LordOfTheRams Guest

The Rams... love 'em or leave 'em!

The only good thing about this year is that Im finally gonna get rid of all you bandwaggon fans who jumped on board when the Rams won the Super Bowl. Good riddence!

Its like you dont get that teams have off years due to injuries and bad luck. What did you become football fans in the last two years or something?

Oh yeah, that's right, you did! :tongue: LOL

psycho9985 is offline Registered User
    dude you are a dip ..... I was probably a fan before you were born.

:mask:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: The Rams... love 'em or leave 'em!

The only good thing about this year is that Im finally gonna get rid of all you bandwaggon fans who jumped on board when the Rams won the Super Bowl. Good riddence!
    As bad as I don't want to even acknowledge the existence of LOTR, I must admit he has piqued my curiosity here.

We had a bad year in 2002, but 2003 promised better. Next year promises only change....better or worse is anybody's guess. So how are the numbers affected by this period of uncertainity? Will Ram fans be bolstered by this setback and come back stronger as the team rebuilds? Or will the outer rims of the fanbase fall off the map with finger pointing and exaggerated superlatives?

I'm sure nobody will claim the latter, but actions tend to be louder than words (and certainly louder than the Ed on Sunday). It may be "interesting" to say the least in the world of ClanRam.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AJD45 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure I understand how fans would be "bolstered by this setback"..? All the Rams fans I know have already lived through more than their fair share of lean years and are more than strong enough to handle a down year. They certainly didn't need such a setback season to bolster their fandom!

As to the OP, pretty silly all around. I don't know any Rams fans that jumped on after the Super Bowl. If you are referring to St. Louis folks who picked up the team recently, that's unfair as their allegiance happened upon the move, not because of the Super Bowl. I've never lived in St. Louis, but I find their fans to be among the most loyal and knowledgeable around.

Certainly, there will now be less support of the Rams for the rest of the year. But I think it's wrong to equate no-shows and people deciding not to watch for the rest of this season as jumping off the bandwagon. If this was a team that gave it their all with a front office focused on winning, that would be one thing. But that's not the case here. Fact is, the product is pathetic right now. It's not that the Rams lose, it's the embarrassing way they lose, with the lack of discipline and effort that starts from the top down. I have no problem with any fan that decides not to participate in this as a show of protest. You can still be a true Rams fan and express your opinion that they are going in the wrong direction.

As to the comment that this is an "off year due to injuries and bad luck", that's simply asinine. That sort of ignorance is a far greater evil than any so-called bandwagoner you are calling out.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've been the driver of this bandwagon since 1965. There's no way I'm gettin off !

:clanram: :tongue:

They certainly didn't need such a setback season to bolster their fandom!
    But if they didn't go through their setbacks, how would they even know if they were...
    more than strong enough to handle a down year
    I think the Patriots are seeing this first hand as was written in the Richard Seymour thread earlier. They have a lot of fans who never knew they existed before Tom Brady. They have their diehards, like every other team, but those that aren't are now waiting for Red Sox to start spring training. So, IMHO, down years every now and then can be healthy. It allows the good years to be that much better for those that stick with the team through the down times.

Certainly, there will now be less support of the Rams for the rest of the year. But I think it's wrong to equate no-shows and people deciding not to watch for the rest of this season as jumping off the bandwagon. If this was a team that gave it their all with a front office focused on winning, that would be one thing. But that's not the case here. Fact is, the product is pathetic right now. It's not that the Rams lose, it's the embarrassing way they lose, with the lack of discipline and effort that starts from the top down. I have no problem with any fan that decides not to participate in this as a show of protest. You can still be a true Rams fan and express your opinion that they are going in the wrong direction.
    AJD, you have my attention on this one. Wouldn't this be the definition of (simply for lack of better term), a bandwaggoner or maybe fair-weather fan? I'm not trying to imply that it is, but I could see where the actions of those who, as you say, are protesting the organization would look exactly like bandwaggoning to those who stick by the team in spite of the organization.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-05-2005 at 08:42 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

In 1989 the whiners spanked us in a championship game 30-3. I wore my Rams jacket up and down my neighborhood and everyone would yell out "Lambs." I was at a game in Anaheim were the Redskins spanked us 27-6. There were probably more Redskin fans there than us.

These are just two examples of the name calling I have endured and I know that everyone else wearing our gear will get the same adversity. Hey "bandwagon" I don't think so and I wouldn't call anyone else that either,
    or else we are attacking our own the same way others do. It's time for Ram nation to come together in times like these and focus on what we had and what we will soon get. Heads up and lets just (in the words of a famous philosopher) "can we all just get along."
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AJD45 is offline Registered User

It is inevitable that ratings and attendance will now go down, and I just think it's mentally lazy to turn that into an attack on Rams fans as a whole. To me a fair weather fan is one that is a fan of winning and bases their support wholly on that, not the game or the team. I think there are many Rams fans that are disgusted by the way the Rams are playing the game (lack of heart, lack of discipline) and the direction the franchise is heading, so have/will withdraw their support based on that, not the losing itself. I guess maybe it's the difference in how some people believe in booing their team to send a message, while some would never boo their team thinking that's being a bad fan. To me, at some point as a fan you have to express your displeasure in some way. My way is to still watch and whine about the state of things on this message board, but if others decide not to waste any more time with the Rams based on their embarrassing problems that have just gotten worse over the past few seasons, and not the W-L record, I don't consider them bandwagon fans or me a better fan than them, just different. I realize that a lot of logical holes can be poked through my point of view, I guess I'm just trying to get to what LA Rammer said, we can all get along, no need to turn on each other.

@ LA Rammer: I too endured the Anaheim days of more opposing fans than Rams fans -- the reverberating cries of "Who Dat?" and "Cha-ching" from Saints games we're especially painful. Thanks for bringing back that memory!

Quote Originally Posted by AJD
    we can all get along, no need to turn on each other.
    I agree. And I find it amusing that LOTR would turn to an Internet message board to spread the "bandwagon" seed. There probably isn't a more rooted fan than what reports regularly to a message forum, be it this one or any other.

I guess I'm just not yet seeing the separation of a fan who quits on the team out of protest or a fan who quits on the team because of loss. It appears that both are quitting the team until they start winning again. I'm sure there's a difference, I'm just not seeing it yet.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

I'm sure there's a difference, I'm just not seeing it yet
    You don't see the difference, because there is no difference. Quitting is quitting is quitting. Some will say they're doing it out of protest, as if their viewpoint is some higher perspective, but the bottom line is that some will leave this team. They may say it's out of protest, but if this team were in the playoff race even with it's problems, there would be NO "protests".

Look, call it what you will, bandwagon, fair-weather fan, whatever. If a person leaves the team when they are down, they got no right to wear their badge of honor when the team starts winning again.

As for the people that would boo their team, they are no fan at all. Pack it up and ship it down the road, cause booing your own team makes my stomach churn.

Let me say though, I do appreciate the very diplomatic sentiments of AJD45. It's obvious he is as loyal as they come, but he's taken a very decent view of fair-weathers. I admire that about you, sir, but I can't agree with the concept.

It's not the internal rationalization that matters, it's whether or not the fan supports the team when times are tough that matters.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."