Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams make Top 10 worst offseason move list

And so what? To make the experts happy? Screw them. We do what we have to do to make this organization better, not to take the players who are luxury and un-needed. This kind of stuff is laughable but it infuriates me nonetheless.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    And so what? To make the experts happy? Screw them. We do what we have to do to make this organization better, not to take the players who are luxury and un-needed. This kind of stuff is laughable but it infuriates me nonetheless.
    Don't let it get to you, V6. It was Santayana who said "living well is the best revenge". Here's hoping our draft in '08 proves the "experts" wrong.

But I do have a theory about sportswriters, in general. In grammar school they were the last ones chosen, if at all. In high school they were the student managers for the teams. Their dweebiness and spastic reflexes kept them from ever becoming the athlete they longed to be and they learned to resent the gifted athletes. They went to college and developed their intellectual side while staying close to sports. They became sportswriters so they could stay around the games but cultivated chips on their shoulders. Now they use their position and pen to get even with all their real and perceived slights of the past by second guessing and bad mouthing every chance they get.

Too much psycho-babble? Sorry.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

So the complaint is based on a rumor?

I have to agree on the Raiders, though. Tommy Kelly gets the $50 million record contract for a defensive tackle? Over a third of it guaranteed. Gibril Wilson gets to be the third highest paid safety with a brand new $39 million contract. Then $70 million to DeAngelo Hall and $55 million to an injured Javon Walker. Why not slate a ***** castoff like Kwame Harris as the starting left tackle? Oh, wait, there are draft picks to sign? Oops. This is a good way to make sure your team stays cap-strapped for years to come.

BEER is offline Registered User

He might be right, but none of us will know till after there first year in
    the NFL...That being said, who has made a pro bowl in the last 5 years
    for the Rams... Holt, Jackson, and....................................

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I agree 100% with the writer. The Rams made two major mistakes with their first two picks IMO.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    He might be right, but none of us will know till after there first year in
    the NFL...That being said, who has made a pro bowl in the last 5 years
    for the Rams... Holt, Jackson, and....................................
    Assuming you mean only draftees, Little made it in 2003; Pace in 2004. Though Bulger was not a draftee but a FA pick-up the year after being drafted, I'd include him and he made it in 2003 and 2006.

But I assume you are really referring to the Rams poor recent draft history however. The recent history is not real good, but let's hope that's history and that this year's draft is the start of something good.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Over the past few months, I think Florio has became an idiot anyway (not judging by this story, but by past stuff). That PFT site is way too biased ( I think the contracts with Sprint and the NFL got to their heads).
    Last edited by Keenum; -05-16-2008 at 12:05 AM.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

If Ifs and Butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry frickin Christmas!

Blah, Blah, Blah....."Kurt Warner won't win!", "London Fletcher is too small!" and "what can Ricky Prohel do for this team"...blah, blah, blah!

Nothing really matters until that first whistle blows in the regular season....

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I hate to break it to you, Beer, but the pro bowl is a sham. It's a nice honor, but the pro bowl is really just a popularity contest. To get in you need to not only be popular, but you have to be on a winning team in general. Can you really say that Ken Hamlin was a better free safety that Atogwe last year, or that he got in because he is recognizable from the Seachickens and was on a #1 seed team in Dallas last year?

To get in the first time you generally have to do well during a season, but once you get in once or are on a super bowl team even, fans get to know your name and then you get the fan vote every year. As such, the pro bowl is a sham. Yes, our drafts have not been great the last few years(2007 and 8 look good to me), but Devaney looks good and I look forward to the future with him as the GM.

Back to the original article, there are probably five good points out of the ten and ours is not one of them. It's based on rumors and again, popularity. Dorsey was the best defensive player on the national championship team and so he got a lot of the national spotlight. As such, writers got to know his name. Chris Long on the other hand took on just as many double teams as Dorsey on a worse defense which allowed the offense to key in on him, and yet he still produced significantly more than Dorsey. Oh, and Long doesn't have an injury history, and didn't play all last year hopped up on pain killers, and again, we needed a defensive end more than a tackle, so Long made more sense there as well.

In any case, it'll all work itself out in time anyway, so we'll see who ends up being the better player and if we were right.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I just watched the video of us being draft day losers and i love how we made a bad decision since we werent supposed to draft for position or need but shouldve just drafted for value. If that was the case shouldnt we of gotten Mcfadden? I cant wait till the season begins and these analyst hide in the closets for their crap soaked articles of how bad teams drafted and when the players actually come out and suceed, and it seems they dont even consider whats best for the team anymore, they just feel teams should take the players they rank highest and above others. Screw them all.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

To clear it up, yes that was a typo and a very dumb one on my part.

And Nick, he was considered one of the 'safest' picks in the draft (when in fact there is no such thing) because he has such a great work ethic and his pedigree is phenomenal obviously. I was merely questioning whether that would translate into the dominance that the #2 pick should display on the field when the time comes.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -05-16-2008 at 03:05 AM.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Message deleted.
    Last edited by DistantRam; -05-16-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted in wrong thread.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

A lot of the points in his article are quite good, I completely disagree with him about the Long/Dorsey thing but some of the other points make sense.

The Bears screwed up (again) this year IMO, they're sinking. Their defense is getting worse and worse and their offense is as bad as it has been for years with no improvement in sight. Their #1 priority is a QB who is not a complete embarrasment but it doesn't seem like they know it (Lovie Smith? Hello anyone there?) - what anyone still thinks Rex Grossman is going to turn it around this year? I don't.

The Raiders are going for boom or bust with all those signings, I think they'll regret it big time. A lot is going to depend on how well Russell develops, if I were a Raiders fan I wouldn't like the odds there. McFadden will be productive though but I don't think it'll be enough to carry the team. In a couple of years they'll have a big cap space headache and not a lot to show for it.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Let me tell you a little bit about Mike Florio. He's the writer and editor (yea, I don't know how that works either) for profootballtalk. He's also a West Virginia home-office attorney to pay the bills. Before starting his website, he worked briefly for ESPN, but left due to the "editorial oversight" (his words, not mine). Being a lawyer, he had an interest in the legal troubles of athletes and started his website to monitor the waltzes between pro players and Johnny Law. That led to the more tabloid feel of the site that we all know, which culminated with Florio posting on his site the untimely death of Terry Bradshaw. Florio's popularity has been fed from the one trough that he nailed correctly.........the Vick dogfighting case. That is the one time his rumor-mongering was spot on. If not for that single item, he'd just be another rumor mill.

Now, if Florio uncovers reports of Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long operating a dogfighting ring together.........well, then of couse, I'm listening.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

6. The Rams should have taken Dorsey.

7. The Falcons should have taken Dorsey.
    I think MIKEY has a man crush on DORSEY!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast