Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rams May Have a Healthy QB Duel in 2013

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Rams May Have a Healthy QB Duel in 2013

Bernie Miklasz wrote the following article, which IMHO is long overdue. And, to avoid needing to respond to the ole 'we've got our QB for the future,' reply I would just mention that in the late 1990s lots of fans on fan forums were saying 'Trent Green is the QB of the future for the Rams,' that is until a guy named Kurt Warner got his shot unexpectedly. He was a free-agent pick by the Packers; washed out because they thought he 'wasn't ready,' and he agreed; etc. etc. and the rest is history (HOF history).
    P.S. this is not a Sam Bradford thread but an Austin Davis thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Miklasz
    Fisher plans on Austin Davis as No. 2 QB

INDIANAPOLIS • It’s nearly three months before the Rams do any full-squad practice work, but it looks very much like quarterback Austin Davis has been promoted.

Asked Friday about his plans at backup QB, coach Jeff Fisher said, “Well, we’ve got Austin Davis. I was really happy with his progress.”

Davis was signed last spring as an undrafted rookie from Southern Mississippi. He didn’t play all of last season and was on the pregame inactive list 15 times in 16 games. But Davis showed enough during preseason play, including pocket awareness, scrambling skills and throwing on the run, to impress the coaching staff.

“He’s got some ability,” Fisher said. “Still, there’s a possibility that we would bring Kellen (Clemens) back,” Fisher said. “Kellen’s an outstanding locker room guy and very competitive. If that were the case we’d probably flip things to where Austin would be (No.) 2, Kellen would be 3.”

Clemens is an unrestricted free agent.

ROK UPDATE

Fisher said offensive guard Rokevious Watkins is progressing nicely after a rookie year marred by weight and conditioning issues entering camp, followed by a severe ankle injury in the opener that sidelined him for the remainder of the season.
    Once the season ended Fisher said the Rams encouraged Watkins to take some time off before getting back to business.

“He did. He came back. His rehab’s just about complete,” Fisher said. “His weight is significantly down, and he made a commitment to a program early in the offseason to get himself in a position where he can really compete. So I’m pleased with his progress thus far.”

SURGERY UPDATE

To veteran offensive line starters, right guard Harvey Dahl (biceps) and center Scott Wells (knee), continue their rehab work as they recover from operations.
    “They’re doing fine,” Fisher said. “Scott is doing fine. Harvey and his wife just had a baby out on the West Coast so he’s been kind of back and forth, but his rehab is going well.”

As general manager Les Snead pointed out, the goal is to have both players ready for September, not the spring practices or training camp.

“It’s really more to have them primed and ready for opening day,” Snead said. “They’re veterans. We’ve got the same offense. For them to be there for the first OTA may not be the wisest thing to do.”

PAGING SHELDON?

Despite the presence of established starters Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford, Snead wouldn’t rule out the possibility of taking a defensive tackle in the first round.
    “You can probably never have enough defensive tackles because if you’re gonna chase a QB around all day, the 300-plus pounders tend to get tired,” Snead said. “So it wouldn’t be inconceivable to (pick one).

“When you have a ‘rotation’ defensive line like we do, and you can win with the front seven, hey, if you can bring in your next guy — who’s fresh, who’s just as good as the guy who just left — yes.”

Makes you wonder what the Rams would do if University of Missouri (and Gateway Tech High) defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson were still on the board at No. 16 overall.

KEEPING TABS

With lots of free time during the offseason, many an NFL player can get himself in trouble this time of year. When the Rams drafted cornerback Janoris Jenkins last April, the team said it would take special measures to monitor him because of past off-the-field problems.
    Obviously that’s easier said than done once the players scatter for the offseason. Even so, Fisher said, “We are in touch with him. We are in touch with all of our players, but we have gone out of our way to stay in touch with the younger players and keep them involved in different things. But ‘Jenks’ is doing fine so far.”

The topic was brought up to the entire squad at the final team meeting of 2012.

“They were threatened,” Fisher said, smiling. “It was about making the right decisions and taking care of yourself. Coming back and getting in the (offseason) program, and being in shape when you come back.”
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams May Have a Healthy QB Duel in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    Bernie Miklasz wrote the following article, which IMHO is long overdue. And, to avoid needing to respond to the ole 'we've got our QB for the future,' reply I would just mention that in the late 1990s lots of fans on fan forums were saying 'Trent Green is the QB of the future for the Rams,' that is until a guy named Kurt Warner got his shot unexpectedly. He was a free-agent pick by the Packers; washed out because they thought he 'wasn't ready,' and he agreed; etc. etc. and the rest is history (HOF history).
    P.S. this is not a Sam Bradford thread but an Austin Davis thread.

