AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rams need to run to slow down pass rush vs. Atlanta

If stopping Michael Vick is the No. 1 priority this week, slowing down the Atlanta pass rush is No. 2.

Last time the teams met, Bulger was very efficient with his passing, completing 24-31 passes for 285 yards. However, he was also sacked five times, including the one in the end zone that resulted in an Atlanta TD.

To slow down this pass rush, the Rams need to run more this time. In the last game, the Rams ran a total of 15 times for 30 yards (Jackson had only 3 carries). While Atlanta is fairly strong against the run, the Rams will need to run more than that to keep the defense honest and give Bulger more time. If that happens, I don't think the Falcons D backs will be able to stay with the Rams' receivers.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams need to run to slow down pass rush vs. Atlanta

I think we just take whatever is given to us, especially if their starting S is still having concussion problems.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Problem is their zone blitzing. It killed us last game. Patriots did it to.

I think they both use a 3-4? Or at least sometimes?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They've got an outstanding pass rush, and the scary thing is, they create a lot of pressure with just a 4-man rush. Kerney has exploded this year and Rod Coleman is filling that inside speed rush that we have been hoping for from D-Lew. Timmerman and McCollum will have their hands full with Coleman. Not the bull rush that they saw out of Grady Jackson & Sam Adams, but a speed rush like they haven't seen. The doughnut brothers better switch to grapefruit this week.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

elAcky Guest

Side note on this.... Has anyone noticed that Jackson is starting to look like the Faulk when we critizised him ie. jinking around the line of scirmmage/not hitting the holes ?

I get the feeling that Faulk has been rejuvenated having been rested so much.. There are very few players in this league that can make the cutbacks he made on saturday.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Problem is their zone blitzing. It killed us last game. Patriots did it to.

I think they both use a 3-4? Or at least sometimes?
    Pats use a 3-4, but Atlanta switched to a 4-3 when Mora arrived, I believe.

I'd like to see some of the delays and draws that we saw this last weekend to try and counter the blitzes.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

All very good points.
    IMO the biggest key is going to be turnovers. We MUST not have any (in our own end), and we MUST create some on D.

I think they can contain Vick if the pass rush does not over pursue.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    All very good points.
    IMO the biggest key is going to be turnovers. We MUST not have any (in our own end), and we MUST create some on D.

I think they can contain Vick if the pass rush does not over pursue.
    68, you've hit upon the beauty of an effective pass rush. If we get defenders in Vick's face, he will make mistakes. Cut off his running lanes, keep him in a ever-shrinking pocket and he WILL cough it up.

We may be underdogs (we're getting 7 points) and on the road, but I think we can win this one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

We may be underdogs (we're getting 7 points) and on the road, but I think we can win this one.
    Without a doubt; we have that swagger back. :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree with Avenger, we need to run early in this game. Like to Jackson get it going, the ribs really slowed him down last week. Maybe run an early screen or end around to slow them down. We used to run the quick pitch to the edge and try and beat the DE into the flat. This is always another good way to make them think before the attack. We have do so misdirection to keep them honest, it could get ugly if we just drop back and pass on every play.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

We should study the dirty bird game vs. the 'ants. The 'ants were able to shut down Vick in the second half and could have possibly won the game in the final moments if you know who was playing as Eli and the offense crapped out in the final moments.

Regardless, their defense made some adjustments and held Vick, et al, in check the entire second half and limited them to 14 first half points.

If we can hit hard on D and run a little, I like our chances!

Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I hate to think the Rams run the ball just because we need to slow down the other team. To me, that's a defeatist attitude.

Throw the dad gum thing. They are going to blitz Bulger crazy. I say, we take advantage if a secondary that isn't that strong and burn them early.

daredevil25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone
    We should study the dirty bird game vs. the 'ants. The 'ants were able to shut down Vick in the second half and could have possibly won the game in the final moments if you know who was playing as Eli and the offense crapped out in the final moments.

Regardless, their defense made some adjustments and held Vick, et al, in check the entire second half and limited them to 14 first half points.

If we can hit hard on D and run a little, I like our chances!

Just about every team does that to the Falcons, that's more off our piss poor halftime adjustments. If it was just a one or two game phenomena I'd give more credit to those teams, but in most every game the Falcons played the 2nd half our offense went nowhere until the fourth quarter.

Sonja Grimes, My Cousin, We Miss and Love You.
    The Falcons Flock Message Board