Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rams lose 28-21 to Titans; The Good, the bad and the ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams lose 28-21 to Titans; The Good, the bad and the ugly

Another tough loss in a winnable game for the Rams, featuring blown opportunities and self inflicted wounds. It's getting a little tougher to swallow every week. We sure miss Sammy!

The Good

Every loss gets us a better draft pick for next year (trying to see the glass half full in a difficult situation!)

We have a running back for the future in Zac Stacy (who scored our first two rushing tds of the year, caught 6 balls for 51 yards and ran for 127 yards on 27 carries, including a fantastic 32 yard run towards the end where he broke multiple tackles)
    First drive of the second half was excellent. Early drive before the benny fumble was also very good.
    Nice game for Hecker
    Nice first career catch for Bailey
    Finnegan INT (Although it was thrown right to him)
    Two sacks for Langford (4 overall for the Rams)
    9 tackles and a sack for Laurinaitis
    Nice TD catch off a nice throw for Cook at the goal line
    Clemens was 7-7 for 75 yards. It was downhill from there, athough he did have some dropped balls (what would a rams game be without dropped balls) and had one nice run for a first down early in the game.
    First half defense was terrific after the first penalty strewn drive (the second half was just ugly defensively)
    Nice punt return in fourth for austin.

The Bad

Clemens. He was 20-35 for 210, a td and no ints, but he had a huge fumble that played a material part in costing us the game that he never should have lost, and missed numerous open receivers all day long. He missed austin and Kendricks for TD's (austin cant get a break!)

I dont understand why we start throwing the ball multiple plays in a row late in the 3rd and into the fourth when we are running effectively with Zac.

Our run defense in the second half was awful (CJ wound up with 150 yards rushing) and with the short drops, we didnt get to the qb despite multiple blitzes. Kendall Wright looked pretty good against us. Too much lost containment against CJ.

Too many penalties on the titans first drive of the game.
    Too many drops

The UGLY

What happened to the defense in the second half? Multiple long drives, just ugly especially after we got the 14-7 lead.

The Benny fumble was ugly. No one touches him, he just drops it.
    Clemens fumble at the end was butt ugly.
    The Leg has no business missing a 44 yard field goal. We get a turnover before half, gain no yards on three plays, and then get no points. Second week in a row with a big inexcusable miss for the leg.

Summary

The Rams continue to find ways to lose, but a lot of it is the same thing over and over. Without Sammy, we are a lousy throwing team, with a lousy innacurate qb and struggling young recievers. We are running the ball well, but then we seem to get away from that late in the game. Our play calling is suspect and our defense is either great or terrible depending on the half you are talking about. We can't hold onto the ball and can't take advantage of key opportunities, which is a good way to lose. Much as i hate to say it, its going to be a long long season playing out the string. We should be tampa at home. Other than that, we may well lose them all. Just to make matters even worse, san diego had three plays from the one foot line to beat the redskins, couldnt get the ball into the end zone, settled for a fg, and lost in OT. When it rains it pours.

The Colts on the road are next. I am not optimistic.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam and MFranke like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams lose 28-21 to Titans; The Good, the bad and the ugly

though i've lost my optimism within the last week, weren't the rams 3-6 or like 3-5-1 when they turned things around?

hopin for some magic lol

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    I think the first sentence of your summary is spot on. Winners find ways to win and losers find ways to lose.
    FestusRam likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Finnegan INT (Although it was thrown right to him)
    I don't think its fair to take any credit away from him.

He read the eyes of Locker and jumped the route perfectly and made a contested catch.

It's not as if he was just standing in one spot and Locker threw it right at him.

But of course in typical Rams fashion we don't get any points out of it...
    Trevor likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I really do not think Clemons should be listed in Bad....

We lost today because:

Cunningham fumble
    Defense lapse in rushing D
    Missed FG.

Oh...and the Rams are just not that good.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I really do not think Clemons should be listed in Bad....

We lost today because:

Cunningham fumble
    Defense lapse in rushing D
    Missed FG.

Oh...and the Rams are just not that good.
    Yea, Clemons played above average. He didnt fumble the ball, if you look again the pocket collapsed in under a second, and the ball was knocked out. You could argue better ball security in that position but were talking nano seconds to make decisions here.

Absolute toilet run defense, the Cunningham fumble, and the ShouldHaveTron missed FG are why we lost......not trying his hardest Kellon Clemons.
    PARamfan likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I don't think its fair to take any credit away from him.

He read the eyes of Locker and jumped the route perfectly and made a contested catch.

It's not as if he was just standing in one spot and Locker threw it right at him.

But of course in typical Rams fashion we don't get any points out of it...
    Spot on, if you watched what he did, he jumped the route and knew what route the receiver was running. Just a good play on Finnegans part.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

My disappointment right now rivals that of previous eras in recent Rams history. The only thing giving me a glimmer of hope is that we're young and have a few promising guys. But from where I sit now, however, it is a hollow feeling. Just another Sunday that started with cautious optimism and ended in terrible disappointment. I'm sick to my stomach.

Another game given away. Another game that was there for the taking. More killer mistakes made at the worst possible time. Another season wasted and already talk of "next year's draft" with 7 weeks left of the current season. The standard "we're young and will get better" refrains which we hear every single year. Couldn't beat Tennessee- an average club at best with a lousy QB- at home in a game you'd think Fisher and company would have more than a fighting chance of winning given his history. Find me the positive.

We might not win again. Tell me where the victory is the rest of the season? Indy on the road? SF on the road? Seattle on the road? Chicago? A vengeful Arizona on the road? Think Tampa is a gimme? Guess again- you saw what they did today in Seattle, despite the record.

Certainly, losing your QB is a legitimate reason for a team to struggle. But Nick Foles can come off the bench and throw 7 (count 'em SEVEN) TD passes and win 3000 miles from home. Cleveland, who stinks and doesn't have a quality QB on its roster, can beat the defending Super Bowl Champs. The Jets (THE FREAKIN' JETS) with Geno Smith (garbage) can beat New Orleans and Drew Brees. Miami can beat the Bengals. But we can't do anything except come up empty yet again. It's an indictment of where we are as an organization.

I just don't know what more to say. Thoroughly demoralized.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

NJ, you make valid points for sure. And I feel your pain - and that of the STL Rams.

Thanks for the GBU report GC!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I'd add that Austin had a nice return that woulda gone for a TD if he hadn't stepped out of bounds. Another flash of why we drafted him.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Our play calling is suspect
    I see this in nearly every thread now - I think everyone has caught so no need to beat a dead horse.

mh-i is offline Registered User

9 tackles and a sack for Laurinaitis

He gets a bunch of tackles because it's the nature of his position but most of the time they aren't at the line of scrimmage or for losses. Most of the time he's chasing backs down from behind. Where was he on the QB draw? Teams have been running right up the middle on us for years. He's OK at best.
    Last edited by mh-i; -11-03-2013 at 10:20 PM.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I am of the same mind of macrammer. Clemons should not be blamed for this loss or even considered any part of this loss. In my eyes, this loss is pinned entirely on the defense. They were crap the whole game on run defense, crap on simple screens that went for big yards, just crap the whole game in spite of the INT's.
    PARamfan likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

you'd think coaching things like how to read a screen or get those hands up to bat down passes would be one of the main things you'd teach the line...not for this coach though...

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Anybody got JR. Williams's phone number?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast