throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Name Nine Captains--Lots of good info

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The votes are in and the Rams have elected their captains for the 2007 season. And, though the league has placed an added emphasis on the role of a captain starting this season and limited teams to five official captains, the Rams came up with nine when the votes came in.

“The league basically has said there will be five designated captains,” coach Scott Linehan said. “I’m not sure what that means because we have nine. So we will figure that out.”

The nine players chosen by their teammates to represent the team are safety Corey Chavous, kicker Jeff Wilkins, linebackers Will Witherspoon and Pisa Tinoisamoa, defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, quarterback Marc Bulger and running back Steven Jackson.

Along with the league’s new emphasis on captains, there is now a designation for captains on the team uniforms that is similar to the “C’s” placed on hockey sweaters. According to the league, the number of patches on the jerseys is limited to five.

Linehan said the voting was too close to make a decision on about six of the players so instead of breaking the tie, he will come up with another solution.

“If we can’t put C’s on all of them, we will,” Linehan said. “Maybe put them on the five oldest guys or something, I don’t know.”

Really, none of the choices for captain comes as much of a surprise. It’s well known that the likes of Chavous, Wilkins, Holt, Bruce and Glover have had leadership roles for a long time. And Jackson, Witherspoon and Tinoisamoa are rapidly emerging into similar situations.

Perhaps no player is more universally respected in the Rams’ locker room than Chavous, who is known for inviting teammates to his house and hosting them for dinner as well as working as a teacher in the film room for young players that want extra work.

“That’s one of those things that you can’t put it into words,” Chavous said. “Any time your teammates select you for anything that’s one of the most humbling honors you can get. There’s nothing you can say other than just being appreciative of it and try to do the best you can to represent.”

Chavous has been a team captain on a number of occasions in his career, including last year for the Rams and previously in Minnesota. He says the most important lesson he has learned was to just be himself and not worry about forcing leadership on anyone.

“I take it very seriously but I don’t change because of it,” Chavous said. “I remember the first time I was elected a captain in Minnesota a long time ago, I tried to be a captain and I don’t think you can do that. The best thing you can do and I learned this from our defensive coordinator Willie Shaw, to just be yourself. I just try to do that.”

INJURY REPORT: The Rams are relatively healthy heading into this week’s season opener against Carolina. But there are likely to be a couple of question marks heading into Sunday’s game.

First, right guard Richie Incognito is still battling a high ankle sprain suffered against San Diego on Aug. 18. Incognito suffered the injury when a tangled linebacker and tight end landed on his leg and caused the ankle to give way.

Incognito has been limited in practice a bit and continued to sit out during Tuesday’s practice session. Linehan said Incognito’s status will be determined Friday, but Incognito said he is feeling better.

“Right now I feel real good,” Incognito said. “It’s day by day, but I feel good today.”

Incognito said the original diagnosis had him out for about four weeks and he is closing in on three weeks. Still, he has hopes that he will be able to play against the Panthers. Milford Brown and Claude Terrell took turns in Incognito’s spot again Tuesday.

Elsewhere, receiver Drew Bennett is battling a tight calf that kept him completely out of Tuesday’s workout. Bennett aggravated the injury in Saturday’s practice and said he is taking it slow to get back, but had the game taken place Tuesday he likely would have played.

“I felt pretty good today and I expect to play,” Bennett said. “It’s just tight, nothing significant. It’s been tight for a while. Saturday it got a little worse.”

Bennett will likely return to the practice field before the week is out, but Incognito’s status will be more day to day.

RAM BITS: With the loss of backup tackle Todd Steussie for the season, the Rams began working some shifts on personnel on the backup offensive line. Adam Goldberg is working at left tackle in Steussie’s stead with Brown on the right side. The active roster has just nine linemen, but Dustin Fry is the lone offensive lineman on the practice squad. That gives the Rams enough for two full lines, but with Andy McCollum handling the second team reps at center, Fry is going to have to work at guard as he did Tuesday…A deal with Simeon Rice certainly piqued the Rams’ interest, but it never came that close. Rice went to Denver on Sunday and didn’t leave without a contract. Rice got over $3 million from the Broncos, a high price to pay for a guy coming off a serious injury…There are still about 1,000 tickets remaining for the season opener Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. Fans can get them here at stlouisrams.com, any TicketMaster outlet or by calling (314) 421-4400 in Missouri or (618) 222-2900 in Illinois…Bennett and Marques Hagans will start taking some reps to prepare as an emergency quarterback in case of a pair of injuries to Marc Bulger and Gus Frerotte.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Name Nine Captains--Lots of good info

So go with 5 captains. Why 9? Seems like alot to me. 9 captains on a 53 man roster reminds me of the old saying. To many chiefs and not enough indians.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You know, we can have an entire debate about Chavous as a player and whether or not he's dropping off in terms of talent on the field. But it says a lot about how others see him in that locker room that he's voted to be among guys like Bulger, Holt, and Bruce in terms of being looked upon as a leader. When you have such a young secondary, that kind of experience and leadership can make a big difference.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You know, we can have an entire debate about Chavous as a player and whether or not he's dropping off in terms of talent on the field. But it says a lot about how others see him in that locker room that he's voted to be among guys like Bulger, Holt, and Bruce in terms of being looked upon as a leader. When you have such a young secondary, that kind of experience and leadership can make a big difference.
    I totally agree. Chavous may have lost a step, but he's so valuable as a stabilizing presence, especially to guys like Hill, Bartell and Atogwe. IMO, he can still bring it on the field as well.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Laram0 View Post
    So go with 5 captains. Why 9? Seems like alot to me. 9 captains on a 53 man roster reminds me of the old saying. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Agree 100%, L.A. ...Maybe they were just having fun or something but, Bruce, Bulger, Chavous, Glover, and Wilkins are my votes for Captains to wear the 'C'.

And they are good captains! It's their time to lead. :r

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

thats just to much, and some don't deserve it
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -09-05-2007 at 03:04 AM.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

what about our best defender {MR #91} LEONARD LITTLE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wouldn't name Little a captain. Talent does not equal leadership. I like RealRam's list.

helorm341 Guest

Nine seems like a bit much but it's a good group of leaders. Wilkens is kind of interesting though, it kind of seems like they're throwing him a bone

you all miss the point. The Ram players voted and the votes were that tight that it was impossible to seperate 9.

Now its up to the Coach to do that

jkramsfan Guest

9 captains is to many, it should be a select few,since the NFL says 5 then we should do 2 on defense,2 on offense and 1 for special teams,problem solved.

helorm341 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    you all miss the point. The Ram players voted and the votes were that tight that it was impossible to seperate 9.

Now its up to the Coach to do that
    I'd say out of those five, Jackson, Bulger, Bruce, Holt and Witherspoon. I've heard great things about Witherspoon, Bruce and Holt's leadership and I think you have to include the RB and QB.

Seems odd that the NFL needs to limit captains, what does that matter? The NFL seems a bit rule crazy at times to me.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Wow! hope they didnt leave anybody out!!!