Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rams need to show courage in the draft

Personally, I like this article and the mindset towards the Rams draft. I'm tired of reading the same old boring draft articles. As in those of the mindset that the Rams must draft an OT because only a 1st round, top ten OT will do.

This is also the first that I have read that the Rams (Devaney) were so impressed by Sanchez. Sanchez certainly seems to be gaining alot of attention while moving up the charts leading up to this weekend's draft. If Sanchez is the right guy to run this new Rams offensive scheme then I think the Rams need to strongly consider drafting him. You're not going to get a draft pick like this every year. Maybe you don't get this opportunity again when you absolutely need a QB.

So, I think that a pick like Sanchez or Curry, which seems to stray from the general school of thought (OT), will take showing some sack. And in that matter I like the theme of the article.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams think the best player in the draft is J.Smith or Monroe, then I guess it shows "courage" to take an OT over more "exciting" guys like Curry, Sanchez or Crabtree.

Whatever... Bernie is just setting himself up so that, whoever the Rams take, he can loop it back to himself. He's like a horoscope: general enough to apply to both everyone and no one.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

As far as I'm concerned it took a lot of sack to draft two tight ends in the first three rounds of a draft. We don't need balls making the decisions anymore... we need brains.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams think the best player in the draft is J.Smith or Monroe, then I guess it shows "courage" to take an OT over more "exciting" guys like Curry, Sanchez or Crabtree.
    Well, "IF" that is truly the case then I don't think it shows any courage. Rather it just shows they are following their board.

The point is, the way I read the article, IF neither smith or monroe are truly at the top of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    As far as I'm concerned it took a lot of sack to draft two tight ends in the first three rounds of a draft. We don't need balls making the decisions anymore... we need brains.
    No, that was just plain stupid and really not equally comparable to this situation. Besides that, if you recall, linehan admitted he had no courage by stating he was "afraid" to lose.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Well, "IF" that is truly the case then I don't think it shows any courage. Rather it just shows they are following their board.

The point is, the way I read the article, IF neither smith or monroe are truly at the top of the board.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

If Sanchez or Curry are at the top of their board, and they take one of them, that's courageous.

If J.Smith or Monroe are at the top of the board, and they take one of them, that's not courageous.

Why? Because some sportswriters who never played, coached or managed in the NFL think that OTs are the "safe" picks and a QB or LB is the "courageous" selection?

All of this is nonsense. I guarantee that Devaney and Spagnuolo are not reading any blogs, compiling the results of mock drafts, or consulting Bernie in their decision. They will take the player they think will help the team the most. To suggest otherwise is aburd.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If Sanchez or Curry are at the top of their board, and they take one of them, that's courageous.

If J.Smith or Monroe are at the top of the board, and they take one of them, that's not courageous.
    Again, I don't read the article that way.

The conventional wisdom is that the Rams must absolutely, positively draft an
    offensive tackle either Jason Smith (Baylor) or Eugene Monroe (Virginia).

Not so fast ...

Look, if Devaney, the scouts and the coaches truly believe that Smith or Monroe
    is the second-best player in this draft then they should go with it. But don't
    take an OT at No. 2 overall for the wrong reason.

You don't draft one of these guys just because Orlando Pace's time in St. Louis
    came to a close. You don't draft Smith or Monroe because you are thin at the
    position. And you certainly don't draft Smith or Monroe because you subscribe
    to the misguided theory that it's imperative to use a premium pick to secure a
    cornerstone left tackle.

Why? Because some sportswriters who never played, coached or managed in the NFL think that OTs are the "safe" picks and a QB or LB is the "courageous" selection?
    I don't think the article says that. You are generalizing. Besides that, none of us has played, coached or managed in the NFL.

All of this is nonsense. I guarantee that Devaney and Spagnuolo are not reading any blogs, compiling the results of mock drafts, or consulting Bernie in their decision. They will take the player they think will help the team the most. To suggest otherwise is aburd.
    Well, you are certainly entitiled to your opinion of nonsense. I, on the other hand, found it to be refreshing as compared to what is being written and then parroted. I don't think you are in any position to guarantee what devaney or spagnuolo are reading. I'd agree that they are not compiling results from mock drafts and just as certain as they are not consulting bernie they are not consulting either of us.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Rams need to show courage in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    ...Devaney or Spagnuolo ... they are not consulting ... us.

Sadly, they don't know what they're missing! I also like what you said here:

I ... found it to be refreshing as compared to what is being written and then parroted.

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Well, I for one, am willing to put my trust in the hands of the football minds of Billy D & Coach Spags. I would hope that they have "prioritized" the needs (all 1,000 of them) of the Rams and are looking to fill those needs on a priority first basis.

Jeeezzzzzee its now 24 hours till the "residue" hits the fan and we start the 2009 draft. I for one am really getting anxious!!!!!!!!!

Hey Billy & Spags: "You go man. Make us proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Fact: The Rams have multiple needs.
    Fact: You don't win in the NFL without a good offensive line, and the Rams' line the past two seasons has been a disaster for a variety of reasons. Good RB's and QB's are rendered useless without a good O-Line.

I don't see Billy Devaney as a gambler; I see him as a guy who will make the most prudent decision possible based on sound personal judgment. I have complete faith that this is the man who will return us first to respectablility then to prominence.

I don't agree with the notion that one must "gamble" or "show balls" to avoid making a conventional pick. A good GM could care less what reporters or fans think and will make the selection that he feels will BEST BENEFIT his team. It might be intriguing for us to consider the Rams picking someone other than whom "the experts" project, but the Jason Smiths and the Eugene Monroes of the world are high on the Rams draft board for a reason- they're very good and fill a glaring need.

To me, selecting Mark Sanchez makes no sense whatsoever. We can go back and forth about Marc Bulger all day, but the bottom line is that the Rams don't NEED a quarterback; they MUST FILL NEEDS at a multitude of other positions. Nothing I've seen or read indicates Mark Sanchez is the next phenomenal QB on the horizon. I'd be shocked if they took him.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very good post / commentary NJRF1! Totally agree.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

How is Bernie "right"? He didn't really say anything.

The Rams should take the player they think is the best available.

Great. There's a real ground shaker.

I don't buy the whole "they had Dorsey rated higher but took Long anyway" nonsense. I've heard the decisionmakers deny this repeatedly, but Bernie keeps repeating it as if its gospel. Bernie just has a hard time letting go of his pet theories.

In the end, a team should consider both perceived talent and need. You don't take a "B" player over an "A" player because of need. However, if you are deciding between prospects who are all in the A range, need has to be a factor.

The best part, though, is Bernie ripping "media simpletons." Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

Just because you don't like Bernie doesn't mean he's never right AV. I don't think I've ever read a post of yours where you've only had positive things to say about Bernie.

I don't know what it is between the two of you, but it's unfortunate because everybody's been right at least once in their life. And I don't know how many times this makes for him, but I certainly agree that he's right this time.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-24-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12