throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Per ESPN's Ed Werder and Tony Softli's Twitter account, respectively.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

If there are still any doubters about how much our program has improved under DeSpags let this be an indication.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    If there are still any doubters about how much our program has improved under DeSpags let this be an indication.
    If you are implying that The Rams are now in the hunt for big name staff; maybe.That's the glass half full view, I guess. I'd hope it was true but let's see who gets offered the job & who takes it first,no? These guys have nothing to lose by accepting an invitation to interview but accepting the gig is another thing.

That's where it crosses over to the glass half empty view,imo,; two HCs who had humiliatingly disastrous endings to their regimes in two big markets- these weren't scapegoat firings; these guys both needed to have their heads surgically removed from their whatsits if the fans/media were to be believed- and if they take the Rams OC spot, it's because they have to do their time in the minors until they get another shot.

In general,I think it's interesting that it seems to be a slow developing search. Sounds like The Rams were pretty sure PS was gone long before the official announcement.Dunno what it means but it's intriguing. Maybe Kroenke is more involved. Who has final say on coaching staff? Is it Spags?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Have to disagree with you blue and gold (maybe, or maybe I am totally agreeing with you), any coordinator job is second fiddle to a head coaching gig, but I have heard from several media guys that our OC position is one of the most coveted openings, make no mistake, McD and Childress aren't just interviewing, they are auditioning. Difference being, they want this job. They need this job. And deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they beg for this job.

Legion is offline Registered User

I see Brad Childress getting the Gig. Spags has a track record with him

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Have to disagree with you blue and gold (maybe, or maybe I am totally agreeing with you), any coordinator job is second fiddle to a head coaching gig, but I have heard from several media guys that our OC position is one of the most coveted openings, make no mistake, McD and Childress aren't just interviewing, they are auditioning. Difference being, they want this job. They need this job. And deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they beg for this job.
    Maybe.And even if true, are we so sure they are the guy we want on that wall,especially if it's become such an exciting/important post ? They both come with a history of code red-ishly disturbing decision-making .Just because Custer's name is remembered doesn't mean he was good at his job.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i don`t see any of them being HC`s again in the near future...

they have good records as OC`s..but because they failed so embarrassingly last time out...they kinda like boxers who worked themselves into a World title fight only to get humiliated..McDaniels got his ass whipped and the contest was finally stopped in the 2nd..Chilly was doing better for the first 4 rounds but got hit by a sucker punch in the 5th after exposing his glass jaw and shows signs of memory loss during interview..
    is gonna be a while before any promoter puts them back in the ring for a top job.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Via Adam Schefter's twitter account:

Josh McDaniels flew to St. Louis on Friday and will interview for Rams OC job today. As first man in, sounds like McDaniels is the favorite.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    That's where it crosses over to the glass half empty view,imo,; two HCs who had humiliatingly disastrous endings to their regimes in two big markets- these weren't scapegoat firings; these guys both needed to have their heads surgically removed from their whatsits if the fans/media were to be believed- and if they take the Rams OC spot, it's because they have to do their time in the minors until they get another shot.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
    Yes the ended their jobs in the worst way possible, but you can't deny the fact that when they were OC's they were the best in the league. Maybe the HC was too big for them, maybe they are not prepared, I dunno, but I do know that Mcd was putting the second best show on nfl, and after that he developed a nobody qb that didn't even play in college into a good (elite?) qb

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Both excelled as OC's and failed as HC's. I am pleased we are interviewing them, and I think they are both quality play callers. I hope we get someone hired soon, so schemes can get set.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Yes the ended their jobs in the worst way possible, but you can't deny the fact that when they were OC's they were the best in the league. Maybe the HC was too big for them, maybe they are not prepared, I dunno, but I do know that Mcd was putting the second best show on nfl, and after that he developed a nobody qb that didn't even play in college into a good (elite?) qb

Actually one of the criticisms of Childress is that he didn't call plays while he was OC in philly, Reid did. Here he would have greater responsibility, and no HC with an offensive background to lean on. So I'm not sure he really was one of the best OCs in the league.

Tony Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Both excelled as OC's and failed as HC's. I am pleased we are interviewing them, and I think they are both quality play callers. I hope we get someone hired soon, so schemes can get set.
    I agree. Both had success as OC's, so I'd feel comfortable with either one. Let's hope we can get some stability for Sam's sake. However, I'd say he's better that Jason Campbell or "Ol Small Hands" Smith, so no matter what, I think he'll be ok. I understand that coordinators get snatched when a team does well. That got me thinking, anybody know why Peyton Manning has had the same OC his whole career? How come that guy didn't get a gig?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I hope we get McDaniels. Chilly let Favre walk all over him in Minnesota.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Banks View Post
    I agree. Both had success as OC's, so I'd feel comfortable with either one. Let's hope we can get some stability for Sam's sake. However, I'd say he's better that Jason Campbell or "Ol Small Hands" Smith, so no matter what, I think he'll be ok. I understand that coordinators get snatched when a team does well. That got me thinking, anybody know why Peyton Manning has had the same OC his whole career? How come that guy didn't get a gig?
    Could be because Peyton pretty much calls the plays, as opposed to his coaches. The guy is ridiculous.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say. Going to HC from an OC is a big jump and some coaches I guess struggle with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast