Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    McD was a grad asst at Mich State, i believe, when Brady was drafted & didn't even become QB coach for The Pats until '04 so I think there's a big question about how much he had to do with developing Brady.
    I'm sorry, I was talking about Matt Cassel...

Worst case scenario, we can always bring Linehan back as an OC, right?
    how's this years draft on TE's?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to meet w/ OC candidates McDaniels on Saturday, Childress early next week

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We paid Leonard Little to play football for more than a decade after he killed someone. We haven't exactly been squeaky clean prior to this.
    I'd rather not derail into discussion of Little's flaws. Suffice to say that I would draw a distinction between the organization's decisions on how to handle off-hours misdeeds and the conduct of a person in a high level management position in performing the job he is paid to do. Breaking league rules isn't generally going to put anyone's life in danger, but if he gets caught at it while with the Rams, it could ultimately cost us draft picks and raise doubts as to the authenticity of any accomplishments under his coaching tenure.

RealRam is offline Registered User

At this point and time in the careers of both candidates, as well as where the Rams are / who they are, I feel that that Mac would be a better fit as our new OC than Childress. Better as a risk taker - offense opener; better as a leader - motivator (hard for me to see Childress motivating), better to continue growing alongside a relatively young Rams offense.

Good oportunity for McDaniels AND the Rams.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Banks View Post
    I agree. Both had success as OC's, so I'd feel comfortable with either one. Let's hope we can get some stability for Sam's sake. However, I'd say he's better that Jason Campbell or "Ol Small Hands" Smith, so no matter what, I think he'll be ok. I understand that coordinators get snatched when a team does well. That got me thinking, anybody know why Peyton Manning has had the same OC his whole career? How come that guy didn't get a gig?
    That's mean. You made fun of two San Diego boys :'(

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    I'm sorry, I was talking about Matt Cassel...

Worst case scenario, we can always bring Linehan back as an OC, right?
    how's this years draft on TE's?
    But did he develop Cassel or was Cassel just another solid pick by Pioli & was able to play at a high level within a well-established system with excellent personnel around him. It's always hard to say, as others have noted, who made whom look good; the coach or the players. Until you see the guy do it elsewhere, I think it's a legit question about McD. Denver's offense was just as good statistically before he got there (13th & 15th).

I don't even really care about the QB development thing. Bradford's going to be awesome regardless, barring injury. Someone who gels with both the DeSpags approach/staff and gets the best out of all the players at his disposal that I'd like to see.I guess it depends on what of the good & bad that happened on their respective watches in NE & Minn you want to lay at their door.

As hard as it is for me to say, Linehan looks pretty darned good in DET. That team skyrocketed offensively this year & did it with 3 different QBs. Good example, though, of how failure as a HC doesn't mean someone can't be an effective coordinator.

All this talk of what's best for Sam & the pass O & I can't help thinking my first question for an OC candidate would be to ask how to get the run game fixed.Never mind the unexpected interior OL problems & inexplicable game strategies on occasion, The Rams were rightfully knocked for an antiquated and predictable run game( not just by knuckleheads like me but guys like Hanifan), thus squandering the tremendous personal contribution SJ made. I think I start drooling about a version of Peterson and Chester Taylor in the Rams backfield if I'm talking to Chilly. If it were McD.....who were the RBs for them ?....I know they had some good ones but they don't pop up in your mind when you think of the pats, do they?...Just sayin.....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think both Linehan and Mike Martz show that a coaches performance as a Head Coach is not representitive of their abilities as an Offensive Coordinator.

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I would be interesting should Childress become OC what effect that would have on Sidney Rice's decisions during FA. He's an obvious target and should Childress be the man, is he a positive in addition to Bradford throwing the ball? Could be interesting, as I think Rice should be the number one target of the offseason for Devaney.
    Semper Fi!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I would love McDaniels to be honest. I can put the whole Patriot thing aside on this one, hes an offensive mastermind!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I would be interesting should Childress become OC what effect that would have on Sidney Rice's decisions during FA. He's an obvious target and should Childress be the man, is he a positive in addition to Bradford throwing the ball? Could be interesting, as I think Rice should be the number one target of the offseason for Devaney.
    Given how the Vikings reportedly hated Chilly, I doubt bringing him in would boost our stock with Rice.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think always during splits in all forms of relationships, the line between truth and fiction can get easily blurred..
    on the flip side, to what some players are reported to feel about Chilly..i think it`s fair to say that if they done a poll between all NFL fans..which teams have the most high character players on their books..it`s been a very long time since the Vikings would have been among the top. long before Childress came on the scene there.
    Chilly`s crime in my eyes was his inability to resolve the problems in the looker room as an HC rather than being the cause of them..but like i`ve said already the line between truth and fiction can be (and often is) easily blurred
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -01-17-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling clean up job.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi believes Josh McDaniels will "probably" choose the Ram's Offensive Coordinator job over the Viking's.

The decision is expected to be finalized within the next 24 hours. Lombardi had been tight with the McDaniels regime in Denver, so it's safe to trust his instincts here. ESPN's Adam Schefter had also deemed McDaniels "the favorite" for the Rams job. It's hard to blame him for choosing the franchise with the promising young quarterback over the one with the position up in the air heading into 2011.

(Rotoworld)

Take it for what its worth, guess whether he "chooses" the Rams OC position or not, we'll be hearing something soon.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Linehan was a horrible coach yes but who said that Martz was a bad coach??? He still took us to the playoffs numerous times and kept the team competitive...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Losing ultimately knocks the shine off any coach and its common practice for players to be less than flattering of their ex-coach afterwards. 'Unswerving with a firm vision' becomes 'Dogmatic and dictatorial', 'collegiate and conciliatory' becomes 'weak and insipid'. The win column usually decides where the emphasis will lie.

Ultimately both Childress and McDaniels for all of their advertised short-comings are preceived around the league as worthy candidates by the people who matter; their peers. Childress got canned because he was losing and Favre wasn't responding well and Moss was the locker-room poison everyone made him out to be. McDaniels, because of the unfortunate lesson his video assistant seemed to have learned in his time at the Patriots and because his clumsy pursuit of Cassel and Cutlers subsequent departure made his losing record this season stink worse than it perhaps normally would.

There are downsides to any and every choice Spags might make but at this point I'm personally leaning to continuity in terms of our scheme and that might not mean Childress necessarily. McDaniels wouldn't have me up in arms however.

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

Macdaniels orchestrated first 16 - 0 offense. Spags defense was the only one that was able to beat 16 - 0 team. Those two guys together would light this place up!!! I bet you that Gilyard would become one of the better receivers with Macdaniels, look at Floyd in Denver?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosna-Ram View Post
    Macdaniels orchestrated first 16 - 0 offense. Spags defense was the only one that was able to beat 16 - 0 team. Those two guys together would light this place up!!! I bet you that Gilyard would become one of the better receivers with Macdaniels, look at Floyd in Denver?
    yeah i have been thinking about the combo..we would be aggressive on O and aggressive on D..kinda like the Saints last year i guess..or our teams during our last two visits to the SB . can`t say i like McD`s character and have some fears about us hiring him..but it would certainly be exciting to watch and see how it pans out...

i think you mean Lloyd right?

oh and i think the Pats D had something to do with them going 16-0 that year too..
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -01-18-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123