throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Rams Make First Round of Cuts

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams released 13 players Tuesday afternoon in order to meet the league’s criteria of getting to 65 players today.

Normally, the team would have to trim 15 players, but a couple of things limited St. Louis to having to send only 13 on their way.

Cornerback Jerametrius Butler was officially placed on injured reserve and unsigned rookie Richie Incognito also doesn’t count on the 65, leaving the following 13 players out.

The biggest name on the list is tackle Grant Williams. Williams was the team’s starting right tackle for part of last season, but had been forced to deal with a number of injuries that limited him. He has missed most of this preseason with a back injury.

Joining Williams in release are: offensive tackle Matt Morgan, punter Bryan Barker, kicker Remy Hamilton, defensive ends Clifford Dukes and Vontrell Jamison, wide receivers Michael Coleman, Dante Ridgeway and Brandon Middleton, linebackers Louis Ayeni and Jeremy Loyd, tight end Erik Jensen and cornerback Duvol Thompson.

Of the group, only Jensen and Ridgeway were former draft picks of the team as the Rams selected Jensen in the seventh round of 2004 and Ridgeway in the sixth round this year.

The Rams must get down to the final 53 by next week.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Rams Make First Round of Cuts

Bull Crap. WTF did they cut Ridgeway for. I hate Martz.

Scidog68 Guest

Too deep @ wideout. Too much talent, need to make room.

Don't hate Coach, it's a case of needing to distinguish yourself. Standing out among this crowd is no easy task. If Ridgeway is your boy and has Mad Skillz and all, he'll start somewhere.
    Last edited by Scidog68; -08-30-2005 at 05:59 PM.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68
    Too deep @ wideout. Too much talent, need to make room.
    We should have tried him at KR or PR. Atleast he knows how to not run backwords

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Bull Crap. WTF did they cut Ridgeway for. I hate Martz.
    I really tried not to dignify such a rediculous post with a response but, alas, I could not resist.

You see son, in the NFL there's a thing called a roster limit. In this day and age it's 53 players. What this means is that not every player that you may happen to like, not sure what Ridgeway's done to earn such a reaction from you, will make the team. Considering we already have 5 good wide receivers, and the team obviously didn't want to carry a 6th, who wouldn't see the field anyway, they clearly thought it wise to save a roster spot for someone who might actually contribute.

Have no fears. Once Ridgeway passes through waivers, he'll surely be on the practice squad. You can sleep well tonight knowing this.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -08-30-2005 at 06:04 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In the past, the Rams have carried 6 WRs, 2 TEs and 1 FB.

I suspect that Martz believes that he can get more (particularly on special teams) by carrying only 5 WRs, 2-3 TEs and 2 FBs.

Also, don't forget that, in a pinch, the Rams could definitely line up Marshall Faulk at WR.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me Ridgeway were to end up back on the Rams as a practice squad player.

sprtsmac Guest

Ya, I would say that Marshall is our 6th receiver if not our #4 at times.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Rams released 13 players Tuesday afternoon in order to meet the league’s criteria of getting to 65 players today.

Normally, the team would have to trim 15 players, but a couple of things limited St. Louis to having to send only 13 on their way.

Cornerback Jerametrius Butler was officially placed on injured reserve and unsigned rookie Richie Incognito also doesn’t count on the 65, leaving the following 13 players out.

The biggest name on the list is tackle Grant Williams. Williams was the team’s starting right tackle for part of last season, but had been forced to deal with a number of injuries that limited him. He has missed most of this preseason with a back injury.

Joining Williams in release are: offensive tackle Matt Morgan, punter Bryan Barker, kicker Remy Hamilton, defensive ends Clifford Dukes and Vontrell Jamison, wide receivers Michael Coleman, Dante Ridgeway and Brandon Middleton, linebackers Louis Ayeni and Jeremy Loyd, tight end Erik Jensen and cornerback Duvol Thompson.

Of the group, only Jensen and Ridgeway were former draft picks of the team as the Rams selected Jensen in the seventh round of 2004 and Ridgeway in the sixth round this year.

The Rams must get down to the final 53 by next week.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Ridgeway really surprises me. He must have ended in the dog house with Martz a couple of weeks ago, because we didn't see him the last 2 games.

Chiledog Guest

Rigdeway surprises me the most as well. He has talent, and I heard nothing put good things about him on the Rams Radio broadcasts. He was cursed with being picked by a team already blessed with many great wide receivers. I am really surprised that MM and the front office wasted that pick on someone they really didn't need, and are now not willing to hold onto long enough to use in a trade. He will not be out of work for long.

-

RamsFan16 Guest

Same with me but I got killed for saying it.

tanus is offline Registered User

It was your childish, immature response that got you killed. It wasn't the fact that you disagreed with the decision.

tim Guest

Well, with this receiving corps, it's hard for him to make the team this year. Look for him to land on the practice squad and hopefully make the team next year.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Williams and Morgan surprise me. This trimms the O line depth, especially at RT. I guess it's Turcker's job to loose, and Barron must be playing better.

So Garrett made it the next round. :mask:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    Rigdeway surprises me the most as well. He has talent, and I heard nothing put good things about him on the Rams Radio broadcasts. He was cursed with being picked by a team already blessed with many great wide receivers. I am really surprised that MM and the front office wasted that pick on someone they really didn't need, and are now not willing to hold onto long enough to use in a trade. He will not be out of work for long.

-
    I think all of us are a little surprised about letting Dante go. Although the little we saw and heard about Dante was positive, the only person who really knows where he stands in terms of attitude and talent is Martz. Hopefully he will land a spot on the practice squad and crack the active roster next season.

As always...

GO RAMS!!! :clanram:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast