MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

The Rams made the right decision to pass on Jenkins ...

Column: Jenkins has probably played his last down for Carolina
    By Steve Reed
    June 2, 2007 - 4:10PM
    I canít help but wonder what Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is thinking these days.
    Does he really believe that skipping the teamís Organized Training Activities is going to convince Panthers management to give him a nice, new robust contract?
    Címon.
    Sure, Jenkinsí agent Tony Paige said his clientís absence from the voluntary camp last week has nothing do with his desire for a new contract. Instead, Paige said Jenkins is simply attending to business and family matters in Maryland.
    Sorry, Iím not buying that.

Jenkins has been here the previous six years, so why the change of plans now?
    In a word: money.
    The reality is Jenkins isnít here because heís trying to force the Panthersí hand. He either wants a new contract or wants to be traded, where he can then sign a new deal with more up-front money for doing nothing. My guess is if Jenkins doesnít get a new contract he will hold out of training camp and the Panthers will eventually trade him.
    Either way, I think Jenkins has played his last down for the Panthers.
    I donít see any way Panthers general manager Marty Hurney gives Jenkins a new contract and I donít see anyway Jenkins returns under his current contract, which will pay him just under $10 million over the next three seasons.
    Jenkins doesnít deserve a new deal.
    Since signing a six-year contract extension after the 2003 season, Jenkins has missed more games due to injury (27) than heís played in (21).

Granted, thatís no fault of his own, but even though he was selected to the Pro Bowl last season the reality is he didnít play that well in 2006. Heck, even he was surprised he made it. There were numerous times last season when he was shoved off the ball, overran a play or committed an untimely penalty. Sure, he still made some nice plays, but he wasnít Pro Bowl caliber.
    Jenkinsí rationale for a new contract is probably that heís set to earn an average of $3.29 million over the next three years, well below the top five highest-paid players at his position.
    But my question is this: Since you havenít earned the money youíve already pocketed in the first three years of the contract, what makes you think you deserve a raise in the second half of the deal? Itís asinine.

Steve Smith outperformed his contract and deserved a new deal; Jenkins has not outperformed his contract and doesnít.
    Jenkins is still a very good defensive tackle when he puts his mind to it, but the reality is he isnít the best in the game at his position like he was in 2002 and 2003. And unless he drops a good 30 or 40 pounds, itís highly unlikely heíll ever return to that level of dominance.
    Several sources within the team have said the coaching staff is beyond the point of frustration with Jenkinsí inability ó or perhaps unwillingness ó to lose weight. The idea that he wonít be here in Charlotte this summer where he can be monitored by the training staff is even more aggravating. How can the Panthers have any faith Jenkins will lose weight working out with his so-called personal trainer in Maryland when he reported to rookie minicamp more than 40 pounds overweight?

Anyone who thinks giving Jenkins a big contract will make him happy and motivate him to succeed is crazy. That line of thinking didnít exactly motivate Derrick Coleman when the Charlotte Bobcats decided to dump $8 million a year in his lap.
    When this all shakes out, donít be surprised if Jenkins uses his contract situation as a way out of Carolina.
    The team has already shown a willingness to part with Jenkins when they put him on the trading block, so in some ways theyíve already thought about moving on.
    Jenkins apparently is ready to as well.í

My take:
    Some have said that the Rams offered a #2 and possibly some later rd picks for Jenkins prior to the draft. Maybe they did make the offer in case Carriker wasn't there, whatever -- I am glad we didn't give up a high draft pick and alot of money for a guy who it appears believes he can eat his way into a new contract ...

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams made the right decision to pass on Jenkins ...

I think that you could put the stipulations to make him lose weight, I don't think we should break the bank for him by any means, but if we could trade a kennedy and butler or somthing along these lines and get a decent contract with incentives then it would be worth it. Let's face it. Carriker and co could be great but they are rookies, and if we wanna stop the run he could be our best upgrade. besides 1 analyst comparing him to an ancient derrick Coleman doesn't really sell me on anything. Losing and gaining weight at the NFL level is easy. Besides again this is all over missing a voluntary camp. This guy is jumping the gun

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If the asking price comes down I would still trade Kennedy and Butler and maybe a 5th round pick next year for him.
    I can't believe people would not like a DL that looks like this.

DE Hall
    DT Carriker
    NT Jenkins
    DE Little

Thats three proven DL and Carriker with his great potential. Jenkins would free up the other three who could all get to the passer. Jenkins maybe over weight right now but he does not have any character issues with his teammates and he is only 27 with two Probowls at NT. If we don't get Jenkins we will be relying on a rookie Carriker and others with potential but nothing proven. It has been proven that when Jenkins plays he plays good.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Jenkins maybe over weight right now but he does not have any character issues with his teammates and he is only 27 with two Probowls at NT.
    Actually, he's a UT..........a huge UT, but a UT nonetheless. Maake Ke(I can't spell his name)atoa is the Panthers' NT. And Buckner before him.
    Last edited by HUbison; -06-04-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    If the asking price comes down I would still trade Kennedy and Butler and maybe a 5th round pick next year for him.
    I can't believe people would not like a DL that looks like this.

DE Hall
    DT Carriker
    NT Jenkins
    DE Little

Thats three proven DL and Carriker with his great potential. Jenkins would free up the other three who could all get to the passer. Jenkins maybe over weight right now but he does not have any character issues with his teammates and he is only 27 with two Probowls at NT. If we don't get Jenkins we will be relying on a rookie Carriker and others with potential but nothing proven. It has been proven that when Jenkins plays he plays good.
    My point was not that Jenkins couldn't still play. Rather it was that I am glad we did not give up a #2 and more for a guy who clearly has problems disiciplining himself regarding his weight. Rewarding Jenkins with a big contract at this point would be foolish. If an offer was made for Jenkins before the draft by the Rams (as far as I know, no one from the Rams orginization has confirmed that an offer was made), it is likely the Rams were hedging their bet in case the guy they wanted was no longer on the board.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Jenkins -- will he become a distraction for his current team, or will he buckle down, lose the weight, and try and earn the money the Panthers are contractually obligated to pay him ..??