Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Rams Needs: Quarterback

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53393/

The Rams have used at least three quarterbacks in a regular season game in each of the past two seasons. Injuries and inconsistency have plagued the position and made it difficult for the offense to find a rhythm.

Marc Bulger is set as the teamís starting quarterback heading into 2006. There is no doubt about Bulgerís ability to succeed in the NFL and some believe he is only getting better and could soon be one of the top signal callers in the league.

Veteran Gus Frerotte and youngsters Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jeff Smoker are behind Bulger on the depth chart. Frerotte is a solid backup, but probably doesnít have much in the tank as far as being a starter again in the league.

Fitzpatrick got some limited experience in replacing Bulger in 2005 and had his ups and downs. While Fitzpatrick has a big arm and good athleticism, he struggled some after his dynamic opening act against Houston.

Smoker bounced back and forth between the roster and the practice squad after initially being released in the preseason. He has a good arm and athletic ability, but never really got much of a fair shake with the previous coaching staff. Now, with Doug Nussmeier as the quarterbacks coach (he coached Smoker at Michigan State), Smoker will likely at least get a chance in training camp this time around.

All of that said, there is certainly the need to add some help at this position. While Bulger is clearly talented and a good leader, he has had recurring shoulder problems and that is an obvious concern. The new coaching staff is going to make a concerted effort to keep him protected and he is working in the weight room to make the shoulder stronger so it can take more of a beating if need be.

And though Bulger has struggled with injury issues, he is closing in on the end of his contract. Both of those items make his future a little harder to get a read on than, say, a year ago at this time.

This yearís draft is fairly deep at the quarterback position, headlined by three players that have set themselves aside from the rest of the pack. USCís Matt Leinart, Texasí Vince Young and Vanderbiltís Jay Cutler are the top three prospects and expected to be gone by midway through the first round.

Ramsí coach Scott Linehan is high on all three prospects.

ďYou have the phenom (Young), obviously,Ē Linehan said. ďI think heís going to be something special for somebody next year. Then you have the guy who is the proven guy in Leinart. Then you have the guy who goes across the map and all of a sudden is the best quarterback in probably the best conference in football in Cutler. They are going to be highly coveted in this draft. Itís different than last year. These guys are all unique and different.Ē

While Young and Leinart are almost certain to be gone by the time the Rams come on the clock at No. 11, the team does have interest in Cutler. Cutlerís stock went soaring this past season when he displayed a strong arm and fiery competitiveness.

Cutler was scheduled for a visit with the Rams this week and is a serious consideration should he last until No. 11. With the uncertainty of the future of the position, Cutler could come in and develop behind Bulger with the potential to take over in a few years or should Bulger get hurt again.

The need for a quarterback probably isnít great enough to warrant a first-round pick, but it could happen if the Rams have the quarterbacks rated much higher than the next player on the board.

It wouldnít be a surprise if the Rams made a move on a quarterback at some point in the draft, even if it is a more developmental prospect. Other names to keep in mind include Bowling Greenís Omar Jacobs, Missouriís Brad Smith and Alabama Stateís Tarvaris Jackson.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Rams Needs: Quarterback

I'd love to get Omar Jacobs!

bigredman Guest

I view this not so much as needing to get another QB, but upgrading our interior offensive line, which has not been addressed. That worries me.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-12-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it's stretching it a bit to say third quarterback is a need when we have a player from each of the last two drafts competing for that role. We have an excellent starter and a seasoned back-up. I'd say we have better depth at the QB position than any other on the team except WR.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I think it's stretching it a bit to say third quarterback is a need when we have a player from each of the last two drafts competing for that role. We have an excellent starter and a seasoned back-up. I'd say we have better depth at the QB position than any other on the team except WR.
    I beg to one-up you on that one matey, I say we got an excellent starter in Bulger and a good starter in Gus (who has to take a backup role), and an unexperienced but intelligent and solid backup in Fitzpatrick.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't spend a first or second round choice on ANY QB in this draft.

However, if Omar Jacobs were there in the third (don't think he will be), I'd consider taking him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If we're going to draft a QB, I think it can wait until the second day.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 Guest

We already have four so lets leave it alone this year.

Get the o-line and d-lines better,go after a tight end,and maybe a high profile CB.

bigtiger737 Guest

hmmm I really don't think this will be such a problem this year because we will have more commitment to the run and also be throwing in less 4 reciver sets that leave the qb open up to shots more often.. a fb and tight end blocking more often should hinder injuries a little more

serkicker32 Guest

I always believed in drafting a QB every year. I would like to see us draft a QB in one of the last 3 rounds, never know what could happen.

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    I always believed in drafting a QB every year. I would like to see us draft a QB in one of the last 3 rounds, never know what could happen.
    Ala Fitzy and Smoker.

Aquitted Killer Guest

Fitz is young and inexpierienced right now. But he's also big, fast, strong and very sharp. The mistakes he made last year were rookie mistakes and with a little more time under his belt those mistakes will cease and his timing and accuracy should improve.

RamsFan16 Guest

The more I think about it I would have no problem drafting Jay Cutler or Vince Young in R1 if they are there.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    The more I think about it I would have no problem drafting Jay Cutler or Vince Young in R1 if they are there.
    What's your reasoning?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

RamsFan16 Guest

Don't know. I just don't. I feel that Fitz was going to be a Martz project and that Linehan would like to begin his own project and would do very successful with it. I think that he could develop one of them into a very very good NFL Quarterback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast