Varg6 is offline Registered User

Rams Make Roster Moves...

Rams Make Roster Moves
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006

3:40 pm CT

The Rams have signed DE Matthew Rice to a one-year contract. The teams also signed draft picks LB Jon Alston, TE Dominique Byrd, WR Marques Hagans, TE Joe Klopfenstein, LB Tim McGarigle, G Tony Palmer, G Mark Setterstrom, and DT Claude Wroten. The Rams also have waived/failed physical LB Trev Faulk.

Rice, a rookie from Penn State, spent a portion of the offseason with Buffalo after signing with the Bills as an undrafted free agent. Rice, 6-3, 265, started 31 of 44 games in his career for the Nittany Lions, making 147 tackles (67 solo), with one forced fumble, four passes defensed, and 17.0 sacks.

Draft picks Alston, Byrd, Hagans, McGarigle, Palmer, and Setterstrom all signed three-year contracts, while Klopfenstein and Wroten each signed four-year deals.

Faulk, a fifth-year player from LSU, played two seasons for the Rams, starting seven of 29 games played, making 68 tackles (43 solo) with one forced fumble and 40 special teams tackles. Faulk led the Rams with 24 special teams stops in 2004.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Make Roster Moves...

Bit suprised to see that we released Trev,I thought he was just going to be put on IR,sad to see him go I was always a fan and I thought he did a solid job last year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree big time with rip. The injury must be really bad. Faulk was an excellent backup and terrific on special teams. This has to be cap related, although i cant determine how. Maybe we are saving some money by waiving him, even if its just the cash.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

denverram is offline Registered User

A Rams team with no Faulk... I am not sure I am ready for that.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Good Bye Trev Faulk... You did your best for the team, You did great on Special Teams... Hopefully you'll find a new team... and Have a great career.

LongTimeFan is offline Registered User

Hello to all. Been a long time reader, but firt time poster. I agree, it's sad to see Trev gone. But does any one have any info on Matthew Rice? By signing him from Buffalo, does it affect our rookee money pool, or do we have to give up something to Buffalo?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Hey LongTimeFan! Have fun posting at the Clan!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Full Name: Matthew Rice
    School: Penn State
    Pos: DE

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 271 40: 5.00 Year: 5Sr

Bio: Three-year starter who posted 55/9/5 as a senior after junior totals of 51/6/3.

Pos: Improving defensive lineman with a nice degree of upside. Plays with good pad level, rarely off his feet and moves well to the sidelines. Flashes quickness and immediately alters his angle of attack. Displays power in his lower body.

Neg: Slow locating the ball and has marginal skills in pursuit. Must improve his upper body playing strength and hand techniques. Has a laundry list of off-the-field

Analysis: Turning in a solid senior campaign, Rice flashes ability but needs more consistency. Has a chance to make it if he gets his priorities in order.

and another:

Quote:
    NFL.COM

Prospect Profiles

Matthew Rice
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 270
    40 Speed: 4.90 E
    Position: Defensive End
    College: Penn State
    Final Grade: J 5.5

GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key

SUMMARY
    Rice is a defensive end who showed a knack for stepping up and making plays. He is a high-motor player who makes most of his plays because he reads the play well and hustles/works to make the play until the whistle. He is a good athlete who can move through traffic well, protects legs from low blocks well and can avoid blockers when on the move. He does a good job of containing the backside on runs away and once he secures vs. the cutback, he comes down the line of scrimmage well to make tackles on inside runs, but lacks the speed to make plays on outside runs. He is muscular and well built, which give him the playing strength to hold ground vs. run blocks. He has shown the ability to string out, shed and make tackles when he uses his hands aggressively vs. blockers. He is not an explosive pass rusher and struggles to consistently pressure the quarterback -- he can't get the corner and lacks pass-rush moves to defeat offensive tackles. Overall, Rice is a tough, competitive defensive end who is most productive when he attacks the offensive tackle/blocker aggressively and is consistently around the ball. Rice will likely be a backup defensive end and will struggle to make an impact rushing the passer. He will be the type of defensive end who sticks around the league for a while because of his strength, competitiveness and all-out effort on every snap and will also make plays on special teams.

STRONG POINTS
    Rice is a highly competitive defender who consistently makes plays hustling and chasing after the ball. He has good playing strength for a defensive end. He can stack at the point of attack vs. run-blocking offensive linemen, strings out the outside run, and sheds and makes tackles. When he is unblocked on the backside, he does a good job of running down the line to make tackles on inside runs behind the line of scrimmage. He is an instinctive player who consistetnly reads and reacts to the play well. He reads the quarterback well and does a good job of getting his hands up to tip passes when he cannot get close to the quarterback.

WEAKNESSES
    Rice is somewhat of a "tweener" who lacks the explosiveness and size of a defensive end, but lacks the athleticism and playing speed to make the switch to linebacker. He struggles to get consistent pressure on the quarterback because he lacks a burst off the ball to threaten the corner and has no real pass-rush moves. Even when he gets close to the quarterback, he does not have the closing burst to finish the sack. While he has the speed to chase down ball carriers in pursuit, he generally can only make plays on inside runs or down the field because he lacks the elite speed to catch ball carriers on outside runs away.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

G.C. It is obvious to me that Trev's back surgery just hasn't responded as hoped. I don't think his waiving has anything to do with his cap position. I could be wrong, but I feel that the Rams definitely would have at the very least brought him to camp to compete, if he was physically able to.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Darn you Wraith I was looking up info

yea, Mathew Rice seems like he could be a good competitor during this training camp to make the team. I'm very excited for this training camp.
    RamsFan16

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Maybe the team likes what it has with the likes of Alston and McGarigle at LB and on special teams. Or he could have been waived just to save the roster spot while he was injured but without putting him on IR and having him out for the whole year. If he gets healthy its possible he comes back.

LARAM is offline Registered User

I am sad to see Trev Faulk leaving. How do scenarios like his usually work out. I'm just assuming that Trev may sit the year out, and hopefully fully recover from his injury. Would this mean that the Rams might have some sort of first opportunity at signing him in the future ? or does this mean the Rams officially cut all ties to Trev Faulk, and then he is free to find another team in the future if he so wishes ?? Just wondering