Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Rams matchup well with conservative Falcons

The Atlanta Falcons are 7-2. They are a good football team. They are well-coached and disciplined, and poised to make a run into the playoffs in 2010.

What the Falcons lack are the so-called "impressive" wins. When we talk about "impressive" wins, we speak of games won by 10 points or more. Sure, they destoryed the Arizona Cardinals, but other than that game, the Falcons have found themselves in a nail-biter in most instances.

Why are the Falcons struggling to pull away from opponents? Simply put, they are ultra-conservative. Overall, this team could be more conservative than, gulp, our very own St. Louis Rams.

Looking at the Falcons on offense, you won't find much trickery or smoke and mirrors. They run base sets and formations, and operate a classic ball control system. They don't throw deep, only 19 passes attempted over 20 yards this season. Matt Ryan's YPA is ap edestrian 6.7. They run the ball, and run it alot, but the majority of these carries are going to be straight down the throat of the D-Line. Once you get a heavy dose of Michael Turner, you then get a healthy second serving of Jason Snelling, and the drop off is not as big as you'd think.

But this team is scoring points and lots of them. How do they do it?

It's simple:

1. They don't turn the ball over
    2. They don't waver from the system
    3. They have arguably the best WR in the league
    4. They will wear you down until you want to quit

Ryan is going to throw to Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez, and they are going to see most of the targets. More than 50% of Ryan's completions are to these two. White is nearly indefensible. The only thing that can likely stop White is his hands. The Ravens had some success by throwing exotic schemes at him. I am sure Spags and company will have something special drawn up for White. Take him out of the game and the Falcons do not have the receivers to beat many teams. It's a two man show in Atlanta, and they need both of them to come up big when playing on the road.

Defensively, the strategy doesn't differ much. The Falcons give up a high rate of completions in the passing game, and they give up alot of yards. They give up 46.4% 3rd down conversions, next to last in the league. The run defense is stingy, but most know you need to beat the Falcons by passing underneath them. So how do the Falcons keep the scoring down?:

1. They bend but don't break
    2. They dominate TOP offensively
    3. They intercept alot of passes

For any quarterback, the most attempts they have, the more likely they are going to make a mistake.

The Rams match up well here. Jackson should be able to manufacture yards up the middle. Bradford should be able to find open lanes, but he may need to throw 50+ times to win this game. The Falcons have a decent pass rush, but nothing spectacular. Ryan handles pressure well, and Spags and company will have to come up with some exotic blitzing schemes to rattle him. Pressure from the front four will be as crucial as ever.

Two keys to this game:

1. Rams must find some way to contain White
    2. With what was said about the Falcon defense, can Bradford avoid making the crucial mistake?

The game will likely come down to which ever team falls victim to the turnover last ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-18-2010 at 11:28 AM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams matchup well with conservative Falcons

I wasn't feeling very good going into this game for obvious reasons, but after reading this, I think a lot of people will be surprised Monday morning.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

We can definately stay in this game now we have Bradford chewing the clock.
    If we can score over 24 points, we win the game. Again, this game may come down to who plays best in the 4th quarter.
    I think we need to make more big plays in the passing game. I cant remember a play longer than fifty yards this season. Gibson and Robinson need to break more tackle's, because they rarely get any separation.
    Falcons 24-27 Rams.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-18-2010 at 12:35 PM.

MACD is offline Registered User

For any quarterback, the most attempts they have, the more likely they are going to make a mistake.
    And then there's Sam Bradford....he%% yeah, let's do this!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Funny thing is with the way that we have played at home this season and the overall parity of the NFL, there isn't one team that I fear playing at home. Now playing on the road...that's a horse of another color.

GO RAMS!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Well pointed out, but don't expect them to be overly conservative like us. They might just run a home run derby offense and slaughter us the same way they did to the Cards.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

We're pretty good on our own turf and thats why i pick us to win but If we can beat the Falcons, i'll be left wondering what in the world is happening to our team on the road. This will be the best team we've played thus far.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

To win this game, we will need to take a couple shots downfield. Laurent Robinson ran a 4.38 40 at the combine! At least a little of that has to be there! I remember in the Panthers game when Hoomawanui motioned into the slot and Bradford hit him 30 yards down the field. Hoomawanui dropped the pass (and injured a couple ribs), but the play was executed perfectly. If Danario plays (which looks unlikely), it'll be his chance to show his deep skills. We can throw the ball downfield. It's a matter of whether we do or not.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

The guys on NFC Playbook pick the Rams 2-1, but unfortunately I am not that optimistic this week. The huge holes exposed in our defense last week will likely be exploited again and we will be playing from behind most of the game, a situation that the Rams don't handle well.

If the Rams win, it will take a couple of lucky plays and much better pass coverage by the secondary. I see the Falcons winning 31-20.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    The guys on NFC Playbook pick the Rams 2-1, but unfortunately I am not that optimistic this week. The huge holes exposed in our defense last week will likely be exploited again and we will be playing from behind most of the game, a situation that the Rams don't handle well.

If the Rams win, it will take a couple of lucky plays and much better pass coverage by the secondary. I see the Falcons winning 31-20.
    I'm really shocked to see this, but then again, "Any Given Sunday".

The guys on NFC Playbook pick the Rams 2-1,
    They've been listening to RamsInfiniti

Keenum is offline Registered User

That Falcons run defense is nasty. I remember them giving up two big TD runs in their first two games, but since then they've been very good. I looked it up and they are 6th in the NFL in run D right now, but teams have been able to pass on them.

Looks like our short, conservative game may actually be a big factor in this game... and this time for our favor. Unless the O-line just has a huge game and Jackson is able to run wild I really think Bradford is going to have to throw 45 times, depending on the flow of the game.

The Falcons offense is good all around... but our D has been pretty good overall as well. As a fan I am really looking forward to watching this matchup. Can the Rams D force a big turnover or two? I don't know if we could hang in there with them in a high-scoring game, but I can easily see us having a great shot if the Rams keep them around 21.

But it's also at home, where the Rams are no doubt a better team this year... could that little boost be just the advantage we need? Stay tuned!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Looking at things objectively, I do not like the Rams chances on Sunday. Atlanta is a better football team, that's the bottom line, and I do not think they will overlook the Rams. On top of that, they've had 10 days to prepare. To have a shot, the Rams will have to rely on the approach that has gotten them their four wins and have kept them competitive in all of their other games (minus Detroit)- ball control, grinding out yards via short, high percentage passes and Steven Jackson, and being aggressive and opportunistic on defense. If they turn the ball over or get down by two scores, forget it.

This is a pivotal time in the Rams' season, with a tough opponent at home and 3 consecutive road games, where they haven't been able to win. They must find a way to rise above these circumstances, or things could turn sour quickly.

FWIW, "Greeny" Mike, of Mike and Mike, picks the Rams...maybe just maybe it means the Rams are inching up on the media's radar.

And Jackson, how does he do it? Starting with the groin injury, and a hand injury that forces him to make one handed catches...I'm so glad the back surgery was such a success for him.

atljbo is offline Registered User

This is going to be a good game... We are definitely not sleeping on your rams team... You guys have a good team... I really like how your D-Line get after QBs.

By the way.. How is Laurent Robinson looking ? I always felt like he had the potential to develop into a roddy white type WR (when he played for us) if he could stay healthy but dude never could stay healthy
    Last edited by atljbo; -11-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast