Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fettmaster

Thread: "Rams need 10 years to prepare for GB"

Ram_Mas is offline Registered User

"Rams need 10 years to prepare for GB"

St. Louis Rams (0-4) at Green Bay Packers (5-0)
    Line: Packers by 15. Total: 48.

Walt's Projected Line (Before Week 5): Packers -19.5.
    Walt's Projected Line (After Week 5): Packers -19.5.
    Sunday, Oct. 16, 1:00 ET

The Game. Edge: Packers.

GREEN BAY OFFENSE: As I wrote in my Week 5 Game Recaps page, "The only way the Packers don't beat all of their opponents soundly (save for New England and New Orleans) is if they make mistakes." They made two bad ones at Atlanta (Ryan Grant's fumble, Jermichael Finley's dropped touchdown), yet they were still able to win by 11.

To put it bluntly, the Rams can't stop the Packers. The only way Green Bay doesn't light up the scoreboard is if it shoots itself in the foot with careless errors. Joe Flacco lit up St. Louis' secondary for 389 yards in Week 3. Aaron Rodgers is way too good and has way too many weapons, so he could easily eclipse that figure if he wanted to.

ST. LOUIS OFFENSE: Can the Rams score enough points to keep up with the Packers? Yeeaaa... no.

The Rams have had a week off to prepare for the Packers, but I don't care if they had 10 years; their offensive line stinks, and Sam Bradford's receivers are even worse. St. Louis is allowing a league-high 4.8 sacks per game. Green Bay has Clay Matthews and Dom Capers to take advantage of that.

Perhaps St. Louis can run the ball with Steven Jackson and control the clock? Yeeaaa... no. Thanks to B.J. Raji and a stout front seven, the Packers rank ninth against the run, limiting the opposition to 3.7 YPC.

RECAP: Want a pretty sick trend? Winless teams (0-4 or worse) are a whopping 22-3 against the spread coming off a bye.

So, am I betting on the Rams? Yeeaaa... no. As I wrote in my NFL Power Rankings page, "Aaron Rodgers is 27-13 against the spread since 2009. If you bet against him, you might as well light your money on fire."

I'm not going to lay any units on the host because of that trend, but I'm siding with Green Bay. This line is just WAY too low (I thought it'd be -19.5 or -20). Think about it this way - the Packers finished -6 at Atlanta. Move it over six points, and they would have been -12 over the Falcons at home. This spread is 15. Are the Falcons just three points better than the post-bye Rams? Definitely not. It makes no sense.

The Psychology. Edge: None.
    No psychological edge found.

The Vegas. Edge: Rams.
    A very shady low spread has invited tons of action on the Packers. Percentage of money on Green Bay: 83% (3,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: Packers.
    Rams are 28-44 ATS in road games since 2001 (9-8 since 2009).
    Rams are 19-29 ATS on grass since 2001.
    Aaron Rodgers is 27-13 ATS since 2009.
    Opening Line: Packers -14.5.
    Opening Total: 48.
    Weather: .

WALTER FOOTBALL'S Week 6 NFL Pick: Packers 45, Rams 10

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Re: "Rams need 10 years to prepare for GB"

In 2007 the New England Patriots went 18-0 when they faced the NY Giants in the Super Bowl. They were beats every team very easily and were favorite by 14 points. Guess who won the Super Bowl? Within the next 2-3 years the Rams will compete with the Packers.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

In 2010, the Browns pulled an upset towards the seemingly unstoppable Brady Bieber-led Pats.
    Jus' sayin.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Sorry guys, it's gonna be ugly Sunday...

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Even if the RAMS had a decent secondary, they would have no chance. I have not seen a team get away with more offensive pass interference than the Packers. Michael Irvin at his worst couldn't hold a candle to the OPI that the Packers get away with. This game is over before it even begins, without even considering how bad the other parts of the RAMS team is playing. The RAMS should save the Airfare, and just stay home.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Although, I am reminded of a personal experience similar to the Rams. Its my sophomore year of high school. Our football team was 0-4 or 0-5, struggling to get anything going. Our next game was a trip down to Artesia to face the undefeated 4A champions led by senior quarterback Landry Jones who just committed to OU. No one gave us a chance. Yet all week long we prepared to win. We believed we could shock the country.

....We lost by 50 points. Sometimes miracles don't happen.
    Ram Mar Ram likes this.