RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams make contract offers

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/26/2007

INDIANAPOLIS The Rams have made one-year tender offers to three restricted free agents and have cut ties with two others.

According to league sources, the Rams have made one-year contract offers to linebacker Brandon Chillar, tight end Aaron Walker and offensive lineman Adam Goldberg. Restricted free agents have three years of NFL experience. By making the offers, the Rams get matching rights on any outside offers the players might get once the free agency period starts Friday. If the Rams don't match, they are eligible to receive draft-pick compensation.

There are three levels of tender offers, which in turn determine the level of draft-pick compensation. As of Sunday night, it wasn't clear at what level the Rams had tendered Chillar, Walker and Goldberg. If, as expected, the Rams tender the three players at the $850,000 or minimum level, they would get a fourth-round pick for Chillar, a fifth-rounder for Walker and no draft pick compensation for Goldberg (because he entered the league as an undrafted rookie.)

Chillar was the Rams' starting strongside linebacker in 2006, registering a career-high 77 tackles, with two sacks and five pass breakups. Walker was the Rams' No. 2 tight end behind starter Joe Klopfenstein. Primarily a blocker, Walker finished the season with five catches for 68 yards. Goldberg, a backup at guard and tackle, started two games last The Rams did not make offers to center Larry Turner and safety Dwaine Carpenter, effectively cutting ties with those players. Both will become free agents Friday. Turner, a seventh-round pick by the Rams in 2004, played in three games last season. Carpenter appeared in nine games, recording five special-teams stops and recovering a fumbled punt.

Faulk update

Turns out the Rams quietly did yet another contract renegotiation with running back Marshall Faulk last July. The revised deal lowered his base salary to $1 million (from $2 million) in '06; to $820,000 (from $2.6 million) in '07; and to $830,000 (from $3.2 million) in '08.

As part of the latest renegotiation, Faulk also is due a $225,000 roster bonus at the end of next week. Although the Rams expect Faulk to retire, it's possible they will still pay out that bonus. Despite the altered base salaries, the Rams remain on the hook for about a $4 million cap hit once Faulk retires in the form of unamortized signing bonus money from past renegotiations.

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Rams make contract offers

you know, it would be real nice to see him back ,well the rams are making headway with the new coach and team, as a backup, all rehabbed. it would sure make me happy to see him finish his career on the upswing instead of being a casualty of the injury bug.ya know, just a good year or two as a backup , taking some rep's from jax and being a teacher to the new backs that will come in this year, that kind of a veteran is priceless, just look what davis did for jax last year. i'm sure bruce and holt will be doing the same thing with the new WR's coming in this year also.i'm just saying, i wish he was healthy and gave us a few more memories on our way back to the playoffs.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't get why they don't just re-sign Bulger, if they're going to do that eventually, we may as well just do it right now. I don't get it why they procrastinate so much...I guess for more money on free-agency/draft...uhh whatever

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I don't get why they don't just re-sign Bulger, if they're going to do that eventually, we may as well just do it right now. I don't get it why they procrastinate so much...I guess for more money on free-agency/draft...uhh whatever
    Stay calm man, there attempting too.

We'll get Bulger and Jackson resigned this offseason, don't worry.
    RamsFan16