Looking to Get More Physical at Safety?

Per Steve Wyche NFL.com from the article "Newton makes headlines; Gabbert garners teams' attention"

St. Louis let safety O.J. Atogwe's contract expire, making him a free agent. Even though there is talk about bringing him back, that isn't the Rams' first choice, a league source said. They really like Atogwe and think he is a nice player, but they are trying to get more physical at the position and might try to find more of a thumper and playmaker. That said, look for St. Louis to consider outside linebackers with some of their early picks in the draft.

This, coupled with some of the vague noncommital statements about bringing Atogwe back makes me think this is actually true. It makes sense given Spags style of defensive play and it falls in line with what we've been doing.

Atogwe is not fast, isn't great i coverage, and isn't known as a thumper but he can still make plays.

Given the fact that he was due a lot of money, especially for a safety, I wouldn't hold my breath about Atogwe coming back.

I like Atogwe and would love him back for a reasonable contract but I'm not of the opinion that the Rams will implode on defense without him (not in the slightest) and would not mind a change of heart at the position if indeed it came down to that.
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -03-02-2011 at 10:20 AM.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Looking to Get More Physical at Safety?

I completely agree with you. I would have liked for this to be happening next year because we are creating another hole that needs to be filled right now. But I also understand that because of the roster bonus it was impossible to keep him and I for one actually expected him to get cut.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

You said he isn't great in coverage.. Why? I'm pretty sure that was one of his strengths. And you also said he isn't a thumper (I'm assuming that means big hitter) explain to me all the fumbles he has forced please.

richtree is offline Registered User

Two words.....WILL HILL>.........He will be available Round 3 and later.

He is a great FS that comes up and pounds players. Also, lead Florida in Special Teams tackles for 2 straight seasons. He is great athlete that will last through to our Round 3 pick. He is perfect roaming safety that can play on the line as well as in center-field.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Per Steve Wyche NFL.com from the article "Newton makes headlines; Gabbert garners teams' attention"

St. Louis let safety [URL="http://www.nfl.com/players/oshiomoghoatogwe/profile?id=ATO237308"] They really like Atogwe and think he is a nice player, but they are trying to get more physical at the position and might try to find more of a thumper and playmaker. That said, look for St. Louis to consider outside linebackers with some of their early picks in the draft.
    Huh? Not sure how these two statements are compatible. Does he mean to say that the Rams will be looking for a more physical safety or are they going to be drafting outside linebackers to play safety?

At any rate it's looking more and more like Mr. Atogwe will not be back in a Rams uniform. If that big kid from WVU, Robert Sands, could play free safety he might be just what the Rams are looking for.

WHAT SAY YE?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

As much as we all love OJ's knack for making big plays for the defense, he also made a lot of big plays for opposing teams offense.

thickandthin, he is not a big thumper, but he is excellent at stripping a ball carrier. Unfortunately going for the strip is a high risk, high reward. If you go for the ball, a lot of times you will not make the tackle.

The more I think about it, it really doesn't surprise me the Spags is not in love with OJ's playing style. OJ is a risk taker, Spags believes in fundamentals and is conservative. I'm sure he loves his leadership and attitude, but you don't make a guy the highest paid at his position because he is a good leader.

That being said, I just bought an OJ Atogwe shirt
    I suppose it will become a testament of sticking through the last three terrible years of Rams football.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    You said he isn't great in coverage.. Why? I'm pretty sure that was one of his strengths. And you also said he isn't a thumper (I'm assuming that means big hitter) explain to me all the fumbles he has forced please.
    He was never great in coverage. He was not as good as some people thought he was. Sure he is good and I'd love for him to be back, but he is not top 5 in his position sadly. He also doesn't hit guys hard at all....the fumbles come from him stripping the ball carrier.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Atogwe is what one would call an opportunistic safety. He always seemed to be there when a QB made a mistake with the ball. However, his lack of speed and pursuit angles have hurt the Rams greatly in the passing game and the running game. And like has already been stated, Atogwe strips the ball out, he doesn't lay the ball carrier out by any means. Can't remember the last time he got a clean tackle on a ballcarrier one on one and the guy went backwards.

Atogwe doesn't fit the Spags safety mold at all but he was kept around because he could still make plays and was a leader on the defense.

Now that keeping him will seemingly require him to be paid like a top 5 safety, all signs point to him becoming the odd man out and the Rams will simply cut losses.

Whether Atogwe is here or not I won't lose any sleep but I will miss the guy.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Atogwe is what one would call an opportunistic safety. He always seemed to be there when a QB made a mistake with the ball. However, his lack of speed and pursuit angles have hurt the Rams greatly in the passing game and the running game. And like has already been stated, Atogwe strips the ball out, he doesn't lay the ball carrier out by any means. Can't remember the last time he got a clean tackle on a ballcarrier one on one and the guy went backwards.

Atogwe doesn't fit the Spags safety mold at all but he was kept around because he could still make plays and was a leader on the defense.

Now that keeping him will seemingly require him to be paid like a top 5 safety, all signs point to him becoming the odd man out and the Rams will simply cut losses.

Whether Atogwe is here or not I won't lose any sleep but I will miss the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He was never great in coverage. He was not as good as some people thought he was. Sure he is good and I'd love for him to be back, but he is not top 5 in his position sadly. He also doesn't hit guys hard at all....the fumbles come from him stripping the ball carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    As much as we all love OJ's knack for making big plays for the defense, he also made a lot of big plays for opposing teams offense.

thickandthin, he is not a big thumper, but he is excellent at stripping a ball carrier. Unfortunately going for the strip is a high risk, high reward. If you go for the ball, a lot of times you will not make the tackle.

The more I think about it, it really doesn't surprise me the Spags is not in love with OJ's playing style. OJ is a risk taker, Spags believes in fundamentals and is conservative. I'm sure he loves his leadership and attitude, but you don't make a guy the highest paid at his position because he is a good leader.

That being said, I just bought an OJ Atogwe shirt
    I suppose it will become a testament of sticking through the last three terrible years of Rams football.
    Well said guys, I can't add anything else. Glad to see so much agreement on this one topic. Will Hill has the skill set to be a top flight safety in the league, hopefully he'll be there in the 3rd round when we are on the clock.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -03-03-2011 at 05:54 AM.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Man, I hope that if we get Will Hill that he doesn't pull a Tye Hill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I bet we make Robert Sands our second round pick, just a feeling.

Devaney said he was drooling over a safety in this class, and Sands was the only one we interviewed at the combine.