Fisher plans on Austin Davis as No. 2 QB : Sports

There is not going to be any duel. Barring injury to Bradford, the odds of any qb other than Bradford being our starting qb for opening day are exactly ZERO. Can Davis be an effective backup? Maybe, time will tell. I have no strong view either way on Davis. But a duel infers competition and there is not going to be competition between Bradford and Davis for playing time. I get your point on Trent Green, but that situation was created by the knee injury. Without the Rodney Harrison cheap shot, Warner does not get a chance to play.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rammed likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

While I don't think Sam Bradford needs to worry about losing his job (yet) I thought Davis looked good in last years pre-season and look forward to seeing how much he improves this year.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    There is not going to be any duel. Barring injury to Bradford, the odds of any qb other than Bradford being our starting qb for opening day are exactly ZERO. Can Davis be an effective backup? Maybe, time will tell. I have no strong view either way on Davis. But a duel infers competition and there is not going to be competition between Bradford and Davis for playing time. I get your point on Trent Green, but that situation was created by the knee injury. Without the Rodney Harrison cheap shot, Warner does not get a chance to play.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I'm pretty confident that the Seahawks and the SB ***** coaches might disagree. The NFL is changing and the days of somebody being the starter until he's injured are long gone. I am curious why it's seemingly difficult to even imagine someone else besides SB being the Rams QB. As far as I'm concerned they could prop up Johnny Unitas (a la Charleton Heston in El Cid) if it would cause them to win games. I'll never be wedded to any player, including a QB, an RB, a WR or anyone else because it's all about winning and IMHO any other motives for holding on to a given player are irrelevant. It's kind of a 'What have you done for me lately,' approach with which I'm sure some people would disagree.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-23-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Help me out here...from exactly which sentence in this article or Fisher's quote can you infer that there will be any type of QB competition in 2013 (with the possible exception of a competition for the 2nd string spot)?
    Last edited by Yodude; -02-23-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I for one am definitely looking forward to the healthy QB duel that will feature Austin Davis battling it out for the back-up quarterback's job!

........wait, was someone actually implying some other kind of duel?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'll never be wedded to any player, including a QB, an RB, a WR or anyone else because it's all about winning and IMHO any other motives for holding on to a given player are irrelevant.
    Do you get the impression people are "wedded" to Bradford for no other reason than they like him, or because he was a #1 pick?? I actually think you would find people agree with you completely that it's all about winning, and that they support Bradford because he gives the Rams their best chance to win.

And as far as your "What have you done for me lately" approach, I guess using that theory, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton and Drew Brees all need to be looking over their shoulders, right?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think any arguement that suggests that Sam may be in jeopardy of losing his job is about a year pre-mature. I don't think there's any doubt that only injury can unseat him at this point.

But in my opinion, Sam must advance into the pro-bowl conversation this year, or it may be a completely different story next year.
    Agrajag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Do you get the impression people are "wedded" to Bradford for no other reason than they like him, or because he was a #1 pick?? I actually think you would find people agree with you completely that it's all about winning, and that they support Bradford because he gives the Rams their best chance to win.

And as far as your "What have you done for me lately" approach, I guess using that theory, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton and Drew Brees all need to be looking over their shoulders, right?
    To your first point ('Do you think...') my answer is one or both. To your next point ('he gives the Rams their best chance to win') does he? I don't know and I'm interested in the empiracle data that suggests that he does. To your final point ('I guess using that theory...') I think they should. It's happened before (Keapernick, Wilson, and Kurt Warner's time in AZ are a few example) and could happen again. If so, no big deal. That's life in the NFL. I should add a caveat in the name of full disclosure:
    I'm a Rams fan and an NFL fan (the 'and' is a conjunct not an adjunct so both are equally important). If the Cardinals hadn't moved to AZ I'd be a Cardinals fan, and if the Rams move to Timbucktu I'd find a team for which to root but it wouldn't be the Rams. Last time I checked friiends of mine who's spouse walked out on them are not on their Christmas/Hannakuh card list. I'm not a Bradford fan or a Davis fan (although he's been kind of impressive given the few opportunities he's had) or an Amendola fan, a Jackson fan etc. etc. etc., which is why I'd like to see a duel in the Dome this season and a QB controversy to spice things up a bit.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

a Davis fan (although he's been kind of impressive given the few opportunities he's had)
    He's played zero snaps in the NFL. I'd call that very few opportunities.
    Rammed and GolfnRAMFAN like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not a Bradford fan or a Davis fan (although he's been kind of impressive given the few opportunities he's had) or an Amendola fan, a Jackson fan etc. etc. etc., which is why I'd like to see a duel in the Dome this season and a QB controversy to spice things up a bit.
    if that's the case, you're going to be disappointed.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Most delusional, idiotic and blatantly pot-stirring thread title ever.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Interesting conversation. I wonder if Pats fans are having the same conversation with their QB's because the way I see it: Brady>Bradford and Mallett>Davis.

I bet Packers fans are trying to figure out whether Graham Harrell will be able to out duel Rodgers in this years training camp for the same reasoning above.

Is the draft here yet??
    ZiaRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Most delusional, idiotic and blatantly pot-stirring thread title ever.
    High praise indeed, considering the source....lol....not that I disagree. The silly season is in full swing.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Austin, maybe you should get back to working out in preparation for the season instead of posting under the name TorontoRam

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast