Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ramsí Martz knew Bulger would be special

But to just sweep his mistake under the rug and say it wasn't a factor in the loss is not looking at the situation very clearly.
    For the record Tx, I acknowledged Warner's mistake and never stated it wasn't a factor. The point was, he made the mistake, GOT OVER IT, pulled himself together and took care of business, just as you expected.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Did it ever cross the mind of those who can't get over Warner's departure that those of us who have been labeled "Bulgerites" are, in fact, aware of his faults and his mistakes, do not seek to gloss over them, but nonetheless think he is the best man available for the job of the Rams' QB?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Ramsí Martz knew Bulger would be special

Here you go tx, sorry, I should have left a link, but I have watched the darn thing so many times, that I just assume everyone remembers. I still think it was a dumb play call by Martz. They were movong the ball on the ground with the lead. Why doesn't he keep feeding the rock to Faulk until the pats stop him? That out route is a poorly designed pass play to begin with, I never liked it. The pats read that thing like a first grade school book. They were all over it and Martz ends up with egg on his face, in that situation, just as much as Warner and tucker.

I agree that everything factors in. I think I indicated that when I said it was a team game and the team takes the win or loss.

I don't agree that one player can win or lose a game relative to the last play of the game. I think that takes everything away from what the team does or does not accomplish, up to that point. Saying hussle-a-buck lost that playoff game to the pack, is like saying vinatieri won SB36. Yeah right, the freaking kicker won SB36, to hell with the rest of the pats players (sarcasm intended).

http://scores.nfl.com/scores/2001/ga...ebook_0203.htm

St. Louis Rams at 10:08
    1-10-SL 19 (10:08) 28-M.Faulk left tackle to SL 24 for 5 yards (51-B.Cox).
    2-5-SL 24 (9:30) 28-M.Faulk right end ran ob at SL 39 for 15 yards (34-T.Jones). R7
    1-10-SL 39 (8:58) 13-K.Warner pass intended for 80-I.Bruce INTERCEPTED by 24-T.Law at SL 47. 24-T.Law for 47 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not saying that Warner's INT was the sole reason we lost the game either. It's just one of many. Sure you can say he came back, so did Wilkins. So did Proehl. The defense held up for the majority of the game. However, one mistake can lead to four.....or six in this instance.

Oh well, spilt milk. Thanks for the update on the game though.

Did it ever cross the mind of those who can't get over Warner's departure that those of us who have been labeled "Bulgerites" are, in fact, aware of his faults and his mistakes, do not seek to gloss over them, but nonetheless think he is the best man available for the job of the Rams' QB?
    I assume all the figures, ratios, percentages and ratings originally cited in this thread are in no way an attempt to gloss over any faults or mistakes.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You assume correctly.

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Just celebrating the fact that this thread seems to be dead. And to bring it back to the top of the list.:redface:
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. Head
    Just celebrating the fact that this thread seems to be dead. And to bring it back to the top of the list.:redface:
    :O Son-of-a-motherless-goat, not this thread again! For all that is right with the world, please not again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As much as I hate to use the defibrilator on this thread and bring 'er back to life, I stumbled across something that related to the original article and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

Since it was a slow post day here at ClanRam, I put on my Kevlar and ventured over to the PD message board to see what was stirring in their pot. After sifting through a couple pages of worthless stuff, I found a post by Rubber Soul that had a link to a PDF scouting report from 2000 on Marc Bulger by GMJR.com -- the website for a corresponding draft guide -- that emphasized a number of points that have been debated, both positives and negatives.

The link is here (http://www.gmjr.com/pdf/Marc%20Bulger.pdf), and it lists a number of strengths and weaknesses, but there's one thing in particular this scout said that I wanted to post...

"His playing style and mannerisms remind me a lot of Joe Montana (I know that is a heady comparison but the styles are very similar) and he has the quick release of a Marino (not as fast but very compact and quick)."
    Judge for yourself, I suppose. But it just goes to show that Mike Martz isn't the first to make these comparisons, whether they're right or wrong, and some of Russ Lande's testimonials sound fairly impressive.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Man, I had to do a double take when I saw this thread back at the top of the heap. Nick, that scouting report was interesting, but you may want to keep your kevlar on my friend. LOL

moklerman is offline Registered User

I saw the same type of thread on the Clan board. The authenticity of the report was questioned and I haven't seen a link to the site where it originated, just an acrobat file.

I couldn't get the link you posted to load Nick, is that the actual site that it's from or the PD board?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's the link that works for me.

http://www.gmjr.com

This is a website for GM Jr's Guide to the NFL Draft. How well you value the scouting reports done by those who do this guide is up to you. They only have a handful available to view for free, namely Bulger's and Brady's.

I've never heard of it before, but as someone who used to visit the PD Board regularly, I trust the person who posted the thread there (Rubber Soul) as someone who posts valid resourceful information. During the early offseason he was possibly the best source of draft information I've ever seen. If he views this report as being worthy for consideration, I do as well. He's one of the few people I've encountered on the PD site who is a person of reason there to talk football.

So, take from it what you will. It seems to confirm the concerns of some about Bulger's long ball and also seems to alude to strengths that have been inconsistent in his game that he needs to bring back to the forefront (specifically the section about going to his 3rd or 4th option). Overall though I thought it was a fairly accurate report. The fact that he rated Bulger ahead of Brady doesn't surprise me -- CNNSI did the same thing in 2000.

Oh well, just thought I'd share a bit of info about the original article in question now that I've read something that shows Martz wasn't the first person to make some of these comparisons. Judging from the quotes of support on this group's website, if they're accurate, it sounds like he has a fairly good idea of what he's talking about, too. But again, I suppose that's for the reader to decide.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011