AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams need wins to preserve fragile unity.

Right now, despite a 1-8 record, the seems to be harmony at Rams Park. We have not heard of a single conflict between players, coaches, the front office or ownership. The team, from all appearances, seems to have bought into Steve Spagnuolo's leadership and system. On the field, with the possible exception of the Colts game, the team has played hard for 60 minutes each week.

The question is... how long can this last?

The Rams have 7 games left. There are certainly some games on the schedule that appear entirely "winnable" (Seattle, @Chicago, San Francisco). Moreover, after last week's nail-biter against undefeated New Orleans, no game should be viewed as "unwinnable."

While the true payoff for the team's dedication to the new regime won't come this year, they need to get a taste. Two wins? Three wins? Not sure exactly how many are needed, but the team needs to be able to end the season feeling like real progress is being made.

For those who advocate tanking for the sake of draft slotting, that is my answer. There is far more value in preserving team unity than there is in jumping up a few spots in the draft.

We want the players staying to look forward to next year.

We want free agents to look at the Rams and perceive a team on the rise.

We want this team to be attractive to top notch ownership groups.

There is still work to be done this year.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams need wins to preserve fragile unity.

Absolutely. Although the Cards are playing well, like you said, I don't think any of these games are out of hand anymore. If we win against the Cards, I think we'll see a real momentum shift with this team.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

richtree is offline Registered User

Cards have a defense that is much improved. We should set a goal as a defense to have 3 sacks or more against a weak OL with a slow QB and see what we can do early for once.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right now, despite a 1-8 record, the seems to be harmony at Rams Park. We have not heard of a single conflict between players, coaches, the front office or ownership. The team, from all appearances, seems to have bought into Steve Spagnuolo's leadership and system. On the field, with the possible exception of the Colts game, the team has played hard for 60 minutes each week.

The Rams have 7 games left. There are certainly some games on the schedule that appear entirely "winnable" (Seattle, @Chicago, San Francisco). Moreover, after last week's nail-biter against undefeated New Orleans, no game should be viewed as "unwinnable."

While the true payoff for the team's dedication to the new regime won't come this year, they need to get a taste. Two wins? Three wins? Not sure exactly how many are needed, but the team needs to be able to end the season feeling like real progress is being made.

For those who advocate tanking for the sake of draft slotting, that is my answer. There is far more value in preserving team unity than there is in jumping up a few spots in the draft.

We want the players staying to look forward to next year.

We want free agents to look at the Rams and perceive a team on the rise.

We want this team to be attractive to top notch ownership groups.

There is still work to be done this year.

Absolutely agree 100%. Spags and company, like all rookie coaches in a rebuilding situation, are essentially given a free pass as they shape the roster, trim the non-contributors and make the needed decisions to make the team a winner. Players sick of losing and anxious to turn the page will buy into the new coach's philosophy. But eventually, all the time, hard work and dedication have to pay off in the form of WINS- or locker room harmony and a "feel good" atmosphere won't last long.

No athlete with any degree of self respect or true fan of any sports franchise would suggest "tanking" a game for the sake of bettering your next year's draft position is an OK thing to do. It's one of the most shameful things one could do as a player. And in the Rams situation- with 7 games left of a 16 game season - it is REALLY inexcusable!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

They have bought into the system. We knew it was going to be a long process to turn it around, but the most important part has been accomplished.

I know the Cards are a pretty good team, but we held Drew Brees to less than 300 yards. What's to say we can't do the same to Kurt?

This game could be just as good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

It still just doesn't feel right to me Moose.

The whole Kurt thing...

But anyways, I think we'll play them hard at home. Let's get that W. If they keep improving their performances each week, we'll be racking up the W's.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This Card game always fills me with dread. WE simply do not match up well with there
    Offense. The D sticks it to us a lot also, injuries,TO's, sacks, picks the whole 9 yards.
    This not the week where we get out of the habit, but a sound effort will go a long way
    in my mind. This week just might bring us back down to reality. But as long as theirs
    improvement's in some areas I dont see a problem?
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-20-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Kurt's shown that he is in fact human on a few outings this year. I feel we have a few players on defense that can capitalize if Warner doesn't bring his A game.

I am a bit worried to see the Cards spread 'em out though, as I think our DB's are spread a bit thin already. The greatest concern I have though is that their D is rated pretty high vs. the run. Brown and company are going to have to line up and punch ol' Darnell Dockett in the throat Hasslebeck style to emphasize who's in charge here.

A win would be huge here against one of the better teams in the NFL and probably the best in our division. Not to mention the momentum we'd have steamrolling into the next matchup vs the slumping Hawks.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Cards have a defense that is much improved. We should set a goal as a defense to have 3 sacks or more against a weak OL with a slow QB and see what we can do early for once.
    That slow QB is tearing it up. What Warner lacks in foot speed he makes up in qucik release. I'm afraid he's gonna eat us up........and he loves the DOME!!!!! Bulgers only better quality was he was a bit more mobile.Like the young Bull said to the old bull"let's run down this hill and get us a Cow" and the old Bull said " why don't we walk down there and get them all." we should have stayed with experience
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Its nice to see that, even after all this time, people can still take a thread that has nothing to do with Kurt Warner and make it about him.

Seriously... do you people even read the initial post before responding, or do you just randomly post your irrelevant thoughts?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I would think it will last the rest of the season. We seem to have improved from week to week as a team, and likely will continue that trend. There is no doubt wins will boost our teams' confidence and morale, but even if we only get one more win in the last half of the season, I don't see these guys giving up on each other and Spags .. The plethora of injuries to this team continues though; let's just hope we have better luck in that regard in the 2nd half of the season. This new guy Gibson could be just the catalyst the team needs on offense .. Attaining a few more wins in the latter part of the season doesn't seem so "pie in the sky" any more .. Even if we don't get many or any for that matter, I just don't see the Rams giving up on themselves or their coach. That is a statement I never could have made about the Linehan coached Rams, or even Haslett's Rams, although they seemed to try a little harder for Jim.

So my answer to your question is: The rest of the season at the least!

Gosh!! Looks like Spags and Billy got me to "buy in" as well ...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm not very worried about controling Darnell Dockett. Yes he's a machine at defensive tackle, but I'm confident in our interior, especially with Jason Brown manning the center position.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I would like to see this young team do two things:

1. Learn "how" to win. It seems like they just don't know how to win a close game.

2. Rams have the lead in the 4th quarter and this defense shuts people down.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, now with the way the Titans are playing there is no way you count that game as a win. I see possibly two wins left on the schedule: home games against the Seahawks and whiners. Maybe.

At this point, the Rams have lost four games that were decided on the basis of 5 or fewer plays: Washington, Jacksonville, New Orleans and Arizona. As Tx said, they need to learn to make the key plays to win games of this type.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a game in which the Rams get a comfortable lead and can make a mistake or two without it costing them the game. I agree that the best chances of that are the home games against Seattle and San Francisco.

However, I don't think that any remaining game can't be won.