Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User
    RAMS FINALIZE 53-MAN ROSTER, CALDWELL CUT
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2008, 5:05 p.m. EDT
    Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams have made their cuts and finalized their 53-man roster.

No big names were among the players released; wide receiver Reche Caldwell and cornerback David Macklin are probably the best known veterans who failed to make the roster.

Five players who were on the Ramsí active roster last season were cut: cornerback Darius Vinnett, wide receivers Brandon Williams and Derek Stanley, and offensive linemen Mark LeVoir and Dustin Fry.

Others cut include defensive end C.J. Ah You, running back Lance Ball, linebacker Marc Magro, fullback Russ Weil and offensive tackle Julius Wilson.

Thomas reports that the Rams are making a last-ditch effort to trade quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, but heíll be released if they canít get anything for him.

I'm surprised they cut Macklin with our lack of depth at corner. I can only hope that doesn't come back to haunt us because we have already lost King for the season and Brown hasn't been healthy all pre-season. Oh, and Tye hasn't exactly been able to play all 16 games his first two seasons.

I assume they are going to try and put Stanley on the practice squad, maybe even Fry and Ball.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams make final cut down to 53

Now what do we have, 3 healthy cornerbacks for the season opener? Other than that not many surprises. I'm glad that they didn't cut any of the guys we drafted this year, they all seem like they could help out this team a bit.

**And for everyone just to see who's left I will post the roster here...
    OFFENSE

WR - Torry Holt, Drew Bennett, Dante Hall, Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Dane Looker

OL - Orlando Pace, Jacob Bell, Brett Romberg, Richie Incognito, Alex Barron, Nick Leckey, Adam Goldberg, John Greco, Roy Schuening

TE - Randy McMichael, Anthony Becht, Joe Klopfenstein

QB - Marc Bulger, Trent Green, Brock Berlin

FB - Brian Leonard, Dan Krieder, Richard Owens

RB - Steven Jackson, Antonio Pittman, Travis Minor

DEFENSE

DL - Leonard Little, La'Roi Glover, Adam Carriker, Chris Long, Victor Adeyanju, Clifton Ryan, James Hall, Eric Moore

LB - Chris Draft, Will Witherspoon, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Quinton Culberson, Tim McGarigle, Chris Chamberlain, David Vobora

CB - Tye Hill, Fahkir Brown, Jonathan Wade, Ron Bartell (Wow, what an unusually small section! If only Justin King had a stronger toe)

FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe, Eric Bassey

SS - Corey Chavous, Todd Johnson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - Donnie Jones

K - Josh Brown

H - Dane Looker, Donnie Jones

LS - Chris Massey, Richard Owens

KR - Dante Hall, *Donnie Avery

Punt Return - Dante Hall, *Donnie Avery (I think he will be the next guy for returning our kicks with all that speed.)
    Last edited by schut39; -08-30-2008 at 05:49 PM.

The Special One is offline Registered User

I'd much rather we'd have held onto Lance Ball and waived Richard Owens. We now have Kreider, Leonard and Owens as FB's - doesn't make much sense to me. I must say I'm a little surprised too that we let Macklin go considering how thin the secondary is looking.

Other than that though I like how the roster's looking. We've got 9 guys who can all contribute in some way or another to the offensive line which is great news considering the lack of depth last year. We have 3 solid TE's along with a good mix of experience and youth in the WR department. Pretty much we've got good depth IMO in most places apart from LB and the secondary.

Lets hope we can stay away from the injuries and rack a lot more wins than we did last year. Go Rams in '08!
    Last edited by The Special One; -08-30-2008 at 05:44 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I simply can not understand the fascination with richard owens. I have never seen him make a single play of any real value.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I simply can not understand the fascination with richard owens. I have never seen him make a single play of any real value.
    Same here, I say we get him outta here and let Krieder and Leonard do it all.

eldfan is offline Registered User

schut39

Looking at the 53 man roster I starting to feel good about this team. I know every body and they mama have us tanking the season. I think we might surprise some people.
    :ramlogo:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

how we have 1 less FB than CB makes no sense to me. That guy being Richard Owens makes no sense to me. I would have taken so many other guys over him

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We need to get rid of owens and get a guy off the Bengals waiver wire. Willie Anderson, Delta O'Neal, or Ahmad Brooks if we want to overlook some character concerns which i doubt. Delta O'neal most likely just to bring in a vet 5th CB which we desperately need.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -08-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm probably the only one here who thinks that we should have cut Minor, and kept Vinnett just in case. I've never been that impressed with Minor's play - sure, he makes a good run now and then, but he's as inconsistent as the KC Royals.

general counsel is offline Registered User

But minor is one of our best special teams players. Of course, given the recent performance of our special teams, thats not saying much. Is there any way that our linebackers could be any younger?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I'm probably the only one here who thinks that we should have cut Minor, and kept Vinnett just in case. I've never been that impressed with Minor's play - sure, he makes a good run now and then, but he's as inconsistent as the KC Royals.
    Actually, I don't think Minor is that great either. We should just go with Jackson and Pittman. We also have Leonard if anything Happens to one of them to back the other up. Then we can just switch to Krieder as our fullback.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Just thinking here but we might have desided to hold on to Owens through the first week and then we will cut him in place of a vested vetran. If we are to pick up a vetran before the first game and then cut said vetran before the end of the season, the vetran's salery will be garuenteed.
    Also, looking at our FB's; Leonard is a HB-FB 'tweener and Owens is a FB-TE 'tweener, while Krieder is the only "true" FB in my opinion. With the roster only holding 3 TE's right now it is of no surprise to me that Linehan would have Owens on the roster, with his love for TE's.
    With that all of my chest I still believe that unless Owens is a great ST player he will be released next week in favor for a DB to be named later

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    that is a little hard to understand maybe it's because hes so tall (6'7" I think) he can reach everything up high for Linehan.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    that is a little hard to understand maybe it's because hes so tall (6'7" I think) he can reach everything up high for Linehan.
    LOL, that's funny. I hope we are planning on bringing in another corner how is 4 enough? I say Owens has to go and we need to bring in a corner. 4 corners is that even normal in the NFL?
    Last edited by rammiser; -08-30-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Just Fix It

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32 View Post
    Just thinking here but we might have desided to hold on to Owens through the first week and then we will cut him in place of a vested vetran. If we are to pick up a vetran before the first game and then cut said vetran before the end of the season, the vetran's salery will be garuenteed.
    Also, looking at our FB's; Leonard is a HB-FB 'tweener and Owens is a FB-TE 'tweener, while Krieder is the only "true" FB in my opinion. With the roster only holding 3 TE's right now it is of no surprise to me that Linehan would have Owens on the roster, with his love for TE's.
    With that all of my chest I still believe that unless Owens is a great ST player he will be released next week in favor for a DB to be named later
    Great logical post. Rep points to you sir.

I also hope to see Ball in a Rams Jersey sometime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast