Varg6 is offline Registered User

Rams Name Softli To Personnel Position

Rams Name Softli To Personnel Position

The St. Louis Rams appointed Tony Softli Vice President/Player Personnel today and reached agreement with Charlie Armey to continue his association with the team as Vice President/Pro Personnel.

Softli, a former football player and coach at the University of Washington, has worked in scouting for the Carolina Panthers since the franchise was formed in 1995, most recently as Director of College Scouting.

The Panthers’ drafts in the last six seasons have been among the most productive in the NFL. Under Softli’s supervision the Panthers have acquired such Pro Bowl players as Julius Peppers, Steve Smith, Dan Morgan, Kris Jenkins and many others who have contributed to Carolina’s success in this decade.

“After an extensive search we are excited that Tony has agreed to join the Rams,” said Jay Zygmunt, Rams President of Pro Football Operations. “Tony brings a wealth of talent evaluation knowledge and will work closely with our scouts and with Lawrence McCutcheon and Charley in the coordination of our efforts on the collegiate and professional levels.”

Softli, who has been a computer analyst in the private sector, also is credited with developing a state-of-the-art performance evaluation system that has proven to be an excellent tool for making personnel decisions.

“I’m very excited to be joining an organization with the great tradition of the Rams,” said Softli. “I look forward to working with Jay and (head coach) Scott Linehan. I’ve always admired Charley from afar and the things that he and Lawrence have accomplished.”

The appointment of Softli will free Armey to concentrate on pro personnel, an area of increased importance. “We are grateful of Charley’s willingness to take on this new role for the organization,” said Zygmunt. “Charley’s twenty-six seasons of NFL experience as an evaluator in all areas of the game will be invaluable.”

Armey, 67, agreed to extend his relationship with the Rams after postponing a decision to retire.

McCutcheon will continue to serve the Rams in college scouting as Director of Player Personnel.

http://stlouisrams.com

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Name Softli To Personnel Position

Softli, a former football player and coach at the University of Washington
    You got to wonder if Linehan's influence had a hand in this selection as well.

I hope this guy works out. I'll admit the Panthers seem to do a pretty good job of developing their talent, but other than the 2001 and 2002 drafts, none of them really bowled me over with shockwaves of genius. Good, but nothing spectacular.

Hopefully, this guy is given enough room to fluorish.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bigredman Guest

Re: Rams Name Softli To Personnel Position

I agree with Hub, the college selections by the Panthers have been so-so, but I have always been impressed by the way they have put their team together to stay competitive in their short history. Hopefully, as Director of College Scouting with the Panthers gave him access to the decision making by the other talent in the Panther's front office regarding evaluating veterans, chemistry of current roster, etc, and bring that insight to the Rams.
    Last edited by bigredman; -06-21-2006 at 01:07 AM.