Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By shower beers
  • 2 Post By Yodude

Thread: Rams lose game (27-9) and Self-Control to Seachickens; The Good, the bad and the Ugly

general counsel is online now Registered User

Rams lose game (27-9) and Self-Control to Seachickens; The Good, the bad and the Ugly

Well, so much for a dream ending to a season that started with playoff expectations! The Rams hope at a .500 record went down the drain today in a loss at Seattle that showed why the Rams, for all their improvement, have a ways to go before they are ready to challenge the division (and potentially super bowl) champions, at least on the road. We all knew that this was going to be a very tough game for the Rams under the best of circumstances. Playing with a backup qb against the #1 defense in the nfl in a must win game for seattle, the Rams were going to have to do just about everything right to have a legitimate chance in this game. Unfortunately, quite the opposite happened, as the Rams showed nothing that remotely resembled a functional running game, were victimized by very poor qb play, and self destructed with two bad turnovers (including a lethal pick 6) and a veritable plethora of self inflicted wounds via stupid penalties, including an incomprehensible FIVE unsportsmanlike conduct calls. The future looks very bright for the Rams, and the big news for the day was clearly the Redskins losing to the Giants, locking down the #2 overall pick for the Rams which provides Snead and Fisher with a ton of options, including hopefully a really beneficial trade down which still allows us to get Matthews in addition to a host of picks.

The Good

Locking down the #2 pick with the Redskins loss
    Quinn didnt look his best in the second half (he was obviously winded), but he did pick up sack #19, had five tackles, drew a couple of holding penalties and finished a record breaking season.

Not sure if Hecker broke the NFL record, but he had an excellent game, his average was 48.1 on 7 punts (including one he dropped at the three yard line) and seattle was only credited with 2 returns for two yards.

Bailey looked good again with 4 tough catches for 33 yards, no drops, solid routes, and he held onto the ball on one vicious shot.

Kendricks had a nice game with 5 catches for 54 yards, including a spectacular grab over the middle for 21 yards on the td drive.

Terrific 33 yard punt return by Pettis, who also had 2 catches.

Tree finished a strong rookie season with 8 tackles, although he had a couple of dumb penalties (See below). Great draft pick, unlimited upside. 6 tackles for Brockers who was excellent, 8 for McLeod and 10 for Laurinaitis.

Cook had 5 catches, including the TD and one really nice dragging of the pile for a first down on the last drive. He also had an ugly drop on the 2 point conversion (see below).

The defense as a whole didnt play its best game, but it put forth a valiant effort and kept us in the game as long as possible despite no functional offense of any kind. We held the chickens to 269 total yards, sacked them four times (Quinn, Langford, Long and Simms, however three were in the first half) and kept them to only one big play (the 50 yard td to Tate) all day. THey ran 36-111 for a 3.1 average, lynch had 23-97. Again, not our best, but not too bad either. There were some solid plays in the secondary again, once you get past some bad scheming leaving the db's way too far off the receivers (see below). Room for improvement for sure, but you cant leave a defense on the field all game long the way it happened today without your offense making first downs. Wilson was 15-23-177, was held reasonably in check although the long pass was an ugly play for the Rams. Unfortunately, our failure to cause any turnovers was a big difference in the game. Realistically, our defense was going to need to score or at least hand the ball to the offense in scoring position for us to have a chance in this game and it didnt happen.

The Bad

Most of what i saw today, looked really ugly, but i am going to give seattle the credit that they deserve defensively and call most of this bad (feel free to disagree and call it ugly, but to me, as a general rule, ugly stuff is really stuff where you are screwing up without the other team forcing you to do so).

We had ZERO running game today and as a practical matter, no functional offense. As a team 18 carries for 13 yards. Zac had 15 carries for 15 yards and came up 27 short in his quest for 1000. Today's performance, which doesnt reflect on him, no way diminishes a fantastic rookie season. We could not block inside all day and Melanbe and McDaniel both killed us inside. We obviously missed Saffold at guard with Jake Long out. We were simply overmatched inside. Tim Barnes is a solid guy for depth, i dont see him as a starter. We ran very well vs Seattle in the first game, and the complete lack of a running game, more than anything else, was the trigger point for this game. We were 2-11 on third down and had 11 first downs for the game, which shouldnt be a surprise given that we were in third and long and backed up deep in our zone all game. We had 158 total yards, not nearly good enough to be competitive in a game like this. Before the drive in garbage time, we had run 38 plays for a total of 98 yards! Third and long all day with Sammy in the game is going to be a big problem. With Clemens at qb, you really dont have a realistic chance to win in that situation. Per the announcers, Clemens was the #1 ranked qb in the nfl on third down going into this game, but that is a great example of why the running game is so important, because for weeks, we have been in very manageable third downs, and today, that was not the case.

Clemens was terrible today. He made crucial errors with the INT's and missed open receivers. While the run blocking was terrible, the pass blocking was not. Sure, he was rushed from time to time, but sacked only twice and he had chances in the first half especially. He missed a wide open Quick on a key third down (by the way, givens and quick combined today for zero catches). The pick six was an awful decision and the second INT was thrown into triple coverage when it was obvious no one was open. Clemens showed once and for all today why he is a game manager. Without a running game, he really can't do anything for you and our receivers weren't doing all that much to win the battle down the field.

It was bad that we were without Austin (high ankle sprains sure are nasty), and the injury to Saffold wasnt good either, lets hope he is ok. He limped into the locker room.

I can not understand the defensive coaching at all. Why is walton playing janoris, trumaine, mcleod 10 yards off golden tate, allowing him to beat us for a career high 8 catches for 129 yards. Helen Keller could have seen that the Rams couldnt afford to get far behind in this game. We had to play physical man coverage all game and hope for the best. Risky, sure. Alternative, no realistic chance to hold them under 17 points. We made it too easy on them and there is no excuse for that. Why not go down fighting? Janoris and Tru can hold their own against the seattle receivers in man coverage, although Janoris looked like he needed a seeing eye dog on the long td pass to Tate. He was in position and there in time to make a play, but seemed to turn the wrong way and overun the ball. By the way, congrats to Janoris for being named a pro bowl alternate.

The Ugly

The pick 6 was ugly. No other way to describe it. So was the other INT as well.

We had 12 penalties for 87 yards, including 3 on one play twice and 5 unsportsmanlike conduct calls, including one against Langford for hitting the ref (which really was an accident, but the throwing of the helmet was simply an unprofessional play). I like Simms and Ray Ray was solid this year on special teams, but both guys are showing a propensity to play out of control. As i have said many times, the Rams are nowhere near good enough on offense or defense to give up yards and first downs with stupid, self inflicted penalties, let alone good enough to do it against Seattle on the road and think that we can even stay in a game into the fourth quarter. We lost our composure today and young team or not, that should never happen to a professional. The late hit out of bounds by Tree came when the game was still in doubt and we had them in what was going to be a third and long (after cutting it to 13-3). We just have to play smarter football next year.

I thought Cook had possession of the ball in the end zone long enough for the two point conversion catch to count. Even if i am right about that, there is no excuse for him relaxing at the end of the play and not pulling the ball in tighter. This was at least the second mental lapse by cook on a scoring play this year (see week one vs arizona), and while the play wasnt going to change the outcome of the game, it is just unacceptable on any level as far as i am concerned and I dont want to see any of those out of Cook next season.

Summary

The Rams finish 7-9 and have the second and 10th pick in the draft. We have Sammy coming back. We fought hard, had some quality wins against playoff teams, and did much better than anyone could have reasonably expected after we lost sammy for the year. We discovered some outstanding young talent and have lot to look forward to. Today was a real longshot to win, but it would have been nice to play better and not self destruct with the stupid penalties in the last game of the season. Just because its a brutal emotional divisional matchup, doesnt mean that you can lose your concentration and get distracted into making mental errors that hurt the team. Ram and coach fisher football means controlled fury, it doesn't mean playing like an out of control 18 year old.

I intend to do a season review good, bad and ugly later this week. For now, i think we lost to the super bowl champions today (although i hope i am wrong because i hate the seachickens and especially pete carroll) and this was one of the games that you had to know was a major longshot under the best of circumstances, even with Sammy. It was just fantastic to see the Redskins go completely into the tank and lose their last 8 games, because that #2 pick is going to be another key to building our team into a playoff team, and despite the brutality of the nfc west (arizona is the best team in the nfl to not make the playoffs), we aren't all that far away.

Ramming speed to all (and get well soon Sammy)

general counsel
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams lose game (27-9) and Self-Control to Seachickens; The Good, the bad and the

Great summary as always. I can not understand the philosophy behind playing the corners that far off the receivers. Does anyone else in the league do this? Seems we get beaten week after week. We've seen how strong and physical Jenkins is when he plays man on. Why not let him get up in Tate's face?

I've also read we have the thirteenth pick, though?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Rams lose game (27-9) and Self-Control to Seachickens; The Good, the bad and the

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Great summary as always. I can not understand the philosophy behind playing the corners that far off the receivers. Does anyone else in the league do this? Seems we get beaten week after week. We've seen how strong and physical Jenkins is when he plays man on. Why not let him get up in Tate's face?

My belief is that it's to help the safeties and to not get beat deep (as much). I share your frustrations though.
    live4ramin likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

No matter the outcome of Dallas and Philly, the RAMS have #13 and the Skins' #2. Strength of Schedule is #4 toughest with a Philly win (currently winning) and #3 with Dallas win.

gap

RedAlice is offline Registered User

I read the entire NO PARAGRAPH RETURNS WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TYPE IN ENGLISH fist block.

80% is right in that first BLOCK.

Rams did not have to play like they did today. And, they are much better than they showed. The unsportsmanlike penalties were unneeded and even before those started, there were things.

I call this team back a year to kindergarten. and Fisher needs to get control.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Great write-up, as usual GC, but I have to disagree with you on one thing.

No way this team (Seattle) wins the Super Bowl.
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Haste is offline Registered User

Seems we would rather give up constant 7-8 yard passes almost every completion and probably 2 or so 20+ passes by the end of the game, instead of a few more long plays.

IMO it sets up our defense for failure. There were plenty of plays today where the extra cushion we gave them resulted in a 7-8 yard play, making the next down that much harder to defend against.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedAlice View Post
    I read the entire NO PARAGRAPH RETURNS WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TYPE IN ENGLISH fist block.

80% is right in that first BLOCK.

Rams did not have to play like they did today. And, they are much better than they showed. The unsportsmanlike penalties were unneeded and even before those started, there were things.

I call this team back a year to kindergarten. and Fisher needs to get control.
    Hey, alice, If you're going to correct someone's punctuation don't do it while you're riding your tricycle. It's distracting.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -02-27-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: needed punctuation
    "The horror"

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Great write-up, as usual GC, but I have to disagree with you on one thing.

No way this team (Seattle) wins the Super Bowl.
    Well, GC, I stand corrected.