RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams make an intersting move

Word has it that this kid can return the football like no ones business. That mean Terry "I am now scared" Fair will be cut??

Stamp bolts for the NFL

By IAN BUSBY -- Calgary Sun

Suddenly, the Calgary Stampeders are no longer deep at running back and returner.

Backup David Allen left the club yesterday to sign with the St. Louis Rams of the NFL.

Allen, who came to the club in early October, had a special clause in his contract allowing him to explore NFL options if the situation arose even before the CFL season was finished.

The departure leaves the Stamps shorthanded as they prepare for West Division semifinal against the Edmonton Eskimos Sunday at McMahon Stadium (4 p.m.).

"It's a sticky deal," said Allen from St. Louis.

"It leaves a bad taste as far as the timing ... It was a move that was best for me personally. I hate the fact it happened when it did but this is the reason why my contract was structured the way it was, to give me the opportunity to get back into the NFL."

Allen played 19 games over the past three seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, leaving him six games from cashing his NFL pension -- another reason he couldn't pass up the offer.

"This is my dream and I hope to do the things that I was able to do in the short time in Canada," Allen said.

The 27-year-old was first brought in as a returner to replace Terrence Wilkins when he was out with an knee injury. He emerged as another offensive threat in four games, rushing for 86 yards on 13 carries for a 6.6-yard average and catching five passes for 84 yards.

He had one touchdown receiving and one rushing in giving starter Joffrey Reynolds a breather, while also presenting defences a challenge when both were on the field.

In Sunday's 43-23 win over the Eskimos, Allen rushed four times for 36 yards and caught two passes for 44 yards.

Stamps head coach Tom Higgins wasn't happy to see Allen go but expected this to happen when the club signed him.

"The only way we would get him for the period of time we had him was to live up to our end of the bargain," Higgins said.

"Where we needed him was for returns. He just happened to be a running back. (Offensive co-ordinator) Steve Buratto always uses weapons and he was put in there to give Reynolds a break.

"It's tough to lose somebody but it's no different than losing him to an injury. We lost him back to the NFL. Now we have somebody to cheer for with the St. Louis Rams."

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Rams make an intersting move

Interesting. I just saw a highlite on this guy a couple of days ago, he looked pretty quick. I must admit I wasnt paying close attention because I don't care for the CFL at all, and me being in Canada I get bombarded with it, so I try to ignore it. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fascinating that he replaced terrance wilikins. What is our roster move, are we waiving bye bye to smoker to make room for this guy. With the emergence of bartell as a young stud in training (Granted, with a ways to go), i wouldnt be surprised to see us waive terry fair.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Since we are thin in the secondary and David Allen is a running back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cason let go. Keep in mind, keeping Cason and Allen would leave us with 5 running backs on the roster. Just my thoughts though... As always...

GO RAMS!!!!

Stamps is offline Registered User

He's very quick. Not sure what the Rams will do with him but like I said in the other topic he was used as the second running back in Calgary and often ran out of the backfield and took passes.

He also made a HUGE block when Calgary was down 7-0 last week. It made enough room for Reyonolds to run in for the 15 yard touchdown run.

Not to sold on his ability to return punts and kickoffs though. He never took advantage of the large CFL field and ran mostley north south.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamps
    Not to sold on his ability to return punts and kickoffs though. He never took advantage of the large CFL field and ran mostley north south.
    :O :O That's all we would be using him for and you are saying he's not that great? I know we won't be using him as an RB. If he's not that good in the CFL how will he return kicks in the NFL? I saw some hilite this past weekend on him and he was quick, but I don't care for the CFL so I wasn't really paying attention, but being in Canada I get bombarded with the CFL.
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Stamps is offline Registered User

Hey, he was solid up here but when Wilkins came back from injury everyone was happy about that. I'm sure he'll be better in the NFL were he's more used to the field.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

what the hell, lets give him a shot, he is quick from the clip i saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamps
    I'm sure he'll be better in the NFL were he's more used to the field.

Well considering that a CFL field is wider than an NFL field I'm not sure that helps him at all.