lowasah is offline Registered User

Rams and MRSA infection

Hi Ram fans,

I have followed the Rams stretching back to my time living in St. Louis, MO. I am currently a professor in biology who researches bacteria and how they infect people. I found a few references to an outbreak of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) in Rams players in 2003 - including an article from the New England Journal of Medicine in 2005. I wonder, though, if any of you know more about this story, and would be willing to share? In particular I'm interested in the personal experiences players had during the infection, any impacts that it had on the team, and any changes that the team or trainers made in response to this incident.

Perhaps this is not the right place for this question but I thought I'd try!

Luke

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams and MRSA infection

Quote Originally Posted by lowasah View Post
    Hi Ram fans,

I have followed the Rams stretching back to my time living in St. Louis, MO. I am currently a professor in biology who researches bacteria and how they infect people. I found a few references to an outbreak of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) in Rams players in 2003 - including an article from the New England Journal of Medicine in 2005. I wonder, though, if any of you know more about this story, and would be willing to share? In particular I'm interested in the personal experiences players had during the infection, any impacts that it had on the team, and any changes that the team or trainers made in response to this incident.

Perhaps this is not the right place for this question but I thought I'd try!

Luke
    I do remember that. But I'm afraid most of us wouldn't have the details you're looking for. It was just reported as several players were "sick w/ flu-like symptoms" and I believe they did say a staph infection outbreak had happened. Though I don't recall it being MRSA. That's a little scary.

I doubt anyone has personal insight on that particular outbreak, but if anyone does have information here, I'm sure they will be glad to share.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OK great - thanks for the reply. The scientific paper reporting on the outbreak has a position diagram of the infected players - I could post that on here if anyone is interested. And if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i would like to see the position diagram

I remember the reports of staph infections, which many people said was a result of the turf at the Edward Jones Dome. However, I have to say i do not remember any mention of it being MRSA. It is worth noting that in 2003, MRSA wasn't known in the public as much as it is today, so it could have been MRSA but not reported as such

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

It was indeed MRSA. There was a report on HBOs Real Sports regarding this outbreak a few years back.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -07-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

ManofGod is offline Registered User

We deal w/ MRSA at the hospital alot, and it is highly contageous, from what I can gather, the team wanted to keep the story under wraps and not cause a panic so they termed it "flu-like symptoms" (which is a symptom many with MRSA have); however as stated earlier MRSA was not a common topic in 2003 so they medical staff could have also simply mis-diagnosed the illness.

Either way I think unless you have some behind the scenes knowledge of the situation, we may all never know, however another NFL team recently had an issue w/ that as well when many of the players got sick after working out in the teams weigh-lifting facility....can't remember the team off the top of my head, but that information seems to better fit what you are looking for.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think the Cleveland Browns just recently had a few of there players have a staph infection, if that helps anything.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I know that Joe Jurevicius sued the Browns after complications with his knee surgery were caused by a staph infection

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Braylong Edwards had a reported staph infection, and centre LeCharles Bentley is currently sueing for a staph infection that ended his career and "nearly killed" him.

Thanks, all of this is really helpful. The Inside Sports report from HBO is on YouTube if anyone wants to watch it.