throwback week

Cool Rams' Martz calls Bears' hamstring epidemic just a 'bad run'

Rams' Martz calls Bears' hamstring epidemic just a 'bad run'

August 7, 2004

BY BRAD BIGGS STAFF REPORTER

MACOMB, Ill. -- Mike Martz angrily has defended his friend Lovie Smith for the outbreak of hamstring fever that has surrounded the training camp of the first-year Bears coach.

What has been missed is that no one has called Smith's practices too grueling. Instead, it has been questioned whether the major weight loss emphasis, combined with the increased running, has led to some of the problems.

''For crying out loud,'' Martz railed. ''That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I guess all these people who write that must be medical doctors. You think? You've got to be kidding me. I mean, this is just a bad run. Maybe they're not used to practicing that hard. Who knows? I know we've been through it. We've had six, seven, eight guys [sidelined with pulled hamstrings].''

Running back Adrian Peterson sat out of both practices Friday as his hamstring tightened up. According to Smith, wide receiver Justin Gage and reserve safety Bobby Gray will be back from their hamstring injuries this week and should be ready for the exhibition opener Thursday in St. Louis.

FILLING IN: With Peterson and Anthony Thomas (ribs) out and Dwone Hicks gone from the team, fullback Jason McKie has stepped in and worked as a halfback. What is most interesting is that he was chosen over Rabih Abdullah, who had a failed experiment as a third-down back last season.

''I'm just helping out right now,'' he said. ''But I'll do whatever they need me to be.''

McKie never has been a true halfback, having been the fullback in a Wing-T offense at Gulf Breeze (Fla.) High. He did carry the ball in short-yardage situations at Temple. Even more telling, however, is that he has been used on special teams as the off-side returner. The 5-11, 240-pounder has good speed but isn't elusive by any means.

''The way our returns are designed, we're straight ahead,'' special-teams coach Dave Toub said. ''We want to catch the ball and get up the field right away. That kind of fits his running style.''

Toub said rookie Bernard Berrian has a ''good shot'' at replacing Jerry Azumah as the main kick returner. Ahmad Merritt and Nate Vasher are also in the mix.

BAD OMEN: If the afternoon practice Friday was a sign of things to come, the Bears' offense is going to have a real struggle with the Rams' defense in the scrimmage this morning. Neither the first nor second team could pick up a first down in the two-minute drill, with offensive coordinator Terry Shea calling a run on first down both times. The Rams seemed to make twice as many big plays as the Bears.

NO WRONG: Smith did not think anything was wrong with allowing Azumah to practice in non-contact drills Tuesday before the definitive word from his second medical opinion came back and it was learned he would need surgery.

''I guess [the injury] has been there for a while,'' Smith said. ''Yes, we let him go out there. We thought maybe there was still a chance [he was injured], so we just let him do a little bit of non-contact work and he looked very good when he did it. We found out otherwise and went to the next stage.''

EXTRA POINTS: The morning practice ended on a Thomas Jones touchdown run in a goal-line drill and was followed by a small flare-up between the teams. Bryan Johnson ended up ripping off the helmet of Rams linebacker Tommy Polley, but order was quickly restored. ... Other highlights included a crushing double-team block by center Olin Kreutz and right guard Terrence Metcalf on linebacker Trev Faulk. ... The Bears broke out a hook-and-lateral play, with wide receiver Bobby Wade pitching the ball to trailing running back Brock Forsey. One would think they would choose a faster man for the lateral. ... The ranks at cornerback continued to thin out as Brock Williams went down with a sprained left ankle.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Martz calls Bears' hamstring epidemic just a 'bad run'

Frankly, this just further illustrates why I mock sMartz after he opens his smart mouth. It "bears" repeating ... first sMartz said it was "silly" to talk about hamstrings as it has been and I submitted:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Uh, "silly?" Clearly an injury isn't silly. And to prevent reoccurences, I would think that an investigation into whether there is a correlation between weight loss and hamstring injuries might me a worthwhile endeavor. But, I'm not in football ... so silly it must be.

Now sMartz rails about the issue even more vehemently to the point of saying:

Quote Originally Posted by sMartz
    ''For crying out loud,'' Martz railed. ''That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I guess all these people who write that must be medical doctors. You think? You've got to be kidding me. I mean, this is just a bad run. Maybe they're not used to practicing that hard. Who knows? I know we've been through it. We've had six, seven, eight guys [sidelined with pulled hamstrings].''

The people writing didn't state there WAS a link but only raised the question which is the fair turf of a journalist. But to denigrate their questions sMartz suggests sarcastically that without a medical degree they have no business talking about the subject. The fact that sMartz isn't a medical doctor didn't stop sMartz from volunteering his opinion though. Typical hypocrite. Typically sMartzian contradiction.

To compound his own dumbness in the matter he points out that in the past the Rams have had hamstring injuries. (see the other thread where sMartz was commenting about various things). Uh well sMartz, the reporter asked: why is there no correlation between hamstring injuries and weight loss since the common demoniator in some of those injuries occuring on the Rams and the Bears is the coach who emphasized weight loss ... wouldn't it be a fair question for a real medical researcher to inquire into???

Reborn Guest

Re: Rams' Martz calls Bears' hamstring epidemic just a 'bad run'

Said so well Adarian

Reborn