RamWraith is offline Registered User

Are the Rams making a good move with Linehan?

As it stands right now I am thinkng the team might be making a solid move by retaining Linehan another year. Even though I am not so sure about it...but....

Rumor has it that Dungy is stepping down and moving towards the ministry, as well as Homlgren in Seattle. There is also vacancies in Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta, and Miami. Where do you think all these head coaches are going to come from?? Why would anyone of high regards choose St. Louis if Linehan would have got the axe? Linehan's hand is being forced right now...change, win or your will be shown the door. He will need to fix the problems to retain his job or possibly face not ever holding a high coaching position again. The pressure is on Linehan, and again there won't again be another huge turn over throughout the oval office.

Maybe this is a better move than we all think right now. I am not sure there are a whole lot of options that would even consider this team right now. We just might have had the last pick of a weak talent pool. as strange as it may seem, maybe counting our blessings is not such a bad thing...only time will tell.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -01-08-2008 at 09:47 PM.

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Rams making a good move with Linehan?

I think you hit the nail right on the head. When we fire Scott, there will be no one
    worth getting.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

hmmm...good point.

if we did fire linehan...then what? you show a good point.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's a valid point. The Niners didn't let go of Nolan for this very reason. Everyone talks about Cowher and Schottenheimer, but believe me Clan, neither of them would come here.

The bottom line of the whole situation is this: The Rams will most likely be changing owners within the next year. Why hire a different coach now when the new owner and GM will most likely want their own guy?

As bad as it all sounds, 2008 just might be a throw away season for the Rams as they make this transition, unless Linny can pull a rabbit out of the hat. If they can somehow bring in Cameron as OC and Houck as the O-Line coach, then I might be optimistic about next season. Otherwise, we'll just have to tread through this muddy transition and hope the Rams can acquire some real football people to start building for the future.

:l

-jake-

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Exactly correct.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Maybe this is a better move than we all think right now. I am not sure there are a whole lot of options that would even consider this team right now. We just might have had the last pick of a weak talent pool. as strange as it may seem, maybe counting our blessings is not such a bad thing...only time will tell. -- RamWraith

As bad as it all sounds, 2008 just might be a throw away season for the Rams as they make this transition, unless Linny can pull a rabbit out of the hat. If they can somehow bring in Cameron as OC and Houck as the O-Line coach, then I might be optimistic about next season. Otherwise, we'll just have to tread through this muddy transition and hope the Rams can acquire some real football people to start building for the future. -- EDM

Intriguing indeed! And I agree with these possibilities. :r

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Agreed, Wraithmeister.

Until the issue with Georgia's health and possible ownership change(s) has been resolved I don't see many HC's with a proven track record being terribly interested in a job with the Rams.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Point well taken, But I still wonder If the Rams may just be striving for another mediocre season at best, although I want the Division Championship in the worst way, A jumpy, fidgety coach, fearing for his job, scares me. I just hope we make the best choices During the Draft, and The Offensive line needs rebuilding, I think defensively we can build on what we have with exception to a few areas, I like Haslett as Defensive coordinator. Your Right about replacement deficiencies, who comes in, COWER? 10 years to another Superbowl...Yikes,

The Greatest Show on Turf, what an era, Mark Bulger can take us into a newer Era, and The Likes of Jackson, and Hopefully Bruce and Holt return....Mybe Ellard can suit up again.....

Spirited Eyes Look Hopeful to Spring Training Camp, and maybe a Phoenix can rise from These ashes....The Cleveland Rams Turned it around, and The Team moved to LA...St.Louis is the Right Place and The Rams can turn it around....

LETS ROCK in 2008.. :r

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    The bottom line of the whole situation is this: The Rams will most likely be changing owners within the next year. Why hire a different coach now when the new owner and GM will most likely want their own guy?

As bad as it all sounds, 2008 just might be a throw away season for the Rams as they make this transition, unless Linny can pull a rabbit out of the hat.
    Totally agree. This is the state of the Rams.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think we are making a big mistake. I don't care how many coaching opportunities there are out there, it shouldn't be part of the equation. Linehan hasn't shown he can turn a team around, and this is going to take some real skill in player evaluation to make it work next year. I just think we should cut the cord and go forward with something new.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Under this same philosophy then free agent football players should be looked at the same way.

Chillar, hasn't proven anything, cut the cord. We need an O-lineman or 2, Barron hasn't cut it let him go and hope something comes along. Or how about Bulger, poor year lots of questions, cut him loose he was more part of the problem than the solution. Jackson is a free agent next year and couldn't even break the 1,000 yard mark. Maybe we get McFadden just in case, lets not give Jackson the opportunity to strut his stuff.

Without viable options it makes no sense, especially after only 2 years. I am not saying that Linehan isn't the problem or wasn't a total snafu this season, but I can not say at this point and time that we have any better options and that the Rams front office is making a big mistake.

If we turn this operation over every 2 years, shoot from the hip and role the dice with every possible name that that is fired, retired or wasted away in hopes for some miracle Super Bowl, it just might be a long century.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think we are making a big mistake. I don't care how many coaching opportunities there are out there, it shouldn't be part of the equation. Linehan hasn't shown he can turn a team around, and this is going to take some real skill in player evaluation to make it work next year. I just think we should cut the cord and go forward with something new.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No, I didn't mean it in that way. Chillar is going to be let go anyway due to the Rams won't pay him what he's worth. Cutting Barron (assuming cap circumstances) wouldn't be all that bad of a deal IMO.

What I meant was this: I don't think Linehan can get the job done. I don't think he has shown the skills to turn this thing around. You may, that's your opinion.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Maybe this is a better move than we all think right now.
    Wraith, it all comes down to the mood of the lockerroom. If Linehan has lost the players (as has been suggested), then retaining him sends the players the message that their opinion is meaningless. Linehan = Rams.....you guys can love it or leave it. If this is the case, I think retaining him is a problem.

However, if the players see the 2007 season as one big waste due to reasons outside Linehan's control, and they still believe in their HC, then retaining him is a brilliant move. It shows stability, and the FO faith in a man who also has the faith of the players.

The big question is........Does Shaw know the difference?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-08-2008, 09:19 PM