Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Ramsí Martz knew Bulger would be special

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The sad thing is that the only thing that wil stop all this is if Warner starts for the Giants, flops and is benched. Then the Warnerites will have to let it rest (either that or they'll just blame the Giants' offensive line).
    That's funny, that's the same thing i was thinking watching KW's first game this year!...The Offensive line is who i thought should carry most of the blame! that is the Rams O-Line not the Giants! riental:

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    respect your opinion totally Molker, just don't like the name calling. We all know your love for Kurt and dislike for Martz. There are days I feel the same as you ;-)

WHOAH!!!!!!!!! Wait a minute! you can put me on that same list as mokler! i'm with you 100% mok.......me too1 Ramwraith only not some ,the correct count we be about 362 days a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

lol.....no.....lmao.........good one! Ferter!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Mike Martz needs a press secretary to field his questions, no doubt about it.
    It's a good thing he gets paid to coach, not to talk, although I'm sure there are a few who would question that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is indeed what all coaches do, unfortunately our coach comes off like a buffoon while doing it. If Bulger felt the heat from Warners shadow, wait until Martz gets done with him. He'll need to be the second coming of Joe Montana to live up to all the Martz hype. No pressure though.

The sad thing is , Marc has to play under MM's B.S. now! Ifeel for him! Just wait until he pulls the plug on M.B. He will too! watch and see!..............He might not now that i think of it! He's just covering his arse will all this B.S.!
    and by yanking MB it would definetaly reflect back on MM if he did! MB your probably safe now!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Trout, check your Private Messages.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    riental:
    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of when I saw this smiley in this thread is Bill Parcells?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

When you hunt and peck individual games Bulger's streak doesn't look too bad, but if you take his last 10 games (regular season and playoffs) his qb rating (which I agree isn't all inclusive, it's the closest thing to a guage that we have) is 70.2. Well below the league average. Even Warner's last ten games weren't that low and he's "washed up".

And although I may be overreacting, which I don't think is the case when a head coach compares his average qb to a couple of legends, I think the point is being missed. The problem here is that Martz is full of it. Granted, his comments about Bulger put me over the top, but the argument stands on it's own without any comparisons to Warner. You can't compare Warner and Bulger statistically unless it's in a vacuum.

I also don't see how Bulger and Warner were treated can be considered equal last year. I don't think it's realistic to think that if Warner had been given the choice of sitting on the bench all year and receiving his bonus or being cut and getting to play elsewhere that Warner would've just taken the money. It's possible but I really don't think it's realistic based on everything he's done in the past. Putting him on the bench was the cruelist thing that could have been done to him, even though some think that he was laughing all the way to the bank.

When did Martz ever come out and say something...anything like: "Kurt has some things that he needs to work on and I want to help him get back to the high level of play that I know he's capable of"? I definitely feel that Kurt was given up on and left to rot.

Let's put this in perspective. If Dennis Green comes out and says that Marcel Shipp has the heart of Walter Payton and the cutting ability of Barry Sanders, what would everyone think? They would either say he's crazy or full of crapola. Well, that's the point. That's the perception of Martz by people who aren't Rams fans. Whether his lunacy is by design or just a by-product of his personality I'm embarrassed by what he says most of the time. Have we all forgotten "yibbit, yibbit, yibbit!" already?

Well, when you're incapable of successfully helping your team achieve a win, clearly that's a big factor of whether or not you're going to keep your roster spot and make $9+ million.
    I'm pretty sure this is just poor wording on your part but even Kurt's lowest of lows (2003 Giants game) wasn't any uglier than Bulger's 4 interception game against the Cardinals or the ugliest game ever played against the Ravens. Bulger has perfomed just as poorly or worse for as long as, or longer than Warner in less meaningful games, yet he's GIVEN the team captain position and a multi-year contract. Warner was benched and released.

Then, it was a situation of Martz praising his quarterback, and now it's a situation of Martz praising his quarterback.
    I don't see how Martz, in 2003, saying Warner is 100% healthy, after coming off of an injury and looks as good as he ever has is anywhere near the same as praising Marc Bulger as more than talented and in ways resembling Dan Marino and Joe Montana. As far as being excited about news about Warner being healthy and looking like his old self, what Rams fan wouldn't want that? Not until the whole debacle with Warner and Bulger did I take the time to review some of the things Martz had said, and henceforth start to notice that most of what he says is just a bunch of hot air. This isn't a Martz only thing by the way, I think that Kurt should make every effort to keep his interaction with the media to a minimum. What Kurt usually says though is a matter of stepping on toes by being too honest. What Martz usually says is just overblown sensationalism.

I mean honestly, does anyone think of Joe Montana when the see Bulger on the field? It's an unfounded, ridiculous statement. It wouldn't matter if I was best buddies with Martz, I would still say the same thing. My feelings toward him have nothing to do with the foolishness of the statement.

Please note: this is a final straw reaction for me. It isn't this one statement that I'm all over Martz about, it's the continuous stream of exaggerations/falsehoods that I want him to stop. The fact that quite of few of these are about Bulger doesn't help the situation to me. Bulger has been built up way too much by Martz for the return so far. At least when he was doing the sales pitch about Warner and Faulk they had MVP seasons under their belt to kind of back it up.

Oh, and someone mentioned the fact that I use Bulger's league leading interceptions as a telling statistic about him to be overrated. Well, when you bring up Favre having a similar amount of interceptions you have to also consider that he led the league in TD's. I think that's somewhat important when mentioning him. As far as Brad Johnson having only one fewer interception than Bulger, I think circumstance is an important factor with him. Tampa isn't exactly known for their scoring prowess and on top of that Johnson is constantly on the hot seat with Gruden for his turnovers whereas Bulger is beyond talented for his.

Marc Bulger, the 10 games ending 2003: 70.2 qb rating.
    Tony Banks, the 10 games ending 1998: 70.6 qb rating.

Remember, with the Rams it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Man, is there another position on this team besides the QB? If the QB is the only position we watch, I quit.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not going to repeat all the accomplishments I named earlier, but I will repeat that we're talking about a guy who came in as a third string QB and not only succeeded, but won the team away from a former two time MVP and Super Bowl champ.
    This statement is debatable. Maybe you should have said "we're talking about a guy who was handed the team from a former two time MVP and Super Bowl champ who never got a chance to compete or prove his abilities after being pulled because of injury".

sbramfan is offline Registered User

It appeared to me that when Warner was struggling, the entire team looked like crap. When Bulger was struggling, I remember thinking "why can't our QB get the ball to the open man?" and "gee, our defense is keeping us in this game" and also "Man, I'm glad we have Jeff Wilkens".

And we squeeked some wins out of some of those. So know he's the man.

This statement is debatable. Maybe you should have said "we're talking about a guy who was handed the team from a former two time MVP and Super Bowl champ who never got a chance to compete or prove his abilities after being pulled because of injury".
    How is this debatable? We've heard numerous reports about how Kurt lost team support and Bulger gained it. That constitutes winning the team, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    When you hunt and peck individual games Bulger's streak doesn't look too bad, but if you take his last 10 games (regular season and playoffs) his qb rating (which I agree isn't all inclusive, it's the closest thing to a guage that we have) is 70.2. Well below the league average. Even Warner's last ten games weren't that low and he's "washed up".
    That's not what you said at all, Mok!!

Your statement was, "I think after 10 subpar performances by Bulger, in a row, in the same season, it shouldn't be too hard to see."

Clearly there is no stretch of ten subpar Marc Bulger performances in a row as you said there were!! Now you're trying to convince us that we're supposed to be looking at his QB rating over that period of time!? For you to say Marc had 10 subpar performances in a row, he'd actually have to have ten performances in a row that were each subpar -- something Avenger showed us is not even close to true! Now you're completely changing your story! What was ths standard you held Martz to? "If you don't have the balls to stand behind a statement, then don't make the statement." Seems like you're not standing by your "10 subpar performance" statement very well at all. Now there's a real double standard!

By the way, according to my calculations based on ESPN.com and SuperBowl.com, in Warner's last ten performances -- the first of which dates back to the Super Bowl against the Pats -- his QB rating is 65.74. Worse than Bulger's last ten performances, again contrary to what you said. Here, I'll even break it down as Avenger did.

The following represent the last ten games Warner has performed in, thus constituting a performance, and his QB rating for each game:

1) Super Bowl vs Pats: 78.3
    2) 2002 Wk1 vs Broncos: 88.5
    3) 2002 Wk2 vs Giants: 73.2
    4) 2002 Wk3 vs Bucs: 48.5
    5) 2002 Wk4 vs Cowboys: 39.6
    6) 2002 Wk11 vs Bears: 70.8
    7) 2002 Wk12 vs Redskins: 90.6
    8) 2002 Wk13 vs Eagles: 43.6
    9) 2003 Wk1 vs Giants: 79.4
    10) 2003 Wk17 vs Lions: 44.9

Average for those last ten performances: 65.74

So that said, are there any other misconceptions you'd like to bring up, Mok? I mean, after all, while you admitted to being bitter, the points you're making aren't invalid, right?

Forget it, I'm done with this witchhunt. Marc Bulger was right: there are some Warner fans that are never going to like him no matter what he does. It's really pretty sad, in my opinion.

Pretty hard to do much of anything, let alone win the confidence of your teammates sitting on the bench away from the dynamics of a team.

Forget it, I'm done with this witchhunt. Marc Bulger was right: there are some Warner fans that are never going to like him no matter what he does. It's really pretty sad, in my opinion.
    Your opinion is pretty presumptuous wouldn't you say? Have you heard a lot of Warner fans say they will not like Bulger no matter what? Is it forbidden to question subjective statements? Isn't that was this is all about, discussion?

I'm a huge Warner fan that has certainly not closed the door on Bulger. I think he has great potential but that does not mean I'll give him or any other player a free pass. If there is a question or concern, I'll most definitely address it. I've made numerous posts in the past in praise of Bulger and gotten slammed for it too, but that's OK because I respect everyone's opinion, in areement with mine or not.