Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Rams make Top 10 worst offseason move list

10-pack: The worst moves (and non-moves) of the NFL offseason
    By Mike Florio - SportingNews
    May 13, 6:36 pm EDT

With the offseason moving past the halfway point, it makes sense to take this opportunity to take a look at 10 of the moves (or non-moves) that stand out as the least prudent of the year to date. (Translation: I couldnít think of anything better to write about.)

1. Who is the Bearsí quarterback?

Chicago Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo reminds us of the guy at the end of Animal House who was saying, ďAll is well,Ē while all heck was breaking loose at the parade that Bluto and company crashed.

On offense, the Bears are a mess, specifically at the quarterback position, where they are sticking with Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton.

Um. Why? Grossman and Orton have been awful. And yet the Bears didnít sign an established player at the position and didnít draft a rookie to groom for the job once Grossman and Orton are gone (i.e. next year).

It makes no sense, and it speaks to a level of arrogance on Angeloís part that reminds us of the cake with the nasty message that was the Delta boysí float in that ill-fated parade.

2. McNair waited too long to quit.

It came as a surprise to many when Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair announced his retirement in the days leading up to the draft. And presuming the announcement also came as news to the Ravens, it would have been much nicer if McNair had made his intentions known weeks earlier. That would have allowed the Ravens to explore options on the free-agent market, such as Todd Collins, the Redskinsí backup who played well down the stretch and who could have been a potential bridge at the position while a draft pick got ready to play.

As it played out, the Ravens were forced to target a quarterback in Round 1. They reportedly wanted to trade up for a crack at Matt Ryan; instead they traded down and then up (taking a bath on the points chart in the process) to get Delawareís Joe Flacco.

In the end, all will be forgotten if Flacco flourishes in his first season or two. But if Flacco flounders initially, Ravens fans can thank McNair for not retiring early enough.

3. The Cowboys get fleeced.

Because news of the trade between the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins came on the eve of the draft, it made the deal a bit less noticeableóbut no less remarkable.

The Cowboys sent linebacker Akin Ayodele and tight end Anthony Fasano to the Dolphins for a fourth-round draft pick. Total. Seriously.

Ayodele signed with the Cowboys as a free agent in 2006, and Fasano was a second-round pick that same year. Although Ayodele would have been bumped to the bench by free-agent pickup Zach Thomas, itís highly risky, at best, for Dallas to count on the veteran linebacker with the history of head trauma to stay on the field. Meanwhile, after dealing away Fasano, the Cowboys had to burn a second-round pick on a new tight end (Texas A&Mís Martellus Bennett) to work behind Jason Witten.

4. The Jags roll the dice with Harvey.

When the Minnesota Vikings gave up a first-round pick and two third-rounders (and swapped sixth-rounders with KC) to get one of the best defensive players in the game from the Chiefs, the media went loco talking about the risk the Vikes had taken.

When the Jaguars gave up a first-round pick, two third-round picks and a fourth-round pick to get an unproven rookie who plays the same position, the reaction wasnít nearly as extreme.

Although Derrick Harvey might eventually be as good as Jared Allen, the Vikings definitely got the player who already has reached that level. If the Vikings are right about Allen having exorcised his off-field demons, the Jags are the ones who took the real risk.

5. The Eagles should have shopped Sheppard sooner.

When rumors initially swirled regarding the possibility the Philadelphia Eagles would trade cornerback Lito Sheppard, the team vehemently denied them. But as soon as cornerback Asante Samuel was on the roster, Sheppard was on the block.

By then it was too late, though. With Samuel on board, the Eagles lost any leverage they would have had if they had tried to shop Sheppard before the start of free agency.

The Eaglesí apparent goal was to use the presence of Sheppard to keep other potential suitors for Sheppard from thinking Philly would make a run at the former Patriot. It worked; Samuel was holding up a green jersey before the dinner bell rang on the first day of the annual shopping spree.

However, it was well known in league circles that the Eagles were targeting Samuel, and few believed denials regarding Sheppardís status. The Eagles should have worked out a deal with one of the other teams targeting Sheppard and pulled the trigger at the same time they signed Samuel.

6. The Rams should have taken Dorsey.

Once the Miami Dolphins reached terms on a contract with offensive tackle Jake Long at the top of the draft, the St. Louis Rams had a decision to make. And it was widely believed the coaching staff and scouting department had LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey ranked significantly higher than Virginia defensive end Chris Long.

But on the Thursday before the draft, the gap suddenly narrowed, and Long eventually ended up being the name on the card the Rams submitted.

The rumors/reports are that Rams team president John Shaw decided Long would be the pick, regardless of the supposed wishes of the coaches or the scouts. If thatís the case, itís a potential no-win situation for the Rams, especially with Dorsey landing in the same state, as a member of the Chiefs.

Unless Long clearly emerges as the better player, the decision not to draft Dorsey will constantly nag members of the organizationóand be a constant source of frustration for those who lobbied for the man who was rated as the better player.

7. The Falcons should have taken Dorsey.

So when the Dolphins and the Rams passed on the guy whom many teams had rated as the top player in the draft pool, the Falcons fumbled a prime opportunity to shore up a so-so defense.

And they can thank Michael Vick for it.

The Falcons believed they desperately needed a quarterback who would make the locals forget about Mr. Vick, and likewise fill the spot at the top of the depth chart that otherwise might have been unsettled if and when Vick is authorized to return to the NFL.

So Atlanta took a huge risk by selecting Matt Ryan. As history tells us, the odds of success when taking a quarterback that high are the equivalent of flipping a coin.

Everything might work out for the Falcons. But the chances of that happening would have been better if they had taken Dorsey at No. 3 and a quarterback in Round 2.

8. The Raiders should have spent less money.

The Oakland Raiders have been as aggressive as any franchise ever has been in trying to improve its team. The thinking is that owner Al Davis recognizes he doesnít have many football seasons left at the helm of the organization, and heís doing everything he can to get the team back to the Super Bowlóas soon as possible.

Still, by overpaying guys like Tommy Kelly (Who? Exactly.) and Javon Walker, the teamís sudden sense of urgency could cause real cap problems in the not-too-distant future. Itís already been reported that the draft-weekend trade of cornerback Fabian Washington triggered a cap hit that forced the release of running back Dominic Rhodes.

Rhodes could be the first of many recognizable names who will be run out of town as the team tries its best to fit all of its high-priced players under the annual spending limit per team. Although the process of cutting players who formed the nucleus of a bad team might not be a bad thing, itís better to rely on mediocre veterans than street free agents who are earning the rookie minimum.

9. The Steelers should have franchised Faneca.

Letís get this one straight: The contracts of Pittsburgh Steelers offensive linemen Alan Faneca and Max Starks expired after the 2007 season. The Steelers could have used the franchise tag (which provides two first-round draft picks as compensation if the player signs with a new team) or the transition tag (which costs less but carries with it no compensation) on one of them.

So they chose to use the transition tag on Starks. Once he signed his tender, Starks was guaranteed to receive nearly $7 million in salary for 2008. Not bad for a guy who was on the bench at the start of 2007.

For only $500,000 more, the Steelers could have kept Alan Faneca, a perennial Pro Bowl left guard, for one more year. Sure, Faneca didnít want to remain in Pittsburgh. But he didnít want to remain in Pittsburgh last year, either. He eventually removed the stick from his rear end and had another solid season.

For a one-year haul of $7.5 million, Faneca likely would have done the same thing in 2008.

Now the Steelers are without Faneca, they got no compensation when he signed with another AFC team (the Jets) and they are paying almost $7 million to a guy who doesnít deserve it.

