Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Though we allegedly have an interview lined up w Chilly on Monday/Tuesday, I dont think the Rams let McDaniels leave today without a contract.

Think Chilly is more of a fallback option in case things don't progress today, just to hedge there bets on getting one of these two guys

But we shall see.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Sure. And sometimes you've got a guy who is really good at designing and calling plays but isn't good at leading a team or the other big picture stuff. McDaniels is probably the last person I'd want as a GM, but he can call an offense well enough. My only major complaint there is his prior affiliation with the Pats and all the spying accusations (the issue came up again with the Broncos while he was there). I'd rather prefer not to get that kind of mud on our organization.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I think that Childress has to be favourite due to his relationship with Spags and Devaney. His system will be nearer to what Bradford is used to.
    McDaniels would be quite a change and I will be surprised if Spags would be willing to open up the offense like that.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    I think that Childress has to be favourite due to his relationship with Spags and Devaney. His system will be nearer to what Bradford is used to.
    McDaniels would be quite a change and I will be surprised if Spags would be willing to open up the offense like that.
    Yeah that. Its almost exactly what I was going to post. We know Spags likes to hire his friends..we know he's ultra conservative. And he also wants to run the WCO. As much as fans would love to see a more open passing game, its not Spags. So unless (and I keep hoping) Devaney or the owner step in and make an overriding decision, I'm going to be shocked if our OC is anyone but Childress. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised none the less.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Sure. And sometimes you've got a guy who is really good at designing and calling plays but isn't good at leading a team or the other big picture stuff. McDaniels is probably the last person I'd want as a GM, but he can call an offense well enough. My only major complaint there is his prior affiliation with the Pats and all the spying accusations (the issue came up again with the Broncos while he was there). I'd rather prefer not to get that kind of mud on our organization.
    We paid Leonard Little to play football for more than a decade after he killed someone. We haven't exactly been squeaky clean prior to this.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

I have been reading people praising Josh for being a great OC previous to Denver. But let's loo9k at what he did in Denver. He came into a program that had one of the best offenses in the NFL and a franchise QB. He was brought in to fix the defense, which was the acknowledged problem in Denver. Everyone said that if Jash could fix the D in Denver that they would be contenders for the Superbowl. And what happened. He alienated the QB to the point he left town. Alienated one of their best receivers so that he wanted out. Drove that offense right into the ground, so that it is no longer considered one of the best in the NFL and ranks very low in all the charts. So we are going to bring him in to do the same to us?

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We paid Leonard Little to play football for more than a decade after he killed someone. We haven't exactly been squeaky clean prior to this.
    Different owner, different Front office, different coaching staff. Can't draw comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampingitup View Post
    Different owner, different Front office, different coaching staff. Can't draw comparisons.
    Ummm....Little was on the payroll in 2009, under the DeSpags front office/coaching regime and with Kroenke as a minority owner.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I have been reading people praising Josh for being a great OC previous to Denver. But let's loo9k at what he did in Denver. He came into a program that had one of the best offenses in the NFL and a franchise QB. He was brought in to fix the defense, which was the acknowledged problem in Denver. Everyone said that if Jash could fix the D in Denver that they would be contenders for the Superbowl. And what happened. He alienated the QB to the point he left town. Alienated one of their best receivers so that he wanted out. Drove that offense right into the ground, so that it is no longer considered one of the best in the NFL and ranks very low in all the charts. So we are going to bring him in to do the same to us?
    Yea, and he did that in New England too, where he ran Brady and anyone else good off the team! OCs don't have control over personnel. He can talk to Spags and Devaney about who he wants, but in the end, he has to work with who he is given. He screwed up in Denver, but then again, most of the Denver front office seemed just fine with dumping Cutler, which tells you he wasn't well liked.

I don't forsee the same issues McD had in Denver coming up in St. Louis. Different organization, less control.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
    Yes the ended their jobs in the worst way possible, but you can't deny the fact that when they were OC's they were the best in the league. Maybe the HC was too big for them, maybe they are not prepared, I dunno, but I do know that Mcd was putting the second best show on nfl, and after that he developed a nobody qb that didn't even play in college into a good (elite?) qb
    McD was a grad asst at Mich State, i believe, when Brady was drafted & didn't even become QB coach for The Pats until '04 so I think there's a big question about how much he had to do with developing Brady.The best you can definitely say about him, as an outsider, is that he was working for a very successful organization. I'm not saying he's some sort of Forrest Gump who just stumbled into success but the spectacular crash & burn at Denver isn't very compelling evidence that he was the architect of the Pats offense when he became OC or, for that matter, that he was able to translate that experience to another organization. As I said before, Denver's passing offense was already good.Let's not forget The Rams got their first road victory in years by shutting his team down.Just because he won't have the same high-profile decisions to make as an OC that he won't display the same poor judgment as an OC, does it ?

As for Childress, he he was widely credited with building the team in Minn before the thing blew up this year but my Vikes friends have often complained about his game management and strategy which are surely important areas for an OC.

Personally, I favor Chilly over McD if I had to guess who Spags would choose. The friendship, the low-key methodical style ,much more experience & success away from the organization where he learned his trade, the WCO background, etc, are all much more compatible than McD's radical & public style that reeks of the autocratic Darth Hoodie & the long ball/RB-by-committee approach of the Pats.

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Chilly is a idiot
    please please dont let him sign with the rams....he had tons of talent in Minnesota and was inept ...they went to playoffs because of players not chilly- without Favre having carrer year they wouldve went nowhere....they contended prior to Favre because of a good Defense and AD....chilldress is at best inept

please please dont let him be apart of Bradfords future...I will throw my Rams toaster in the trash if that happens

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rxb97 View Post
    Chilly is a idiot
    please please dont let him sign with the rams....he had tons of talent in Minnesota and was inept ...they went to playoffs because of players not chilly- without Favre having carrer year they wouldve went nowhere....they contended prior to Favre because of a good Defense and AD....chilldress is at best inept

please please dont let him be apart of Bradfords future...I will throw my Rams toaster in the trash if that happens
    Funny how coaches are only as good as their players, but players are good in spite of their coaches. Sometimes players have career years because the coach got it out of them, not because the coach was a bungling idiot who lucked out.

Chilly's Philadelphia experience is overrated. Andy Reid controlled and controls all aspects of the Philly offense. Reid's the only Philly guy we should ever consider giving the OC job to.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

McDaniels > Childress

Enough said.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

McD would have no control over personnel in St Louis. So when looking at what he did in Denver, don't look at him getting rid of players etc, look at what he did with the players he had. That's what an OC does. So looking at Denver, he got a level of play out of Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd that neither had reached before. Imagine what he could do with Bradford and, say, Danario Alexander. That's what you have to look at when judging McD as an OC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast