Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Are the Ram's making plans to sign their new Head Coach this week? Published Report.

I listened to a 2 hour Radio Pre-game show for the Redskins-NYG today. Every Redskin official and coach interview praised Gregg Williams and two chided him on-air "Do you like St. Louis, Detroit, or New Orleans better Gregg ?" The announcer/broadcaster said that word around Redskin park is that Gregg Williams is gone and that he has his choice of at LEAST 3 teams HEad coaching jobs.. (I posted this earlier ).. Well, here's a PUBLISHED REPORT linking the possibility of Gregg Williams to the RAMS:

Williams a wanted man

Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will have his choice of where he wants to be head coach. In fact, at least five teams have already let it be known in how much regard they hold the hot assistant. Williams will have to make a decision this week between teams such as the Rams, Chiefs, Texans and perhaps even the Vikings.

This is a completely different Williams than the one who coached in Buffalo. In fact, last year after Niners head coach Mike Nolan was hired for his first head coaching job, Williams met privately with Nolan at the Senior Bowl and gave him a two-hour lesson on exactly where he messed up his tenure in Buffalo and how Nolan could avoid making the same mistakes.

Give Williams credit, as most head coaches who are canned come up with blame for everyone but themselves.

For those wondering what the best pieces of advice were for Nolan — wait to hire the assistants you'll be comfortable with. There's an awful lot of pressure from the owner to have a staff fast to make it look like they got the best. Williams told Nolan to withstand the pressure and get "his guys." Williams admittedly did the opposite.

Williams also said he changed who he was into what he thought the owner wanted him to be. He changed to impress the man who pays his checks even though he was hired because the owner liked what he initially saw.

Williams has now learned his lessons and is even able to voice it to others. He needs to have his own class at the Learning Annex, doesn't he?
    ENDQUOTE
    Source:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5195060

Okay, now we heard reports today that the RAMS are in a hurrying about bringing in Art Shell.. The Rams (all teams) are mandated to interview a minority candidiate. So, IF they are hot for Williams, they may be attempting to fuffill that obligation and get their man. In the rush to hire a hot commodity, they have to bag the interview (an NFL requirement) first, or draft picks will be lost and big fines will come down. Matt Millen hired Mariucci without bringing in a minority candidiate. Okay, it's a crazy policy, but it may explain Gregg Williams being linked to the Rams and Art Shell being brought in to Rams Park.

I know Gregg Williams is respected around the NFL.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -12-25-2005 at 12:18 AM.

STL Football Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Ram's making plans to sign their new Head Coach this week? Published Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Williams will have to make a decision this week between teams such as the Rams, Chiefs, Texans and perhaps even the Vikings.

The "Chiefs"...would he really end up there? Ya I know he is from that area but Vermeil will have to retire first, and then wouldn't Al Saunders(assuming he wants it) be in line for that job over anyone else? You got to think Vermeil may have some influence about his successor and I would guess he would want Saunders to get that position. Any thoughts on this.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Ram's making plans to sign their new Head Coach this week? Published Report.

Dickie V back here!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

stlfan,i read where vermeil wants saunders to replace him but the owner wants to look outside of the club for a replacement.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Ram's making plans to sign their new Head Coach this week? Published Rep

Yep, I read Vermeil has been lobbying for Sanders and he's not happy that the MGMT wants to bring in fresh blood.