10. Chad should have kept his mouth shut.

The mouth that roared for much of the offseason has fallen eerily silent since the Washington Redskins selected two wide receivers on the first day of the draft. So with the ĎSkins out of the Chad Johnson business and with the Cincinnati Bengals not budging on their refusal to trade him, Johnson presumably is hoping everyone will forget about everything he said from January through April regarding his desire to get out of Cincinnati.

Why else would Johnson no longer be whining for a trade? The reality is, he knows he has no leverage, and that his only option is to make good on a promise not to play again for the Bengals. And pay back $5 million in signing bonus money.

If Johnson had merely put a sock in the place where he hangs that golden grill on game days, he wouldnít be in a position to look so silly when he shows up for training camp and acts like he didnít act like a complete fool.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams make Top 10 worst offseason move list

Thanks for nothing Mike Florio. Whoever you are?

Another of the so-called experts I'm sure!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Mike Florio reiterates his irrelevancy yet again. Congrats, Mike.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I thought the one about the Cowboys and the one about Chad Johnson were spot on. Plus, the Steelers should have done that to Faneca.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    widely believed
    Again, that translates to "believed by Bernie" (who is quite wide).

Seriously, if Florio (who writes for PFT - pronounced "pfffftttt") still thinks that John Shaw dictated the Rams' choice, I've got some nice oceanfront property in Topeka I'd like to sell him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

The Rams one is a joke. So that means if Jake Long happens not to be as great, they made a mistake of not drafting Dorsey. What if Dorsey does something to his leg, injuring it for good, leaving him jobless in the NFL.

Trust me, I've had an injury that didn't heal all the way come back and bite me in the A#$. Even after the year and a half wait to get it to heal, it still got re-injured and left me on the bench for the remainder of the season. Though it seems to have healed, when I go jogging I can feel a slight pain come back. Dorsey may go through the same exact thing I did, and it WILL ruin his career.

I'm glad we passed on Dorsey. We needed a DE before another DT. Carriker is recovering well and Ryan is holding up for a fifth round pick. I'm happy about our DT situation, and now I'm happy about our DE situation with Long on the squad.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

That's great (sarcasm), coupled with the fact I just saw this video not one hour ago:

2008 Draft Losers: Rams

There is no doubt that Chris won't be a good player in the NFL, whether or not his work ethic and pedigree will allow him to be dominant remains to be seen however.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -05-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    There is no doubt that Chris won't be a good player in the NFL, whether or not his work ethic and pedigree will allow him to be dominant remains to be seen however.
    No doubt that he won't, huh? Hope you were just a bit confused when writing this...
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's nothing wrong in beliving that Dorsey would have been the better pick or that Avery shouldn't have been the first WR taken.

But to overlook the clear reasons behind the Rams' choices (i.e. they needed a DE more than a DT; they were looking for a speed WR with no character issues) and to thereby declare the Rams' draft a failure is pure arrogance.

Main reason why I posted this is because I find it extremely hilarious that anyone can say that a draft that just took place can either be good or bad. There is no way on Earth anyone can predict with any accuracy a draft is good or bad when they haven't even played one play yet.

However, it is somewhat true about the Bears don't you think? Good for Lovie. Will never forgive him for the Super Bowl fiasco against the Patriots.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

There is no doubt that Chris won't be a good player in the NFL
    There's no doubt he won't be a good player? Was that a typo?

whether or not his work ethic and pedigree will allow him to be dominant remains to be seen however.
    Well, yeah, obviously. It remains to be seen whether ANY prospect from this class will become dominant, because none of them have played a single down of football yet.

Yodude is offline Registered User

and to thereby declare the Rams' draft a failure is pure arrogance.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of ignorance.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Rambos is online now Registered User

I tried to guess before I read this trash... I came up with not paying ED!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

This guy is talking like he was in the Ram's draft room and saw the board just like other experts are. They clearly didn't so all this is conjecture based on bs

Milan is offline Registered User

We made the #6 worst move in not taking someone that hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet? And unless Long is a lot better, we messed up? Why does he have to be that much better than Dorsey for this to be a good move?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast