Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam

Thread: Rams' McGinnis eager to work with Fisher ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams' McGinnis eager to work with Fisher ..

BY JIM THOMAS Thursday,
    February 9, 2012 12:20 am

Once Jeff Fisher decided to get back into coaching in St. Louis, it was all but inevitable Dave McGinnis would follow.

After Fisher left Tennessee and took a year off from coaching in 2011, McGinnis purposely signed a contract for only a year with the Titans. He wanted the flexibility to join Fisher if the opportunity arose in 2012. Now he's assistant head coach for the Rams.

"Once Jeff got this job and called me, it was instantaneous," McGinnis said. "I mean, if Jeff wanted me to be with him, I wanted to be with him."

Fisher, McGinnis said, has that kind of impact.

"He's a guy that is so spot-on with what he's doing in all aspects of it," McGinnis said. "He just gets it, on every level in this league.

"He's got a confidence about him that is very, very evident when you're around him. He's extremely comfortable in his own skin. He knows what he wants to do. That confidence goes to the players; it goes throughout the building."

As a result, McGinnis continued, "You know you're going to have a chance week in and week out to get it done on Sunday."

McGinnis worked with Fisher for seven seasons in Tennessee, from 2004 to 2010, coaching linebackers for all sevens seasons and also serving as assistant head coach for six years. But their association goes back much farther.

"We've got ties that go back to the Bear days," McGinnis said. "He was on the '85 Bears (Super Bowl championship) team. He left the year that I came in '86, but I was very closely associated with a lot of those guys that had been his coach, and also the guys that had played with him.

"Our careers have kind of intertwined since then as far as keeping in touch. We were brought up kind of under the same defensive system. We adopted a lot of what Buddy (Ryan) had left there."

McGinnis, 60, spent 10 seasons in Chicago as linebackers coach (1986-95), his first coaching job in the NFL after a dozen years coaching at the college ranks including three at Missouri (1975-77).

It was that stint at Mizzou that later helped get McGinnis into the NFL. The Tigers' defensive coordinator during McGinnis' first two seasons at Missouri was Vince Tobin. In 1986, Tobin replaced Ryan as Bears defensive coordinator and got McGinnis an interview with Mike Ditka to coach linebackers.

When Tobin became head coach in Arizona in 1996, he brought McGinnis along as linebackers coach. And when Bill Bidwill fired Tobin seven games into the 2000 season, McGinnis took over as interim head coach. The first person he called for advice after taking over for Tobin was Fisher.

Fired after a 3-year stint as head coach of the Big Red, McGinnis said he had plenty of coaching options, but chose to go with Fisher and the Titans.

"Coaches in this league want to work for Jeff Fisher," McGinnis said. "The environment that you work in is very, very conducive to doing good things. He's very professional, but you have fun doing it."

Having that NFL head-coaching perspective should help McGinnis as Fisher's assistant head coach.

"Until you ever sit in that chair, and it's you and it says 'head coach' on that door, you really can't explain it to anybody," McGinnis said. "It gives you a broader perspective of what's going on because you really have to put your high beams on as a head coach. As an assistant coach, you can sometimes look through a little narrower scope."

It sounds like McGinnis will use those "high beams" once again in St. Louis.

"I'm going to be helping in all aspects of the team," McGinnis said. "I'm going to be assisting Jeff, and both coordinators, and the special teams coordinator in a lot of various capacities. ... It's a role that I filled last year there in Nashville for Mike Munchak, and I'm really looking forward to it."

Ram-blings

Omar Khan, director of business and administration for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is expected to interview for the Rams' general manager job today. ... Although nothing is final, it looks like Frank Cignetti, most recently offensive coordinator at Rutgers, will be the Rams' quarterbacks coach. ... WR John Chiles, who was on the Rams' practice squad for the last five weeks of the 2011 regular season, has been cut from the offseason roster. The Rams have added offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye (6-foot-6, 325 pounds) to the roster; he played the past two seasons for British Columbia in the Canadian Football League and made the CFL All-Star team in 2011. ... Jonathan Gannon, who has been a Rams scout the last three seasons, is getting back into coaching as defensive assistant/quality control for the Titans. ... Strength coach Rock Gullickson and offensive assistant/quality control Andy Sugarman are expected to be retained by Fisher from Steve Spagnuolo's Rams staff. ... Andre Curtis, who was Rams safeties coach for three seasons, is re-joining Spagnuolo in New Orleans
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' McGinnis eager to work with Fisher ..

Not bad, not bad at all. I like thus far...

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Listening to that interview, Dave sounds like a really great guy.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Its very smart of Fisher to have this assistant coach position. I love how not only Fisher is delegating the jobs needed but is also having an assistant coach to take care of stuff he doesn't need to!

That is the sign of a true leader, put people in place and let them do their job as long as they can report to him!