Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Ramsí Martz knew Bulger would be special

Does it REALLY matter what Martz says? What is he supposed to say?

"St. Clair Sucks. We should get rid of him." Is that good for a coach to say also?

I don't normally pay attention to what a coach says, especially before training camp and pre-season.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If I were rolling my eyes any more right now I'd be looking out the back of my head.
    Why do you even reply to any of my posts then? You never have anything to add other than lame attempts at humor or nit-picking semantics. Then when I try and explain myself to you, out of courtesy, you just try and flame me again. Try and stay focused on what the discussion is about or stay out of it all together.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

LOL. That was quick, Ferter.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Why do you even reply to any of my posts then? You never have anything to add other than lame attempts at humor or nit-picking semantics. Then when I try and explain myself to you, out of courtesy, you just try and flame me again. Try and stay focused on what the discussion is about or stay out of it all together.
    I thought I was adding nit-picking humor and lame attempts at semantics. Go figure.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Does it REALLY matter what Martz says? What is he supposed to say?

"St. Clair Sucks. We should get rid of him." Is that good for a coach to say also?

I don't normally pay attention to what a coach says, especially before training camp and pre-season.
    I think it's important what he says if it's full of bologna. Just think of how Parcells, Reid, Bellichik, Sherman, etc. handle things. Then compare that with Martz. He just comes off as a guy who likes to hear the sound of his own voice. If he doesn't have anything real to say he could choose a lot better option than fluffing up a player.

"Coach Martz, what do you think about Marc Bulger now that he's "the guy"?"-choice 1: Marc has showed signs of great potential and I'm excited to see what he will accomplish. Choice 2: He's better than talented and in ways reminds me of Joe Montana and Dan Marino.

There is a time and place for "coach speak" and Martz should learn when that time is. His fantasy land rendition of things is wearing thin.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Ramsí Martz knew Bulger would be special

Quote Originally Posted by mokler
    Basically, when he starts weaving these tales of how great a player is doing/looking, and then the player struggles it just makes Martz look like a moron. I don't particularly like thinking of the head coach as a moron so I would like him to shut up.
    I agree.

I wish he would just shut his pie hole as well. I don't mind a little optimistic talk, but Martz is extremely over the top. So yes, it matters to me. Martz, please take Turley's advice and shut up already.

Maybe we could get Avenger to gag Martz with "Socky" the sock puppet?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well since the question was asked....Taken from the site FAQs:

What Are Moderators?

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Mike Martz needs a press secretary to field his questions, no doubt about it.
    It's a good thing he gets paid to coach, not to talk, although I'm sure there are a few who would question that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think Martz is one of the few actual coaches in the league. Most are just pretty PR guys that do very little coaching. I think your right Mike, maybe we just need a press secretary :-)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Man, Parcells can't figure out which side of his mouth to talk out of during training camp. Should have heard him last year, praising Hutchison. I hear it everyday in Austin, he's the best at coach speak.

I could again care less what they say, just have the players ready by gameday is all I really care about.

That and the fact today is Anna K.'s birthday.......

Down here in So. Fla., Dave Wannestadt is talking up A.J. Feely AND Jay Fiedler.

That's what coaches do... even if "Socky" (that's my sock puppet) just won't accept it.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -06-07-2004 at 04:40 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It is indeed what all coaches do, unfortunately our coach comes off like a buffoon while doing it. If Bulger felt the heat from Warners shadow, wait until Martz gets done with him. He'll need to be the second coming of Joe Montana to live up to all the Martz hype. No pressure though.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I think part of it comes down to integrity. It's another "shoot we'll fix that" type of comment.....If you always praise players, how will they ever get better? They will think they are doing a good job based on your comments and get complacent...and believe me, MB needs to hear the truth, which from what I read is: At this point in pre-season Chris Chandler appears to be the better QB, but is 500 years old.

C'mon..."special"? the article even says "storybook"? How the hell is MB storybook? Gee, he went from College QB to NFL starter in just 3 years. Big deal.

I got an idea Martz, why don't you sugarcoat it a bit. That'll fix it.

Blacktrout Guest

Look at Avenger running his mouth again. Why don't you try reading what Mokle has to say and debate it logically. Instead of looking at it as another opportunity to speak without actually saying anything.

You want to be entitled to your opinion but you rip him for having his own.

Trout
    Last edited by RamWraith; -06-07-2004 at 10:25 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not when the ability to read a defense has proven to be a problem. There are very few guys who can consistantly throw into double coverage and complete a pass. Favre can get away with it sometimes but he has an arm that's on a totally different level than Bulger's. Bulger is a qb that will need to learn to throw to the correct receiver if he's to be successful. That's the point I was trying to address. Just because you make the wrong read doesn't mean you won't complete the pass sometimes. It does increase the chances of an interception/incompletion though.
    I agree that he needs to work on his reads and not lock on to receivers, but I don't think anyone is advocating that Marc should consistently throw into double coverage. My point is that he's capable of doing it and succeeding because of his own skills. The way you phrase it, you make it sound like it's dumb luck.

I use the qb rating as a guide to a qb's performance. It takes into account a wide range of statistics and averages them into something that measures a qb's overall (passing) performance. Attempts, passing yards and YPA are all part of that equation but can't be taken out of context to "fluff" a guys stats. Out of the three categories that you mentioned I would only take the YPA as any kind of isolated stat to measure a qb's performance. However, being clogged up in the pack of other qb's doesn't really distinguish Bulger to me in this particular area.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, because I don't have much faith in the QB rating. I think breaking down each individual stat as well as other possible circumstances that could have had an effect on QB performance is better and more informative than looking at one number made up by a formula that (I feel) weighs some stats as being more important than others.

I have to disagree with you here. Just because a guys physically able to play qb has nothing to do with his leadership abilities. Look at Ryan Leaf. He was able to start games in the NFL. Does that mean he had any leadership abilities?
    I think it's hard to play the position of quarterback and not have any qualities of leadership. But while Leaf started games, he performed horribly. Bulger has started, and has performed pretty well. He boasts an 18-4 regular season winning percentage, is in the upper ranks for his position in certain passing accomplishments without ever coming into a season as a starter, and has had a Pro Bowl appearance, not to mention having the support of a team based on his own merit, a team which chose him over a former Super Bowl MVP and two time NFL MVP. You're seriously telling me you don't think Marc has leadership abilities?

And there it is, the famous mantra adopted by so many Rams fans. "He" was losing games. Even Martz has adopted this viewpoint. That's the saddest thing about the whole Warner situation to me, that he was made into a scapegoat for the team's struggles. By the fans and the HC alike.
    You asked how Kurt could be run out of town for committing turnovers while Bulger is cheered while leading the league in interceptions, and I gave you four strong (IMO) reasons. You addressed only one of them in your response, and while I didn't mean to make it sound as if Kurt was to blame for every Rams loss he played in, clearly you can't ignore his being winless since 2001. Clearly you can't ignore his injuries and the reports from Bernie suggesting that the nerves of his hand aren't healthy, thus making his efficiency as a passer inconsistent. Nor can you ignore the other factors I mentioned that contributed to his release. Clearly, there's no double standard because the Rams didn't release Warner because of his turnovers only as the passage I quoted seemed to suggest.

I addressed this in my earlier post. I clearly stated that Martz's choice of reference is clearly supposed to be a leading statement in some way. Did Martz ever coach Montana? Why would he choose to link Bulger to one of the greatest qb's of all time? There are thousands of guys who have played football and I'm sure at least a couple of them had strong character while being humble, yet Martz chose to use Joe Montana, winner of 4 Super Bowls, synonymous with champion to illustrate Marc Bulger's character? I don't think that was by accident.
    Joe Montana is a recognizable quarterback. Yes, there are thousands of guys who have played football, and I'm sure a lot have been pretty humble with similar personality traits to Bulger, but how many casual fans are going to understand a comparison to Wade Wilson? Martz named a recognizable name so that the comparison of personality would get across to the audience. I don't think Martz's choice was by accident either, but I think you're reading way too much into what he had to say.

If someone asked my opinion on their new computer's performance and I thought it was good, my comparison would say, "It performs like a Dell" rather than saying it performs like some lesser known computer than people might not know much about. And who knows, perhaps Montana was the first name that came to Martz's mind, again supporting that the comparison is based on a well-known person.

Which is why I went off on this ridiculous article in the first place. To me, the whole thing makes Martz look like he's shoveling s**t. Just shut up about how great Bulger is and let him prove it on the field. It seems very hypocritical to me to praise and bring attention to a guy by saying how humble and how much he doesn't want attention. If Martz knows that about Bulger, why is he bringing all of this attention and spotlight in his direction?
    Were you saying this same stuff in the summer of 2003 when Martz was praising Warner, saying he's looked the best he ever has? I'm legitimately curious.

Whenever you get a chance, I'd like to hear a response to this...

You: I guess that doesn't apply to certain other qb's that used to be on the roster. Couldn't it just as easily have been said: "don't look at 2002, go back and look at 2001. He was dealing with an injury in 2002"?

Me: Isn't that exactly what the Rams did with Kurt after 2002 when they gave him a $6 million option roster bonus and named him as their starter in Feb? I think so, so I guess I'm not seeing how this is a double standard.
    It was part of your response to me that was left out, and I suppose I'm still no closer toward seeing the double standard you said exists.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!