Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rams lose 28-21 to Titans; The Good, the bad and the ugly

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Rams lose 28-21 to Titans; The Good, the bad and the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    He gets a bunch of tackles because it's the nature of his position but most of the time they aren't at the line of scrimmage or for losses. Most of the time he's chasing backs down from behind. Where was he on the QB draw? Teams have been running right up the middle on us for years. He's OK at best.
    You bring up a good point, however, the guys in front of him should be supporting the run. Chris Long and Robert Quinn severely lack in the run support game. Those guys concentrate on getting after the QB, which is their job, however they should also concentrate in stopping the run. I don't think the run defense woes fall on Lauranitis, Ogletree overruns rbs quite a bit.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We can all agree to disagree on clemens, especially as it relates to the fumble at the end. He has to tuck that ball in, the rush was right in front of him and he cant afford to lose it in that situation. I think he missed a number of open receivers, and i dont see how you discount the big miss to an open austin for a deep td (he also missed an open kendricks for another td). He started out well at 7-7, and then was ineffective for the most part for the rest of the way, throwing a lot of short balls. I am not saying the guy was a disaster, but he was below average in my opinion for an nfl qb. Probably about average for a backup qb, but he didnt do much to help us win or make a lot in the way of big plays. Said another way, if sammy missed throws like that people would be screaming bloody murder and while i dont have the same expectations for clemens as for sammy of course, i think he is part of the reason that we lost a winnable game, although i certainly respect the other side of the argument and believe that reasonable people can disagree on this point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    You bring up a good point, however, the guys in front of him should be supporting the run. Chris Long and Robert Quinn severely lack in the run support game. Those guys concentrate on getting after the QB, which is their job, however they should also concentrate in stopping the run. I don't think the run defense woes fall on Lauranitis, Ogletree overruns rbs quite a bit.
    They all should do a better job....but, the fact s the MLB is the QB of the defense. The ability to spot or not spot a given play makes a huge difference. On the aforementioned QB draw, I saw it and was very sad to see no reaction from the Rams defense to it. I would say that falls squarely on the MLB's shoulders.

At the end of the day, little things make a difference between winning and losing. The Rams just do not do enough f the little things to win. simple.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Of course clemons was part of the reason the rams lost. Ball security is a must in a collapsing pocket. And if Sam had played like clemons people would be freaking out.

Two straight weeks the rams find ways to lose.

Haste is offline Registered User

Was at my first Ram's game today since the Bulger era (Ravens game IIRC)

Few thoughts:

-Why wasn't the late hit on Clemons called when he slid?

-LOVED Bailey's catch and him staying on his feet for a few more yards; hopefully it gives him more playing time

-The 2nd to last play of the game looked like a clear PI against the Titans but was not called. What's up with that?

-Did Austin go out of bounds on his last punt return early? Couldn't tell what happened there.

-Stacy seems like he could be a productive back, but he still needs a complement to him.

-Quick had some very nice catch and grabs, along with Cook. However, they both still should be playing more physical given their size.

-Disappointed with the play-calling on both sides of the ball. On defense, there were many plays where you could tell they were going to run the ball and to what side, and they still get gashed. Almost could be accurate dictating the play based on how the Titans' Wrs looked at the line.

-Another failure of a last 4th down play to end the game. Sigh.

-I think Clemons is performing above and beyond what was expected of him after Sam went down, but I think it is time to try Davis or Quinn. There are just too many passes that ANY QB should be making or at least giving the Wr's a chance to catch the ball. Combine that with Clemon's likely not returning next year, we need to see if there is a QB on the roster who can be a backup.

-The stadium was filled up more than expected, maybe 65% or so. I do think it would be a good idea to pipe-in crowd noise like other teams apparently do.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Laurainitis had a bad performance today. To be fair though, the Titans were blocking very very well, and had lineman into the second level on all of Johnson's big runs. Some of the plays Laurinaitis had one or two lineman in his face, preventing him from making a play on Johnson, but on others, Laurainitis just seemingly ran into brick walls and couldn't shed blocks to save his life. He seemed hesitant and unsure of what to do to make a play on the runner.

One play in particular he seemingly had a free chance to tackle Johnson but instead ran into a blocker for some reason. Maybe he thought he had help behind him or something, but it was a bad choice to go after the lead blocker.

On another he was engaged with a lineman and in position to shed the block for a tackle, but seemed to not even be looking for the ball carrier and allowed him to go past, after which I think he spun in the opposite direction from the play. He seemed to be unaware of how the play was developing.

Our d line was beat up front all day long though, so Laurinaitis can't take all the blame here.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I'm sick of losing games we should win. Yesterday was a prime example, following last Monday where we had the game in grasp. I don't know if this is a coaching problem or just young players not executing. I don't care if we lose our starting QB, that is no reason to lose games in this league. I'm pissed and agree with NJ Ramsfan who recalls this feeling years ago when we were hapless. I acknowledge Jeff Fisher is a good coach, but something must change. Either it will be in the coaching staff or finding players who execute better, until then we're doomed to repeating games like yesterday.

Go Rams!
    Curly Horns likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12