throwback week

View Poll Results: Are the Rams making progress?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if its slow progress.

81 72.32%
  • No, its the same old Rams.

18 16.07%
  • Too soon to say.

13 11.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Are the Rams Making Progress?

Ultimately, that is the question.

Here's my point/counterpoint on the subject:

The Rams Are Making Progress
    The defense has made strides overall. Despite little help from the offense, the defense has forced five turnovers and made some timely drive-killing plays to keep both games close. The offensive performance is disappointing, but a lot of that can be attributed to a rookie QB, rookie LT and playcalling. When you compare the first two results to the Rams' early season peformances in 2009, there is certainly reason for hope.

Same Old Rams
    The Rams still don't know how to win games, and there are no "moral victories" in the NFL. The fact that the first two games were close is hardly a consolation. Arizona is not a great team, and the Raiders are near the bottom of the league. The lack of playmakers will keep the Rams from winning more than 2-3 games this year.

What side do you fall on?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Rams Making Progress?

Yes they are making progress. The defense is looking pretty solid and the offense is transitioning to a new QB. Players need to continue to show improvements (Smith and Saffold?) during the season but they are definitely progressing.

The Rams went from needing 9-10 starters last offseason. Next offseason I think we'll see they only need 4-5 to be competitive.

rampower is offline Registered User

Our biggest piece of progress is Sam Bradford, be will be good. Also Clayton was a great pickup, as was Gibson. Even with clayton our WR corps is thin, LB, CB all thin. No back up running back still. We lost little and never found an adequate replacement for Torry Holt.

This team is still long way off, this year is another painful one, if you ask me.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

rammiser is offline Registered User

I think we are making some progress. We will know how much progress this week because the Redskins are the first good team we will face this year. If they can hang with or even beat the Skins then we will know exactly how much progress is being made.

That being said some people around here arent very level headed. They think we should be winning every game with a rookie qb at the healm. Some people need to be a little more realistic this year. Be happy Bradford looks like hes going to be the real deal. Like I said last year when everyone was blasting Bulger was that a qb wasnt going to fix this team in one year. This team has a lot of holes still that need to be filled with talent. We have no depth either when guys get hurt. If your not a patient fan your rooting for the wrong team right now.
    Just Fix It

makersncoke is offline Registered User

When I turn on the tv what I see this year is far more entertaining than it was over the last couple of years so from that aspect of things they are making progress, BUT it's the two best teams that play in Feb and the Rams are just as far away from that as they were two years ago. So in the wins and losses collumn where it really counts, they are not making progress and if I were Spags I would be starting to get a little nervous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

yes we are making progress but fans expectations as always at the start of the season, were far too high,so due to the progress not being as quick as some folks believed possible or expected...a certain blindness of that progress has occurred in some instances.

our progress has been slowed due to (among other things) the fact that the off-season was not a normal one with the CBA issues and change in our controlling owner..but the latter in itself was the biggest progress we`ve made for the long term future..just this season has come too early for us to see too much on-field progress in the form of many wins.

if you look at starting a team from scratch (which in many ways is what we have had to do) the key positions you need filled with quality players,in a lot of those we now either have young studs or potentially young studs in those positions..players who fall under one of those two categories include Bradford,Laurinaitis,Long,Saffold,Smith,Jason Brown,Fletcher,Gilyard,Illinois Mike,Dahl,Murphy...it hasn`t all come together enough to get more wins yet..but i`m still sure that at the end of the season we will have a few more wins than we have had in any of our last 3 seasons.
    both our games so far we have thrown away by not putting them away when we have worked ourselves into having the oppurtunities to win,in recent seasons past we have not been having such oppurtunities to begin with.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-21-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I'm not a professional scout but the defense looks better to me. If we could get them some rest during the game I think we could see them perform well through all four quarters.

The o-line seems to show sparks of being better.

Bradford is an upgrade in the making.

I even think our receivers are slightly better this year than last... although it would have been nice to have a healthy Avery and to have still added Clayton.

Running back is the only place there hasn't been improvement. Jackson is a stud but we weren't able to give him any more help this last year.

The only way you can objectively believe we have made no progress is to judge us on wins and wins alone. I think that is very short sighted and like my great great grandfather used to say...

"A 100 mile journey is not measured by the destination but by the steps you took along the way."

- Zenbunctious

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Overall, I think they're making progress. But I'm concerned about the pace of that progress, and I say that as a guy who predicted only five wins this season.

This isn't a league that allows coaches and general managers a five-year rebuild to get teams back into contention; you've got to get a turnaround going in 2-3 years or else it's the next guy's turn. There's no question that Devaney and Spags took over a very bad team, and that rebuilding that team wasn't going to be easy. I think they've done some good things on paper, but at some point, it has to transfer to the win-loss column.

When you compare what the Falcons did to the Cardinals, what the Titans did to the Raiders, and what the Rams did (or didn't do) to either, it suggests there's still quite a ways to go in getting this team where it needs to be. rammiser is right in that how the Rams play against Washington could be a real test as to where this team is.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Overall, I think they're making progress. But I'm concerned about the pace of that progress, and I say that as a guy who predicted only five wins this season.

This isn't a league that allows coaches and general managers a five-year rebuild to get teams back into contention; you've got to get a turnaround going in 2-3 years or else it's the next guy's turn. There's no question that Devaney and Spags took over a very bad team, and that rebuilding that team wasn't going to be easy. I think they've done some good things on paper, but at some point, it has to transfer to the win-loss column.

When you compare what the Falcons did to the Cardinals, what the Titans did to the Raiders, and what the Rams did (or didn't do) to either, it suggests there's still quite a ways to go in getting this team where it needs to be. rammiser is right in that how the Rams play against Washington could be a real test as to where this team is.
    No doubt in regards to the final statement. I'm not saying we have to beat Washington, but anything short of either that win or nail-biter down to the finish would be bad ...

If we get blown out in this game, I think it's fair to say this team has accomplished nothing in terms of progress ....

RealRam is online now Registered User

Yes, Rams are making [slow, hopefully steady] progress. This is a team considered by a few pro football experts as akin to an expansion organization / team.

Again, we're in the process of suffering the growing pains of development and progress.

DPskywalker Guest

We are definitely making progress (look at how badly we were destroyed in weeks 1 & 2 the last three seasons), but we won't make major offensive progress until we can get a playmaker at WR.

It really kills us in SOOOO many ways. The opposing D saturates the first 8 yards with defenders because they know we are not a threat to stretch the field. This makes it harder on our OC, on SJax, and our defense becauuse they aren't getting enough rest/favorable field position.

It reminds me of Phil Jackson's philosophy of size on the court. You have all these players that are longer than average for their position, and now the working space that the opponent has on offense is significantly smaller and congested.

The only difference is that we're doing it to ourselves.

There's a WR available that can change that overnight.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I was reading somewhere someone said progress can only be measure through wins I think it was Spags. If we loose all our games by less than 7 and go 0-16 have we made progress? I would say no. so Iím saying no now until we see some wins itís the same rams.
    :ramlogo:

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Yes, Rams are making [slow, hopefully steady] progress. This is a team considered by a few pro football experts as akin to an expansion organization / team.

Again, we're in the process of suffering the growing pains of development and progress.
    Except expansion teams win more often than the Rams.

I think you can look at the team's "progress" in two fields. One form of progress is that of talent/personnel, which has seen some limited gains, albeit mostly in terms of swapping out an emotionally shattered quarterback for one who isn't (yet ) and replacing Avery with somebody who has a slightly better ability to hang on to the bloody football.

The other form of progress is that of learning and player development. In that field the Rams are unequivocally spinning the wheels. By and large the players (and coaches) are making the same mistakes and mental slipups they made all last season. I understand everybody is learning on the job in the front office and coaching staff, but typically learning results in a lessening of those mistakes. The Rams haven't displayed such a lessening.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    We are definitely making progress (look at how badly we were destroyed in weeks 1 & 2 the last three seasons)
    If you actually look at the first two games of the Rams' last three seasons (2007-2009), only two of the six have really been blowouts where the Rams got destroyed - 2008 Week One against the Eagles, and 2009 Week One against the Seahawks.

2007's Week One game against Carolina was 14-13 going into the third quarter, the Rams even led at halftime. 2007's Week Two game against the ***** was 17-16, again the Rams led at the half. In the 2008 Week Two game against the Giants, the Rams were only down by seven at one point in the fourth quarter, hardly a blowout or total destruction. And then last year's Week Two contest against the Redskins was a 9-7 loss - again, Rams had a halftime lead.

So if you look at the first two games in last three seasons, the Rams actually had halftime leads more than they were blown out. The unfortunate thing is that the Rams weren't able to play a full four quarters and close those games, which interestingly enough remains an issue for this team now even under a different regime.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Player-wise yes we are, the coaching staff (Pat Shurmur) looks like he's either making the progress even slower or taking steps backwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast